Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/10/2016 2:31:04 AM EDT
I removed cotter pin expect firing pin to fall out like usual. Am I missing something? My first 9mm, so I wasn't sure if I should try to pull out with needle nose pliers.

UPDATE. Received return shipping label. I did take it out this afternoon. Nothing but light strikes.
I hope MAS can resolve this. I would hate for this thing to turn into a money pit.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 7:50:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 4:39:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Figured it out. The flanges on the weight are slightly bowed in. Effectively capturing the rear of firing pin. Will contact MAS for replacement.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 11:21:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Just got mine in the mail. Hope to take it out in the next few days and report back.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 5:12:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I removed cotter pin expect firing pin to fall out like usual. Am I missing something? My first 9mm, so I wasn't sure if I should try to pull out with needle nose pliers.
View Quote

Yeah had that happen on my MAS bolt. The steel weight in the rear of the bolt is holding it in. You will have to remove the weight in order to take it out and place it back in properly. My MAS bolt is DOA when I tried it last Friday. Emailed them and now I wait. It looks like this batch of bolts have a few problems . Should have bough a cmmg again
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 9:59:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yeah had that happen on my MAS bolt. The steel weight in the rear of the bolt is holding it in. You will have to remove the weight in order to take it out and place it back in properly. My MAS bolt is DOA when I tried it last Friday. Emailed them and now I wait. It looks like this batch of bolts have a few problems . Should have bough a cmmg again
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I put mine in the mail back to them today. Hopefully that refund hits quickly because that bolt had firing pin issues (light primer strikes) and for some reason was causing feeding issues.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 10:30:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I put mine in the mail back to them today. Hopefully that refund hits quickly because that bolt had firing pin issues (light primer strikes) and for some reason was causing feeding issues.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can only imagine whats going on a MAS Defense right now with returns on these bolts. From the sample of people having problems on arfcom, I think the whole batch was out of spec. They should have tested a few before sending them out. When I get the refund I'm going to get a cmmg unless they fix the problem then that will make me happy too. Anyhow I'm not buying anymore cheap 9mm bolts.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 11:59:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I can only imagine whats going on a MAS Defense right now with returns on these bolts. From the sample of people having problems on arfcom, I think the whole batch was out of spec. They should have tested a few before sending them out. When I get the refund I'm going to get a cmmg unless they fix the problem then that will make me happy too. Anyhow I'm not buying anymore cheap 9mm bolts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.  I went through a lot of troubleshooting (swapping triggers, adjusting my mag block, etc) trying to figure out what the issues were.  As soon as I swapped my MAS bolt for a Macon Armory bolt, all my issues went away.  I'm still trying to figure out why the bolt was the culprit for chambering issues, but evidence doesn't lie.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 11:15:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Just took mine out tonight for the first time. Had a few light strikes as well. Looks like it's going back too.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 2:39:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Wow. How can a company that sell firearm parts, critical parts no less, put their name in such a crap product. Surely a sample was tested no? Seems a lot of people bit at the low price.... I almost did, thankfully the bad reports started popping up before that.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 12:42:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Wow. How can a company that sell firearm parts, critical parts no less, put their name in such a crap product. Surely a sample was tested no? Seems a lot of people bit at the low price.... I almost did, thankfully the bad reports started popping up before that.
View Quote

They called yesterday and the bolt in route back to them today. Now I wait and see what happens. I have bought from MAS before with no problems but this time I bought one of their barrels. I kind of worry about it now. I may have made two mistakes
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 3:08:51 PM EDT
[#11]
With the amount of returns I wonder what the turn around will be? I want to give them a chance to make it right. But rather not wait several months.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 9:55:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I had bought a barrel and bolt from the and had jams. I'm having the barrel worked on and will text both out and let you know how it runs thereafter. I'm thinking he barrel may have been the culprit but we will see.  The bolt seemed to function wih my first run.  Again, I'll let you guys know.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 11:45:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I had bought a barrel and bolt from the and had jams. I'm having the barrel worked on and will text both out and let you know how it runs thereafter. I'm thinking he barrel may have been the culprit but we will see.  The bolt seemed to function wih my first run.  Again, I'll let you guys know.
View Quote

After hearing your problem with their barrel I'm feeling extremely confident in my barrel purchase
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 7:06:42 AM EDT
[#14]
The barrel was $110 and the work done was $50.   So overall it's about the same price as some barrels from other vendors.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 11:40:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The barrel was $110 and the work done was $50.   So overall it's about the same price as some barrels from other vendors.
View Quote

What was done to the barrel? Was it a head space issue or was the extension screwy or ?
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 6:09:00 AM EDT
[#16]
The round coming from the right seat position of the colt mag would lodge up against the barrel mouth. I'm having the barrel mouth worked on. I'm due to get it back today.  So not sure what it looks like yet.  I did take before pictures.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 10:19:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 11:10:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

A little of both.....but after working it...I popped it in an upper and test fired a full mag.....No issues....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What was done to the barrel? Was it a head space issue or was the extension screwy or ?

A little of both.....but after working it...I popped it in an upper and test fired a full mag.....No issues....

Rudy, now my confidence on their barrels is really shot..no pun intended. I guess I'll find out whenever my upper comes in for the pistol build
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:53:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Update: I got a call from Mario today to let me know that with this particular batch of 9mm bolts, they've received calls about 7 of them.  They're not sure what the problem is as this is a small percentage of the batch, but they are test firing all of their new ones to ensure proper function.  I was offered a refund or one of the new bolts, and since I already have a Macon Armory bolt, I chose the refund option.

I will say that MAS customer service has been pretty spot on so far, and hopefully they're getting the kinks on these bolts worked out.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:28:49 PM EDT
[#20]
I got the call as well about refund or a new one. I got a new one on the way since they are test firing all the new ones and there customer service was awesome. I understand every once and a while your going to have some bad machining it happens to everyone.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:57:15 PM EDT
[#21]
I got the call also. Since they are test firing I'm fine with a replacement.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 5:54:31 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm glad to hear of the refund or replacement. I wasn't sure what to do.  My gun still jams after getting the barrel worked on.   Rudy looked at the bolt and thought it was ok.   When he test fired it the two worked for him. But I still had jams.  Prior to the barrel work I had about 20 out of 50 jamming and following the barrel work I had 7 jams out of 50.   I'm pleased wih the work Rudy did and he called me up to talk about what he was going to do.  I would do business with him again.  Burn this has not solved the problem although it improved the situation.

I'm contacting Mas like you guys.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:36:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:24:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Yup I got the call too. I was told the same. I opted for a replacement, if they can't make it work they will refund it.

I think if it's 7 so far that more will follow. Some people buy the bolt and don't use it for some time. It happens because I've done that myself
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 3:13:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Yup I got the call too. I was told the same. I opted for a replacement, if they can't make it work they will refund it.

I think if it's 7 so far that more will follow. Some people buy the bolt and don't use it for some time. It happens because I've done that myself
View Quote

Do you call them or did they call you?
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:47:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I emailed them and then they contacted me
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 6:41:07 PM EDT
[#27]
They called me, took about a week
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 1:16:02 PM EDT
[#28]
I spoke to MAS and they said less than 1% of the bolts are having problems. They are shipping my boot back, testing it and then letting me know. They feel that its my PSA mag block contributing to the problem.

Rudy, im going to check that extractor tonight.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 12:08:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 7:01:41 AM EDT
[#30]
It's the jam where the round seated in the right column of the mag gets pushed forward by the bolt and lodges between the bolt and barrel in a diagonal line. It seems to only happen with the round seated in the right hand column of the mag. So first round could jam and then any other right seated round. The work you did to my barrel's mouth helped reduce the amount of jams but it is still having the same jam but less frequent.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 6:02:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Received new bolt, tested fired. Its worse, NO STRIKES!! Right now I'm using standard GI trigger group. Should I try one of my SSA-E trigger groups?
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 6:29:41 PM EDT
[#32]
I just got my new bolt in the mail. I will hopefully go shooting this weekend and test it out. Side note the customer service was awesome and got a couple extra goodies in my box.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 12:56:17 AM EDT
[#33]
I got mine in the mail today but I'll not be able to shoot it until next week. They say these are Test fired. I'll know more next week
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 6:58:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 11:36:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Thank for the offer but I'm in Cumming, 120 mile one way.
I did determine the hammer (wolff extra power hammer spring) is hitting the FP by using dab of white paint on end of FP.
See if this makes sense. I have extra lowers with alg and SSA-E triggers. Manually load chamber and drop bolt using these lowers and see if I can get ignition or at least a primer strike. If they do go off then move the trigger group to the 9mm lower.

UPDATE, Just talked to MAS, they offered for me send in complete upper to figure it out. I opted to take it to local smith (Alpharetta Police Armorer). Initial inspection shows good solid hits on FP. Will update when/if resolved.

MAS has been quick with responses and happy with CS. I just wanted to let my smith look at in case it is something simple.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 3:50:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Anyone else had time to test their "new" MAS defense bolts that were shipped?
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 10:38:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Ok just tested mine and it ran awesome. Ran about 200 rds and not one issue!
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 7:41:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Well its going back. Checked head space. Then Smith found hammer hitting the bolt and machined the hammer to clear. Still experiencing some light strikes. Then checked firing pin protrusion and it is only 0.020” and typical “Colt” protrusion is 0.035-0.040”. He contacted MAS, they said contact them for RMA.
I'm thinking get JP bolt.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 8:42:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Ill be able to test mine tomorrow
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 7:58:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Ill be able to test mine tomorrow
View Quote

Shit I'm quoting myself

Was able to test out the bolt yesterday and had several light primer strikes. My cmmg bolt in the same gun runs with no issues. I think I'm going to take the bolt from mas apart and see if something is off with the firing pin. I'll know more once I do that.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 7:58:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Double tap.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 5:23:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Took mine out again ran another 100 still no issues
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 8:23:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Got a Spinta bolt, runs 100%.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 9:57:25 PM EDT
[#44]
I was able to take apart the MAS bolt today and compare it to my CMMG bolt on the firing pin and spring. The firing pin and spring on the top are MAS defense and on bottom are cmmg. Do you think the spring size might cause a random failure to fire?
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 10:10:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I was able to take apart the MAS bolt today and compare it to my CMMG bolt on the firing pin and spring. The firing pin and spring on the top are MAS defense and on bottom are cmmg. Do you think the spring size might cause a random failure to fire?
http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/a437/mark356/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160515_175720_zps8rqr2ts9.jpg
View Quote

Might be. It is a lot easier to push the FP forward  on the Spinta bolt. FP protrusion is a lot more pronouned also. I got the feeling MAS wants to fault something other than the bolt. Obviously that's not the case. My matrix pistol is running great now. No feeding nor ejection problems.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 10:57:20 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Might be. It is a lot easier to push the FP forward  on the Spinta bolt. FP protrusion is a lot more pronouned also. I got the feeling MAS wants to fault something other than the bolt. Obviously that's not the case. My matrix pistol is running great now. No feeding nor ejection problems.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/a437/mark356/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160515_175720_zps8rqr2ts9.jpg

I have an extra firing pin and spring in my repair kit and I'm going to replace the mas pin and spring with them. I'll take it out to the range this week and see if that takes care of occasionally light prime strike.

This is the bolt they said they test fired before . I guess one round made it gtg but my first round with it was a no go. After that it worked better.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 11:52:00 AM EDT
[#47]
On mine the hammer was hitting those bowed in flanges of the weight. Once the hammer was milled to clear I started to get 1 out 3 ftf which was an improvement from all ftf.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 1:49:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Well I give up on my new mas defense 9mm bolt. Took it out to the range today with a new (spare) spring/firing pin and had 100% failure to fire with steel case 9mm and only one fire with brass cased 9mm. . I'm going to call mas defense on Tuesday and ask for a refund or an exchange for a cmmg 9mm bolt.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 5:51:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Let us know how MAS responds. Like I said they seem to want to blame anything other than the bolt. My matrix runs like a screaming banshee with the Spinta bolt. 250 round with a bunch of rapid fire, not one hiccup.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top