Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/2/2016 9:09:44 PM EDT
Team,

Using knowledge here I built a dedicated AR22.

CMMG 4.5 barrel
CMMG collar
CMMG bolt (used to be 223/556 conversion)
Spikes blem upper
ALG rail
BDM 15 and 26 round cheapo mags
CMMG mags

I had major issues upon first built so I got a Taccom Extractor and BDM firing pin along with the Lakeside spring kit. Installed shorter recoil spring and other items in the bolt and runs over 99% with Federal bulk, 95% with Winchester.

However lead bullets are feeding terribly. This is mainly in pulling charging handle back and letting go. Round jams part way into the chamber. This occurs with Federal Auto Match, CCI standard and quiet.

I tried the methods in another thread, buff the feed ramp and copper brush in the chamber though I could try again?

Thanks,

Pics of rounds

NOT MY IMAGE but same thing occurs
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:41:19 PM EDT
[#1]
When I first got my 4.5 cmmg barrel and bolt, it jammed all the time. I buffed the chamber and ramp. Still jammed. I actually sent it to cmmg on their dime. They explained that there was an issue with the bolt, I don't remember what exactly. Email them, and also check rim fire central.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:27:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Look up "buzzing" the chamber. It will help with small burs. Look at the collar and see how the feed ramp lines up with the chamber.

MAHA
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 11:29:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Most likely the collar and chamber don't line up correctly.

Dave N
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 12:04:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like something is preventing the case from sliding up the bolt face to decrease the feed angle of the round as it chambers. I would also check the extractor tension and fit with a spent shell case. Does the shell slide up the bolt face and under the claw with little effort? Bolt face may need a polish, as well as the extractor claw filed/fit so as not to trap the case against the opposite bolt face fall with too much tension.

Edited to add: The feed ramp could also have a sharp transition from the ramp the the chamber. I had to round mine over slightly on my M261 kit to get it to feed plain lead .22 rounds. Worked great with harder copper washed CCI and Fedeal Bulk before that, but had the same failures you're seeing until I broke the edge over with a file and some 400 grit emory cloth. Now it feeds anything.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 8:58:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the reply's.

I did buzz the chamber when I first built her but I can try again tomorrow.

Not quite sure if there is a way to check the collar and barrel without removing from the bolt.

A spent case does fit under the extractor but with a hair of resistance. Bolt has ~5000 rounds through her before I removed the 223 collar and attached the dedicated collar.

Took some pictures, couldn't decide which was better so I uploaded them all LOL

Thanks,
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 11:49:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm gonna go out on a limb here......one of the pics looks like the round is NOT slipping up in between the extractor and bolt face. That would mean that the extractor needs to have a little lovin done to it.

Easy way to check that out......remove the extractor and see if it feeds......if it feeds.....boom, done!! the round needs to freely slip up there.

And yes......you could try just firing it too.

Tim
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 8:33:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Get a Taccom reliability kit and put in it.

Dave N
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 11:27:49 AM EDT
[#8]
So based on the pictures, does the feed ramp seem to line up with the chamber?

Quoted:
Get a Taccom reliability kit and put in it.

Dave N
View Quote

Dave, I have thought about the kit but at this point I already have their extractor. The lower is shared between the 22 and a 223 upper so I would have to remove the plug when swapping.

Quoted:
I'm gonna go out on a limb here......one of the pics looks like the round is NOT slipping up in between the extractor and bolt face. That would mean that the extractor needs to have a little lovin done to it.

Easy way to check that out......remove the extractor and see if it feeds......if it feeds.....boom, done!! the round needs to freely slip up there.

And yes......you could try just firing it too.

Tim
View Quote

Tim, this is a good idea and will try when I can. If it feeds without the extractor, what work do you recommend? Lightly polishing the extractor with fine sand paper?

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 7:38:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Removing the Taccom pressure plug takes mere seconds and reinstall is just as quick. Not misplacing the plug at my age once removed, is the real challenge

Is this a Stainless Bolt or parked? Maybe just the residue makes it look parked?   Our first was a coated unit and it took some wearing in and polishing to get it going 100%. But when we did it worked great.

Link Posted: 5/18/2016 8:07:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Finally got around to testing without the extractor and of the 11 rounds I manually cycled (pointing at a bunch of phone books), it chambered them all fine. Fed Auto Match, CCI Quiet, and Federal HV Match.

So with this info, what should I do to the extractor? It's from Taccom. Light sanding maybe?

ETA Tried a couple Remington Subsonic and they chambered fine. I tried 8 more CC Quiet and all but one chambered great.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 8:12:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Removing the Taccom pressure plug takes mere seconds and reinstall is just as quick. Not misplacing the plug at my age once removed, is the real challenge

Is this a Stainless Bolt or parked? Maybe just the residue makes it look parked?   Our first was a coated unit and it took some wearing in and polishing to get it going 100%. But when we did it worked great.

View Quote

Bolt is parked and was cleaned nearly 100% before putting the collar on.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 11:47:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Finally got around to testing without the extractor and of the 11 rounds I manually cycled (pointing at a bunch of phone books), it chambered them all fine. Fed Auto Match, CCI Quiet, and Federal HV Match.
So with this info, what should I do to the extractor? It's from Taccom. Light sanding maybe?
ETA Tried a couple Remington Subsonic and they chambered fine. I tried 8 more CC Quiet and all but one chambered great.
View Quote

I use 400 grit or finer sand paper. The key is the only change the hook part of the extractor, the part the case rim slides under. A sharpening stone will work as well go slow and take your time. This will be an time where taking too much will cost you an extractor.

MAHA
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 4:22:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I use 400 grit or finer sand paper. The key is the only change the hook part of the extractor, the part the case rim slides under. A sharpening stone will work as well go slow and take your time. This will be an time where taking too much will cost you an extractor.

MAHA
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

MAHA

Think I have some of that grit or finer. Will try it either tonight or tomorrow, doing a local 3gun with it Saturday so it's gotta work by then lol

Thanks,
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 9:29:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Think I have some of that grit or finer. Will try it either tonight or tomorrow, doing a local 3gun with it Saturday so it's gotta work by then lol

Thanks,
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

MAHA

Thanks,

I had a choice between 80 and 800 grit. Using the 800 grit I lightly sanded the hook. Installed and manually chambered all 15 lead nose rounds. So it should be fixed.

Will update after a fun day shooting Saturday.

Thanks all!!
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 2:58:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I had a choice between 80 and 800 grit. Using the 800 grit I lightly sanded the hook. Installed and manually chambered all 15 lead nose rounds. So it should be fixed.

Thanks all!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

MAHA

Thanks,

Thanks all!!

Put 20 rounds of lead nose bullets downrange Saturday and chambered great.

Need to clip the recoil spring so it cycles with cci quiets.

Thanks for help all.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 2:40:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the update.  I had this exact same issue when I first took mine out.  Tried buzzing the chamber, didn't seem to do much, so going to give this a try this weekend hopefully.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top