Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/26/2016 8:33:28 AM EDT
So I have a 9mm SBR lower and I'm trying to figure out a barrel/forearm combo. I know that some of a 9mm barrel's "length" is actually in the receiver so my question is...

If I get say a 5.5" 9mm barrel, how much of the barrel actually extends out past the front of the receiver? Thanks
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 8:37:11 AM EDT
[#1]
About 4.5".
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 10:02:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Yep.

5.5" barrel, 6.5" can with about 1" overlap, 7" rail gives me about ½ of my can exposed beyond the rail.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 11:08:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Subtract 0.5" from the advertised barrel length, and that will be the distance from the forward end of the upper receiver rail to the muzzle of the barrel.
So for instance on my build, I have an 8" barrel and a true 7.5" free float SLR rail, and both the muzzle of the barrel and the far end of the rail are exactly flush with one another.

If you want your barrel's muzzle threads to not be under the rail, then subtract another 0.5" to get your max allowable rail length.

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:27:28 AM EDT
[#4]
So 2 people say an inch and one person says 1/2 inch? Clear as mud
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:38:17 AM EDT
[#5]
It's about a half inch if you want to go to the end of the barrel. If you want to go to the shoulder it should be about a inch depending on what manufacturer you go with. Our handguards are designed to come up just short of the shoulder to allow easy changing of flash hider/ suppressor after the handguard has been installed. Check out these drawings I made up for reference.

Shows the length from the front of the receiver to the shoulder on our barrels.

http://www.quartercircle10.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Barrel-Length-Chart.pdf

Shows the rail length next compared to our barrels mounted with the handguards.

http://www.quartercircle10.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/HANDGUARD-LENGTH-GUIDE-e1455306270315.jpg
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:34:05 AM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So 2 people say an inch and one person says 1/2 inch? Clear as mud
View Quote

Technically both are right, depending what exactly you're trying to measure.  Here's a generic image that may help:

To get "A", Subtract one inch from advertised length.  This would tell you the longest rail you could have that ends at the shoulder on the barrel's muzzle and leaves the threads exposed.

To get "B", Subtract half an inch from advertised length.  This would tell you the longest rail that would completely cover the barrel, including threads.

Distance "C" is one inch, and more literally answers your initial question of how much of the barrel is "in the receiver". but this includes the threaded area of the receiver that extends out past the end of the receiver's rail, and thus the "half inch discrepancy" depends on what you call the "front of the receiver", is it the end of the threads or the end of the upper rail?

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 2:07:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I just bought this barrel last week for mine.

http://micromoa.com/nitrided-6-9mm-ar-barrel-threaded-1-2-28/

It has a tape measure nect to the barrel to give you an idea. Should be pretty clear
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 2:29:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Technically both are right, depending what exactly you're trying to measure.  Here's a generic image that may help:

To get "A", Subtract one inch from advertised length.  This would tell you the longest rail you could have that ends at the shoulder on the barrel's muzzle and leaves the threads exposed.

To get "B", Subtract half an inch from advertised length.  This would tell you the longest rail that would completely cover the barrel, including threads.

Distance "C" is one inch, and more literally answers your initial question of how much of the barrel is "in the receiver". but this includes the threaded area of the receiver that extends out past the end of the receiver's rail, and thus the "half inch discrepancy" depends on what you call the "front of the receiver", is it the end of the threads or the end of the upper rail?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/25626665/pubs/5548663332254885148458456.png  
View Quote

Thank you all for the info especially D_Man (visuals are always a big help!)
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top