Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/22/2016 7:29:32 PM EDT
Picked up a dedicated .22LR upper in a trade.  It's a CMMG WASP 1/16 .22LR barrel and CMMG bolt.  The upper receiver is a POF so this is definitely not a factory upper.  I pulled the barrel and cleaned up everything.  I'm going to build a spare lower to make a dedicated .22 AR.  So far I know I want to get the Better Mag adapter and M&P 15-22 mags for it.  

Is there any other must haves?  It has a standard charging handle currently.  Should I get the CMMG dedicated .22 charging handle?  

Link Posted: 5/22/2016 9:14:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like a good setup. I would use a regular charging handle and see if you have any problems with spent casings jamming in it. If you do, you can get some two part epoxy and fill it in for the first few inches and that should stop it from happening. Will save you some money either way.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 8:45:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a factory cmmg 22lr upper and it eats freaking anything.  If I see thunderbolts or golden turds I buy them, cuz it just doesn't care what you feed it. You'll have fun. I have the cmmg 22 charging handle but I swapped it for an ambi and have had no issues.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:16:18 AM EDT
[#3]
+1 on what Kronus commented about the epoxy to fill the charging handle... I would recommend a pressure plug to push the unit forward... mine actually shoots Thunderbolt quite accurately, as does my Advantage Arms Glock conversion unit... I replaced a broken firing pin at about 4000 rounds with a TACCOM unit
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 5:31:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Got the build all together and got it to the range to try it out.  I had a few different types or ammo with me.  The only major issue I had was with the charging handle.  It was un-latching and cycling rearward with each round fired.  I could grab the charging handle and without depressing the lever pull it past where the latch grabs the upper.  Swapped it out at home with a different charging handle that seems to have a much more secure latch.  Unfortunately I don't know when I will get back to the range to test it out again but it seems fixed now.  

For ammo, I had a couple double feeds, FTE's, and one out of battery detonation, but nothing excessive and seems normal for .22 AR's.  Federal 40gr Hi-Shok cycled really good and so did Federal Auto-Match.  I tried CCI Quiet and it would not cycle or eject those, in it's defense, the box does say it could have issues in semis.  It also did not like Federal Gold Medal Match.  I think I put about 200 rounds through it.  

The only other thing I want to get right now is the Taccom pressure plug and maybe the reliability kit.  Eventually I'll swap out the FSB and MOE hand guard for a longer free float rail and get a Primary Arms red dot or prism scope.  

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 5:38:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Lookin really Good.
500 rounds would break it in well but I can understand some of your ammo troubles.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 12:39:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Updated range report

Put 300 rounds through it tonight with no issues.  It ran CCI mini mags, Federal Automatch, and American Eagle high velocity perfectly.  I swapped out the bad charging handle and did not have any issues with the new one un-latching while being fired.  I'd say it's good to go now.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 9:53:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Sounds great, glad you got it running.  Thanks for the update but be fore warned AR-15's in rimfires can be addicting.    
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 12:26:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Those Boonie Packer mag adapters work well.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top