Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/27/2016 7:26:58 PM EDT
I'm thinking about ditching one of my lower end AR's like a PSA or S&W Sport and buying 2 AR15 9mm lowers that take glock mags. I already have a lot of glock 17 and 19 mags and 9mm ammo is a lot cheaper than 5.56 or 300blk. I'm thinking a pistol and a carbine.
I like the deals PSA brings up every few weeks. I am concerned about reliability. I've seen some of the posts here about issues with 9mm AR's. I really don't want to do a "mag block" conversion piece.

What are my options for 2 lowers in the $250 range?
NFA, PSA, Joe Bob's...are they all the same?
Will any 9mm upper with the cut bolt work on any one of these lowers?
Anyone run a 9mm AR in a class...like run the piss out of it?
Finally, which lower would y'all recommend?

Thanks in advance...
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:01:49 PM EDT
[#1]
DO IT...
Shoot indoors, easy to suppress, cheap to reload and shoot.

I have a few Colt system, and one Glock system.
They all work well, the Joe Bob / New Frontier, Glock lower is a bargain.

The New Frontier modular bolt is also a winner.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:35:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the psa glock lower with a matrix arms side charger upper they mate up good.  

I had to trim the sharp blocky angle of the mag catch to help with the mag going into the magwell easier (just rounded it out a small amount)

The coating inside the magwell on mine seems a little thick but the more I used it the mags are dropping out better (unloaded)

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:48:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Was interested in the PSA lower but there are so many threads here with issues I'm not now.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:39:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks y'all. I think I'm going to spring for 2 NFA lowers. With a traditional upper (not side charger) do y'all have any issues with gas in the face when shooting suppressed? Or will a gas buster CH take care of that on a 9mm? I like the side chargers, but it took forever for me to get used to a regular AR15 system after a lifetime of AK's, R1's and R4's - so I want to stick with a traditional CH setup.

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:59:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I built my suppressor and when I first shot it I has some gas blowback, I then drilled some weep holes in the closest 3 freeze plugs which has helped alot, there's also mods you can do to a reg charging handle if you don't want to spend the money on a gas buster one.

This is my first sidecharger that's why I did it but you should be gtg with a regular upper or a 9mm upper. I only told you what I had hands on experience with.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 11:25:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Good call on the glock mag design.  My colt mags work, but are a very old design.  You got to see what happens to a loaded colt type mag when you drop one. Ammo everywhere.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 8:43:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I built my suppressor and when I first shot it I has some gas blowback, I then drilled some weep holes in the closest 3 freeze plugs which has helped alot, there's also mods you can do to a reg charging handle if you don't want to spend the money on a gas buster one.

This is my first sidecharger that's why I did it but you should be gtg with a regular upper or a 9mm upper. I only told you what I had hands on experience with.
View Quote

Thanks. This will probably be a bought can - not sure I want to go drilling into the core
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 8:45:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Good call on the glock mag design.  My colt mags work, but are a very old design.  You got to see what happens to a loaded colt type mag when you drop one. Ammo everywhere.
View Quote

Thanks. I have so many glock mags, that it would have been stupid to take on another mag type. I REALLY wanted a Scorpion, but blowing $1000 in one go makes me feel a bit uneasy. The AR design allows me to buy it piece by piece and spread it out a bit...hell, I can probably build 2 AR's for a price of a loaded Scorpion - if I take my time.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 8:56:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Boerseun... I was impressed with the machine work of my NFA billet lower...I was unable to get all the parts from one supplier, so with a NFA lower and modular bolt, and Aero Precision upper, YHM handguard, charging handle and unknown maker 16" barrel from MAS defense.. less than $800....the complete lower with B5 stock was in that $250 range IIRC... modular bolt, buffer and spring are matched well for my 133pf
pistol 147grain loads...RRA NM trigger added another $90

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 8:59:44 AM EDT
[#10]
I realize this is the AR section, but if I were to bet a 9mm carbine, I would be much more interested in an Evo or MP5.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:09:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Boerseun... I was impressed with the machine work of my NFA billet lower...I was unable to get all the parts from one supplier, so with a NFA lower and modular bolt, and Aero Precision upper, LMT handguard, charging handle and unknown maker 16" barrel from MAS defense.. less than $800....the complete lower with B5 stock was in that $250 range IIRC... modular bolt, buffer and spring are matched well for my 133pf
pistol 147grain loads...RRA NM trigger added another $90

<a href="http://s825.photobucket.com/user/LesSnyder/media/001_zpsmzdqwofs.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz180/LesSnyder/001_zpsmzdqwofs.jpg</a>
View Quote

Nice! That looks like a real shooter!
That's a big standard upper? My BRD is kicking in hard now! Haha
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:09:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I realize this is the AR section, but if I were to bet a 9mm carbine, I would be much more interested in an Evo or MP5.
View Quote

I'd prefer an Evo, but I don't want to buy new mags. I have a boatload Glock mags.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 11:00:22 AM EDT
[#13]
standard Aero Precision upper... I use it for gun games, and don't really need a last round bolt hold open,,, a friend has a CZ EVO pistol with cheek "blade"... I didn't feel the controls were that comfortable to manage.... but I do shoot the AR platform pretty much exclusively
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:22:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Ahhh see, that changes things a bit. I was under the impression I needed to run a specific pistol upper - but these lowers will fit a regular upper...hmmmm. I'm thinking slickside upper will do the job nicely...now off find some barrels.
I'm thinking one 16" and one 5 or 6". I'm going to want a super light barrel for the 16" carbine - or at least something that has most of the weight concentrated close to the chamber. The hunt begins
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 1:23:40 PM EDT
[#15]
HOLD THE DAMN PHONE!
Ok, reading more...I initially thought "Oh well, no LRBHO, no big deal. I just train past it" but now I find out that you can't seat a mag on a closed bolt? If this true? If that's the case, I'll have to get LRBHO open upper or go QC10, right?
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 2:37:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
HOLD THE DAMN PHONE!
Ok, reading more...I initially thought "Oh well, no LRBHO, no big deal. I just train past it" but now I find out that you can't seat a mag on a closed bolt? If this true? If that's the case, I'll have to get LRBHO open upper or go QC10, right?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
HOLD THE DAMN PHONE!

Just get a colt style.

Quoted:
I'm thinking about ditching one of my lower end AR's like a PSA or S&W Sport and buying 2 AR15 9mm lowers that take glock mags.

BTW, don't get rid of any rifles at this point. A year from now you might not be able to get another one.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 6:21:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Just get a colt style.

BTW, don't get rid of any rifles at this point. A year from now you might not be able to get another one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
HOLD THE DAMN PHONE!

Just get a colt style.

Quoted:
I'm thinking about ditching one of my lower end AR's like a PSA or S&W Sport and buying 2 AR15 9mm lowers that take glock mags.

Agreed on holding on to the AR's...the way things are going now!
As for the colt style - a tempting idea, but I might as well go with the Scorpion carbine at that point, due to the mag issue. No variables with the CZ mags.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 6:33:00 PM EDT
[#18]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
HOLD THE DAMN PHONE!

Just get a colt style.

Quoted:

Agreed on holding on to the AR's...the way things are going now!
As for the colt style - a tempting idea, but I might as well go with the Scorpion carbine at that point, due to the mag issue. No variables with the CZ mags.

The Scorpion mags have their own issues. Feed lips breaking.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 9:36:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
HOLD THE DAMN PHONE!
View Quote

My PSA Glock mag lower seats full mags on a closed bolt just fine...
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 9:37:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
HOLD THE DAMN PHONE!
View Quote

You mean on a Glock mag lower?  On mine if you download a mag by one round it seats easily on a closed bolt.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 1:43:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Ah ok. I was wondering. I always download by 1 any way.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top