Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2015 10:33:27 AM EDT
First shot after every reload seems to have about 1/2 the recoils / noise / power then all shots after.  Anyone else have this happen to them?  Any idea why?  Happens in my PSA 9mm upper every time.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 10:47:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Probably need you to get video of it to be of more specific help.

Maybe the carrier's dragging on the fully loaded mag during the first shot recoil cycle, which gives you an impression of lower recoil.  You could try chambering a new round then dropping the mag, and firing to see if you still observe the "duck fart".

ETA I've never noticed any such thing in my 9mm setups, nor do I recall reading about any such reports, personally.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 11:15:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Is duck fart a technical term?
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 11:46:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Check to make sure the bullet isn't being pushed into the case.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 11:58:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Chronograph is needed.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 12:52:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
First shot after every reload seems to have about 1/2 the recoils / noise / power then all shots after.  Anyone else have this happen to them?  Any idea why?  Happens in my PSA 9mm upper every time.
View Quote

I have experienced that before with factory new subsonic ammo. My thought was perhaps with my super heavy buffer and spring it was slowly moving the bolt back on the first shot and the subsequent ones had more back pressure from the suppressor and the bolt cycled back faster and sounded louder due to more port noise. I ended up taking out the xtra power spring and don't recall noticing that phenomenon last range outing.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:48:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Well the duck fart continues..  

Took the Chrony out today, first shot new mag = duck fart recoil and FPS @ 1325, second round was full power recoil felt @ 1315 fps.  so no change of velocity on first round, but it still impacts low on the first shot.

9mm 115 gr plated 4.5 gr Rex II powder @ 1.125" bullets go the following FPS out of the following guns:

Glock 43 1050 fps

Glock 17L 1145 fps

AR9 16" 1320 fps

9mm 115 hap jhp 4.9gr tite group 1.095" = 1515 fps out of AR9
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 1:38:38 PM EDT
[#7]
The Term "duck fart" refers to a light or muffled noise, like placing a pistol in a duck down pillow and shooting it, a little gas and feathers flow out, but not much else.  Still duck farting my ar9, I will try and video, but not sure if it will capture the event.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top