Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/9/2015 5:17:23 PM EDT
Hi,

I just obtained a new Colt 6951 9mm Carbine - price seemed decent.  I've read that some carbines did not have the barrels properly torqued on from the factory and would come loose.  Is this issue still happening on current production carbines?  I'm not a builder so just checking to see if I should take it to one for checking before shooting or should be good to go with a recent carbine.

Thanks,
Earl
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 10:59:14 AM EDT
[#1]
If current production is one purchased last year, then yeah they still have that issue . Didn't even bother calling Colt, fixed it myself.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 6:18:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Nope, one purchased yesterday.  Forgot I put it on pre order several months back.  Earl
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 5:18:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Finally got around to shooting it today.  Sure enough, after dumping thru 5 mags (at least no FTF, FTE - and the carbine is accurate) - but sure enough the hand guards were looser than a Kardashian on a Friday night.  I don't regret buying the carbine and with the problem fixed it will be great, but I can't understand why Colt didn't remedy the issue when they first became aware of it 3 years or more ago.  Kudo's to Rifle Gear in Plano.  I took it there.  The gunsmith said that specifications are for the barrel nut to be torqued between 30-60lbs (he torqued it to 50lbs)..said that Colt had it at 26 or 27lb from the factory...and he didn't charge anything.  Picked up a couple more metalform mags for it from them.  

Earl

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 8:40:45 PM EDT
[#4]
That's disheartening to hear.  I just received one yesterday, but I've not gotten a chance to shoot it yet.  Assuming that I want to handle it myself, what is the proper procedure?

Do I need to get a vice block, torque wrench etc., or can it be done a little more simply?

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:48:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I didn't have the necessary tools myself so took it to a gunsmith that I knew worked on the AR platforms at Rifle Gear.  It didn't take long for him to take care of it, maybe 5 minutes while I looked for other stuff to buy :)
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 3:10:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I just ordered the Brownells lower and upper vice block set today...already have a nice vice setup.  I already have the multi-wrench / tool.  I guess that's all I'll need if mine gets goofy.

I guess now I can assemble uppers too.

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top