Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2016 10:51:17 PM EDT
Im going to start buying parts for my first glock magazine compatible AR. I have decided on going with a Joe Bobs Spartan lower, Kak blade "brace", and 8" ballistic advantage barrel.

What upper and bcg would you all recommend? Also any short, cheap mlok rails that are around 8"? Im thinking about a BCM KMR or Midwest industries but would like to see if there is anything cheaper.

Also any tricks or tips I need to know before I jump into this?

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 11:19:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought a Lone wolf BCG.  It was a good buy at the time at $129.  They use them in their own 9mm carbines and have good quality Glock parts so figured I would give them a try.  

I bough the slick side stripped upper from Rainier Arms all with a 5.5" Ballistic Advantage barrel.  

Also can highly recommend the Runner Runner Guns Spartan lower and a gas deflector kit from JSE Surplus.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 11:26:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Did not know about the Runner Runner lowers. They look to be made by NFA too? I can't find the Spartan version but they do have the Thor lower. I will either buy from them or the Spartan from Joe Bobs, depending on which comes in stock first.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 8:15:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did not know about the Runner Runner lowers. They look to be made by NFA too? I can't find the Spartan version but they do have the Thor lower. I will either buy from them or the Spartan from Joe Bobs, depending on which comes in stock first.
View Quote

They are NFA I think. I just liked the Runner Runner better for looks and roll mark I guess.  

I believe it is the best fit and finish of any lower I have ever handled.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 9:04:35 AM EDT
[#4]
do you want a last round bolt hold open?... if not you might check out MAS Defense for an Aero Precision upper .... they have a selection of non rail hand guards that are reasonable IMHO
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 9:33:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Matrix makes good cheap keymod handguards! I just installed a guntec (which sells mlok) on mine to go with the shorter barrel but wish I had stayed with the matrix.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:31:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't have a 9mm AR yet, but I did use a guntec rail on my 300blk pistol. It was stupid easy to install and it feels good in hand, if not a bit on the heavy side. Very solid.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:32:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
and a gas deflector kit from JSE Surplus.
View Quote

So is a gas deflector kit necessary? I plan on running a slickside upper on my build?
Are you referring to the vent thing that some folks install instead of a FA?
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:59:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 4:45:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

So is a gas deflector kit necessary? I plan on running a slickside upper on my build?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
and a gas deflector kit from JSE Surplus.

No it goes in front of the Brass Deflector.  The 9mm is blowback so gas coming back out the ejection port is much more than a regular DI system.  

I also shoot left handed and will eventually suppress the gun so all the gas I could block from coming back to my face I wanted to try to block.  

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 4:47:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Take note that an 8" ballistic barrel (which I have as well) is only about 7" because their measurement includes the extension.  I have the Odin works 5.5" keymod rail...
Considered the 6.7" slr rail, but couldn't justify the extra $100 for 1.2" of rail.
View Quote

This is also sound advice.  My 5.5" BA Barrel had to be considered 5'.  I am running a KAK slim flash can and a 7.5" rail and the flash can will only peek out less than an inch and it is over 3" long.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:32:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Do the KAK flash cans make the gun louder?
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:54:05 PM EDT
[#12]
No just pushes the concussion and blast forward of the shooter.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 1:38:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Matrix makes good cheap keymod handguards! I just installed a guntec (which sells mlok) on mine to go with the shorter barrel but wish I had stayed with the matrix.
View Quote

I have used the matrix handguards on a few builds and it is pretty good for an inexpensive handguard.

Link Posted: 6/30/2016 8:36:05 AM EDT
[#14]
I just installed a Matrix handguard I got from Chandler Hardwoods and I really like it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 12:30:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Those Matrix Handguards seem to be a heck of a deal. Only concern is that there is no anti-rotation feature on them
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 12:57:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Those Matrix Handguards seem to be a heck of a deal. Only concern is that there is no anti-rotation feature on them
View Quote

The Matrix handguard I have fits pretty snug, even with the bolts not tightened down.  Once I tightened them down, I couldn't budge the handguard.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top