Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/29/2015 7:27:22 PM EDT
Learned a few lessons today. About three magazines in and I get a failure to feed, try locking the bolt back, and it's obviously broken. Bolt catch is sheared and falls right out of the chamber. I clear the rifle and think to myself for a second, do I need the bolt catch to keep shooting? Nah...

Load another mag, and after the last round the bolt jams about halfway. WTF? I forgot this thing has that flimsy little last round lever that ties into the bolt catch to lock the bolt back. Well it didn't fare so well without the bolt catch to shield it.

The rifle is an RRA upper on a DDLES lower, under 1k rounds, and I had just gotten 15 round mags to play with and was shooting CCI aluminum cased FMJ. I took it home, bent the last round lever back, and was able to get upper separated. I think the lever is salvageable, I bent it back into place and it seems to hand cycle fine.

Now what I'm debating is if I need a 9mm spacer. I think I might pick one up from Spikes (yea I know the quarter trick). Unless I'm retarded, is there any reason this wouldn't help save my bolt catches in the future? I think the one that sheared was from a PSA kit.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:18:33 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a DDLES lower and a 9mm upper and my bolt catch has broken
twice in 500rds.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:48:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a 40 & 9MM upper on a DDLES lower and I've never broken a bolt catch. I was using a Slash 45 buffer & Wilson extra power spring. Right now I have the JP Captured spring unit in it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:55:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Are either of you using any sort of spacer to limit over travel on the bolt?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:59:39 PM EDT
[#4]
QC10 sells a replacement and an upgraded last round bolt hold open that will work with your ddles build.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:07:40 AM EDT
[#5]
I took mine out. IMO, for my use having a LRBHO isn't needed. Or is the hassle of works sometimes. Sometimes not.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top