Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2015 3:19:57 PM EDT
I bought a pre-ban Colt 6450 years ago.  I haven't shot it much, but it always been 100%.  Is this gun supposed to have a buffer spacer of some sort in it?  Currently it just has a 9mm buffer and standard spring, no spacer.  Is the spacer something that was dded later on?  Also, I have a couple spare VLTOR A5H2 buffers (5.33oz)  Could I drop one of those in with the existing carbine spring and buffer tube?  Thanks
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 3:44:27 PM EDT
[#1]
My understanding is the Factory Colt 9mm have the heavy 9mm buffer with no spacer.

As to the Vltor A5 Buffers, yes the work and eliminate the need for any spacer with a standard carbine length reciever extension. I used an A5H4, for the extra weight and length, works 100% in my build.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 4:01:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Awesome, thanks.  Do you think the A5H2 would work, or should I jump up to the A5H3 or H4?  Or should I just add a spacer?  I have an H2, anything else I would need to buy.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My understanding is the Factory Colt 9mm have the heavy 9mm buffer with no spacer.

As to the Vltor A5 Buffers, yes the work and eliminate the need for any spacer with a standard carbine length reciever extension. I used an A5H4, for the extra weight and length, works 100% in my build.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:00:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm leaning toward the H4 A5 buffer.  Will I be ok to use it with the stock carbine spring, or do I need something else?  I'm using standard pressure ammo, not suppressed, 16" barrel.  Thanks
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 4:34:25 AM EDT
[#4]
You should be ok with an A5H2. Weight on those is about 5.3 vs your 9mm buffer at about 5.5.

I went with the H4 to gain weight. I am using a 8.5 barrel unsuppressed. The extra weight just helps it stay closed a little longer before it ejects. I use a rifle spring with mine, but I have seen regular carbine, as well as extra power of both used. Again, the longer spring helps it stay closed a bit longer.

Mine has been 100% with no tuning, just the A5H4 and the rifle spring. I just took the middle of the road of what I had read.about people using. Some use buffers as high as 12oz, but generally suppressed. Other use heavier 308 springs, again, mostly suppressed. But overall the general concensus seemed to be heavier was better.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 6:13:40 AM EDT
[#5]
I just realized that I have a Wolff XP spring laying around as well.  I might just run that along with the A5 H2. Thanks again
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top