Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/4/2016 9:33:43 PM EDT
Got problems with light strikes and FTFire on my recent AR9 build. Built on a QC10 upper and lower receiver group using a Green Mountain 10.5" barrel and NFA standard 9mm Glock cut bolt. Sent a IM to Rudy with Macon Armory to see what he says or can do. Don't really know who is a fault yet be it the barrel or the bolt.

But this sucks... What's your thoughts on fixing it?

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 9:47:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Pull barrel out of receiver.. set barrel back... if you understand simple machine work, be done on lathe in maybe 15 minutes.. use a sized commercial case as a gauge.. use a 0.744 case and face the barrel to get desired case protrusion from chamber to 0.135".. whatever you took off barrel face, take similar amount from from ring to let barrel sit back into upper bore...

Rudy will do the work just fine and dandy for you... Ive had to set back 2 of my own barrels,,, the SAAMI thing with 9mm is a farce..

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 10:08:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey thanks for posting my pic! Couldn't get it to myself. But yea I have no machines here to turn it down on a lathe. The round you see in the chamber is a factory loaded 147gr Win Ranger HP. I do reload but used the factory ammo to see if it was me and its not my ammo sadly. Waiting to hear back from Rudy. Had about 6-7 FTFire out of about 15 rounds and just gave up after that this afternoon and started investigating what the heck was happening.

Thanks!

Bill
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 10:13:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:08:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Got problems with light strikes and FTFire on my recent AR9 build. Built on a QC10 upper and lower receiver group using a Green Mountain 10.5" barrel and NFA standard 9mm Glock cut bolt. Sent a IM to Rudy with Macon Armory to see what he says or can do. Don't really know who is a fault yet be it the barrel or the bolt.

But this sucks... What's your thoughts on fixing it?

View Quote

Do you have a depth mic/ caliper to check the depth of the bolt?
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 6:46:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Yea, I would like to check bolt face depth but don't know what number I'm looking for to be in spec? That way I'm not wasting my or GM time by sending them the barrel back if it's the bolt that's out of spec. If it's the bolt then I will contact Rudy and make arrangements to send the parts to be machined to make it gtg.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 6:48:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Is it .125"?
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 8:51:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is it .125"?
View Quote

Bolt face pocket depth for COLT style bolt is 0.125"...  set the barrel to have case stick out 0.135" using a 0.744 case.... this assures cartridge is sammiched between bolt face and case mouth, and a 0.010" gap between front most of bolt to barrel face for crap to build and not affect chambering if extremely dirty.. 13yr 9mm here in AR-15
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 9:52:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 4:47:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Had to go get a new battery for the caliper that I use for reloading. To check to see if it was a bad bolt. What I came up with using the depth guage on the end was 0.1255" depth in the pocket of the bolt face. I will take barrel of upper and see if I can slip a feeler gauge in there to see how much the chamber is off.

Green Mountain gave me the green light to ship barrel back for a QC to look over. If they find its out of spec they will issue me another barrel. Hopefully it's just a one off thing as everyone who bought a 9mm barrel gave high review.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 5:49:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Dropped a case that measured .744" in chamber and was not able to stick a feeler gauge in gap but used caliper and came up with .120" protrusion of case head out of chamber.

Barrel boxed up and will go back to Green Mountain tomorrow for their inspection and hopefully a exchange. Really look forward to shooting this and it be reliable ha-ha.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:33:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Include a note in the box that you want a 0.135 case protrusion from barrel face using your supplied case as a gauge (put in bag and tape to barrel along with note)
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 8:12:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Where we at with the repair ?

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 10:03:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Where we at with the repair ?

View Quote

Still waiting to hear back from Green Mountain. They have it in their possession as of Thursday...
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 10:44:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 1:55:32 AM EDT
[#15]
After reading this thread I decided to check some numbers, and on my bolt, I am getting a depth of .116 if I am measuring correctly.. is that far enough off of the .125 that I should consider contacting the manufacturer of the bolt?
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 12:16:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Man..got a call from Mike at GM and they're response in their inspection was it was "with in" spec from breach to muzzle and is returning the barrel back to me. Man what a let down. Even sent picture to them of the factory loaded ammo that y'all see here.

Rudy I will be calling you for your services if that's OK sir?

Something def isn't right.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 4:31:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Damn...sorry I missed this....I didn't see any emails....but then again I have been snowed under in the shop.....Michael and the crew at GM will definitely fix you up......
Call me at the shop if I can help...478 474-2990
View Quote

Called and left name and number with the nice lady on the phone. Look forward to hearing from you.

Bill
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 8:08:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
After reading this thread I decided to check some numbers, and on my bolt, I am getting a depth of .116 if I am measuring correctly.. is that far enough off of the .125 that I should consider contacting the manufacturer of the bolt?
View Quote

Run with the .116, use it to your advantage toward sammiching the case head and case mouth when chambered
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 7:41:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Damn...sorry I missed this....I didn't see any emails....but then again I have been snowed under in the shop.....Michael and the crew at GM will definitely fix you up......
Call me at the shop if I can help...478 474-2990
View Quote

OK Rudy got the barrel back today from Green Mountain. Ready to ship the NFA bolt, GM barrel and a sized 0.744" case your way. Just need address to ship to and any further instructions?

Thanks Rudy!

Bill
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 12:53:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 9:52:43 PM EDT
[#21]
How did we make out with this barrel ?? Interested to know how it was "in-spec" and not function proper..

Findings ??
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 7:09:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I be waitin.....
View Quote

USPS priority and set to deliver today at you shop Rudy, thanks man! Sorry took this long but other things came up.

Bill
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 6:49:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
How did we make out with this barrel ?? Interested to know how it was "in-spec" and not function proper..

Findings ??
View Quote

Rudy's findings were the same as mine with the chamber cut too deep. He told me he was going to let Green Mountain know bout it but in more colorful words in the email he sent me.

They would not take into consideration anything I sent them..pics via email and notes with the barrel. Maybe they'll listen to him.
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 7:38:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Maybe Rudy send link to this topic too, then they can see that at least 2 of us know how to cut and chamber a 9mm AR-15 / M16 barrel,, besides the stainless pipe I have in my M11/9 SMG with SAAMI chamber  

Next thing you know, they'll be selling "short chambered" barrels that will require reamer to finish chamber in caliber of choice, or finish chamber to proper dimensions, same as with some some aftermarket pistol barrels
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 5:52:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 10:07:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Got the barrel, installed in an upper and test fired.....click.....recharge .....click......
chucked it up in the 4 jaw......took .010 off the breech face and recut the feed cone to my style....tried again....click.......
Cut .010 off the shoulder seating the barrel a little deeper into the upper.....reinstalled......ran a 30 round mag no failure to fire , feed, or eject.....QC10 lower with cheap Korean Mags.......it should ship Monday. Had to cut the shoulder as the shorted breech face was allowing the hammer to over travel and hit the bolt at a slight angle above the firing pin......thus not transferring sufficient inertia to the firing pin to fire the weapon. same thing was happening...the extractor couldn't hold the round tight enough to the face of the bolt to allow the firing pin to transfer all it force to the primer...setting the barrel back solved the issue.
I will pass the info along to the folks at Green Mountain.....need to call them Monday anyway and I'm sure they will be interested.....(Damn good people).....while the barrel WAS in spec by the generic SAMMI specs for a 9mm chamber.....those are primarily intended for a locked breech pistol.....
Keep us posted of the results when installed in your gun.,
Rudy
View Quote

Will do, thank you very much Rudy!

Bill
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 4:41:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 7:51:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Didn't even get a chance to call the good folks at Green Mountain.....My friend Michael who is the sales honcho called up a little while ago and asked if I had time to talk to the head production engineer.....which of course I did.....and we had a very pleasant conversation about pistol caliber stuff in general. As I have said on more than one occasion, Green Mountain is a great bunch of people who make excellent barrels......I'm guessing this little issue won't be a problem in the future with Green Mountain 9mm Barrels..........It was as much an issue of tolerance stacking as anything.....but an extremely simple thing to prevent without sacrificing safety.
Today just confirms my faith In the crew at Green Mountain.......and I will continue to use and recommend their products.
View Quote

Good to hear!!!
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 6:35:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Got it back together... Now to see how fun it is to have a reliable AR9 hopefully. Still thinking I need a heavier/longer buffer than the RRA 9mm one I bought. But will see where the timing is when it goes bang, bang bang consistently.

Thanks again Rudy and fella's let me tell this man is a asset to the community! He said to send the barrel to him and include shipping for the return he'd take care of the rest. Well I did, but Rudy forgot to attach it and shipped on his own dime(even when I offered to pay him back). Your generosity and actions are exemplary my friend.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 8:19:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 8:37:58 PM EDT
[#31]

Great outcome!  Good show, Rudy!

Link Posted: 4/9/2016 6:05:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

[Next thing you know, they'll be selling "short chambered" barrels that will require reamer to finish chamber in caliber of choice, or finish chamber to proper dimensions, same as with some some aftermarket pistol barrels
View Quote

EDIT:  Although I did have the exact same problem as the OP, please allow me to clarify that it was NOT with a Green Mountain barrel but another manufacturer.  I can see how my post as written might have caused confusion, sorry.

It may be happening as we speak.  I had a very similar thread going in the troubleshooting section recently and also inquired today in the reloading section about average/actual case length... and I was directed to this thread.

I had the exact same problem as the OP, fortunately for me the barrel was accepted for a return after a little convincing.  The replacement barrel is, as explained to me, from a 'new & modified' run of barrels (apparently they were getting calls).  The chamber depth from initial barrel to replacement barrel...  >0.031" difference.  The headspace on the replacement barrel, including a bolt face recess of 0.128", sits at meager 0.747"... I believe this could be considered 'short chambered'.  

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top