Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2016 12:04:48 AM EDT
Any experience? Would you do it again? Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:07:05 AM EDT
[#1]
If you plan on shooting the gun exclusively suppressed there's not issue.  It's if you want to shoot it without the suppressor that it becomes an issue.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:10:57 AM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:15:33 AM EDT
[#3]
If you have a dedicated suppressor host, do it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:28:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Any issues with heat?
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:39:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Not unless you're doing 10 mag dumps  in a row
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:43:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Fine for a pistol caliber carbine (yes I see this is the pistol caliber subforum). It's a horrible idea with a rifle caliber outside of something like subsonic .300 BLK though.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:28:00 AM EDT
[#7]
It's the only way to go with pistol caliber SBR and a can.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:52:23 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm building a second 9mm upper because I've decided that I do want to shoot it unsuppressed.  Also, rear mount likes to unscrew from the can which is almost impossible to remove without the can.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:12:14 AM EDT
[#9]
PCC it's good to go.
I put a 3 lug on mine.
It's worked out great.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:58:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Edcurtis and On1tyr... Great looking guns! I see you have the same handguard. Could you give me the measurements please? Is that a 5 -5.5" barrel and what manufacturer is that handgard? I can't zoom enough to read the white writing on On1tyr's. They kind of look like Seekins Precision but I don't remember Seekins having white writing on it. What length is the guard? 12"? Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 9:14:34 AM EDT
[#11]
sbr with a can only way to roll. here you go 1.8 internal dia
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:50:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Can you guys seriously hold on to the handguard during a decent range session?  

I have to imagine the heat would get pretty intense.  Say for example, running a 20-30 round stage a few times in succession for practice?
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:07:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Edcurtis and On1tyr... Great looking guns! I see you have the same handguard. Could you give me the measurements please? Is that a 5 -5.5" barrel and what manufacturer is that handgard? I can't zoom enough to read the white writing on On1tyr's. They kind of look like Seekins Precision but I don't remember Seekins having white writing on it. What length is the guard? 12"? Thanks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Mine is a 7.5" barrel with a 10" Samson Evolution handguard and a Gemtech Multimount can with the 1/2-28 direct thread mount.  Remember that 9mm barrels protrude less than 5.56 inch for inch due to lacking of a barrel extension.  Note that in my pic above, the handguard isn't centered because I had removed it to replace the ejection port cover and didn't tighten it down before taking the pic.

Same gun while being built:

Quoted:
Can you guys seriously hold on to the handguard during a decent range session?  

I have to imagine the heat would get pretty intense.  Say for example, running a 20-30 round stage a few times in succession for practice?

Yes, I hold onto the handguard.  Heat is not really an issue.  Granted it's semi auto and I rarely shoot over 150 rounds in one range session.  I'm also not doing rapid fire through more than two mags at once.  I typically shoot magazines filled with 10-20 (sometimes all 32) rounds back to back and it's just not an issue.  I usually wear a glove on my trigger hand though so that I can check the suppressor to ensure it's tight (direct thread for me).  My bigger problem is the can unscrewing from it's mount rather than the mount unscrewing when I want to remove the can to put on a different gun.  When I built it, I always intended to only shoot it suppressed.  Now I want options.  I've purchased a 4" handguard and 4.5" barrel and have pretty much decided just to build a second upper.  If I can nail down the mounting to the new barrel (different thread pitch, thinking about 3 lug), I may very well get rid of the current upper.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 9:00:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Any experience? Would you do it again? Thanks.
View Quote

I have it on one of my 9mm SBR's. Its okay but after thinking it over on my next SBR I decided not to go that route again. Mostly preference for wanting to shoot it without the can attached.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:17:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Fine for a pistol caliber carbine (yes I see this is the pistol caliber subforum). It's a horrible idea with a rifle caliber outside of something like subsonic .300 BLK though.
View Quote

I'd say that's a little broad of a statement to make.  Lots of people run rifle caliber cans under handguards, myself included, with no issue.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:40:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have a 4.5" barrel with 9" handguard.  And it is a Samson Evo.

IMO, 4.5 barrel with 9" handguard is perfect for a dedicated suppressed pistol caliber rifle.  Like someone else said, if you plan on swapping the suppressor out it can be difficult if the mount stays on the barrel.  So that's why I bought a second suppressor so I can just leave it on there

My picture is with the Octane 9.  I also have a Tirant 9, but it's just a hair long and sticks out a little futher.

IMO, my favorite gun.  I love it, it's fun to shoot, quiet, very accurate and ammo is a little cheaper
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:09:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm building a second 9mm upper because I've decided that I do want to shoot it unsuppressed.  Also, rear mount likes to unscrew from the can which is almost impossible to remove without the can.
View Quote

+1, this is something to consider.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:46:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree.  3 lug or leave dedicated.  

But srsly guyz... Who wants to shoot unsuppressed?
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:22:21 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If I end up getting orders to HI or NY I can't take my suppressor with me....of course if I end up in NY I can't take almost anything with me.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 1:02:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I'd say that's a little broad of a statement to make.  Lots of people run rifle caliber cans under handguards, myself included, with no issue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No...it's not. Been there don't that. It's a horrible idea.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 1:10:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 1:56:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Even with only 1/2 the can under the handguard it transfers too much heat to the rail...to the point that without gloves the entire rail gets too hot to handle after 3-4 magazines.  For single shots or maybe a mag...sure it's fine.  Unless I'm hunting I rarely shoot less than 1 mag...
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 8:49:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Even with only 1/2 the can under the handguard it transfers too much heat to the rail...to the point that without gloves the entire rail gets too hot to handle after 3-4 magazines.  For single shots or maybe a mag...sure it's fine.  Unless I'm hunting I rarely shoot less than 1 mag...
View Quote

Makes sense.  I use my SBR exclusively for hunting so I guess that's why I've never had an issue w/ my setup.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 9:16:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Hindsight being 20/20, I wish I'd used a 3-lug barrel on my build.  I'm actually tempted to get a 3-lug mount and a pair of 3-lug muzzle adapters for both my existing build and the new build.

The downside is that I'd be spending $250 for the adapters and mount vs $75 for one more direct thread mount.....
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:35:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Here's mine, using my Form 1 can which I've pretty much dedicated to this upper.

It love me long time.  Might be my favorite upper.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:47:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

If I end up getting orders to HI or NY I can't take my suppressor with me....of course if I end up in NY I can't take almost anything with me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Take your check book to either location! I was stationed in Pearl for 3 years and it was a bargain when it was $7 beer night at the local watering hole
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 3:15:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Yeah I don't want to get stationed n either place. HI is expensive and the locals hate us, and NY sucks and the base is an hour away from my MIL (guess which one is the bigger detractor )
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 3:45:49 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote

My experience as well though I'm considering giving it another shot for a rimfire AR.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:56:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

My experience as well though I'm considering giving it another shot for a rimfire AR.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For rimfire or pistol calibers it's a great option. But rifle rounds generate way too much heat to make it a feasible option unless you're only firing a few shots hunting or like to wear asbestos gloves.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:04:56 AM EDT
[#30]
I don't really do multiple mag dumps, but this has worked well for me. 3 lug makes it pretty easy.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:07:52 AM EDT
[#31]
I have a 4.5" .22 with a 7" rail over the can.

I'm building an 8" 9mm with a 7" rail, can outside of the rail.

Depends. I have 3 .22 cans, no point in removing it. Shooting un-suppressed is pointless to me. I only have 1 9mm can and the OD is 1.5". I don't want a huge long rail where shooting un-suppressed will heat up the rail.

For the record, 7" is the lowest I will go in a rail.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:02:59 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
For rimfire or pistol calibers it's a great option. But rifle rounds generate way too much heat to make it a feasible option unless you're only firing a few shots hunting or like to wear asbestos gloves.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I found even pistol caliber suppressor to get too hot. With PC and rimfire I'm going to be rapid firing and want to manage the heat. I've got a MP5SD handguard that I really want to incorporate into a build.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:19:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I don't really do multiple mag dumps, but this has worked well for me. 3 lug makes it pretty easy.

<a href="http://s1019.photobucket.com/user/beanfield2/media/ar15/IMG_20140905_125819685_HDR_zpszxhhjp91.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af316/beanfield2/ar15/IMG_20140905_125819685_HDR_zpszxhhjp91.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s1019.photobucket.com/user/beanfield2/media/IMG_20141230_134734816_zpsw5lxccxy.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af316/beanfield2/IMG_20141230_134734816_zpsw5lxccxy.jpg</a>

View Quote

That is a great looking gun Beanfield.... Very nice. Is that the stock finish or did you have it Cerakoted?
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 6:57:40 PM EDT
[#34]

I dig it
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 9:03:33 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
That is a great looking gun Beanfield.... Very nice. Is that the stock finish or did you have it Cerakoted?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

<a href="http://s1019.photobucket.com/user/beanfield2/media/ar15/IMG_20140905_125819685_HDR_zpszxhhjp91.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af316/beanfield2/ar15/IMG_20140905_125819685_HDR_zpszxhhjp91.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s1019.photobucket.com/user/beanfield2/media/IMG_20141230_134734816_zpsw5lxccxy.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af316/beanfield2/IMG_20141230_134734816_zpsw5lxccxy.jpg</a>

Thanks. The finish is stock... Although it came out looking better in the pics than in person.

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top