Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/23/2015 6:59:15 PM EDT
I recently purchased a AR9 complete lower and upper, with an unramped bolt. I assume the lower has a standard hammer in it. The bolt is very hard to charge and close. Do I need a 9mm hammer or what should I do to get it running properly? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Link Posted: 8/23/2015 7:13:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Get the bolt ramped.

Report back on this thread please.
Does your ramp in block adjust?
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 7:20:25 PM EDT
[#2]
ramp in block adjust?
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:03:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
ramp in block adjust?
View Quote

Adjustable height feed ramp.

Spike's block and at last one other have an adjustable height feed ramp.
set screw on left I believe. Gap between block and ramp.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:24:59 PM EDT
[#4]
looks like they sent the wrong hammer.  Can you show pictures of your bolt, under side.  Thanks

-also what problems are you having?
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:30:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
looks like they sent the wrong hammer.  Can you show pictures of your bolt, under side.  Thanks

-also what problems are you having?
View Quote

No, that's the correct hammer. They put the rounded hammers in all their 9mm kits/lowers.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:35:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 11:17:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the same thing, and had no problems with it, though admittedly, it has only 100rds through it so far (just tried it out yesterday). Could it be your mag block is sitting too high in the mag well, causing the ejector to drag on the bottom of the bolt?

As far as ramping the bolt, I'm going to leave mine unramped, and see how long it takes for something to break.

Almost forgot: I did install a set of KNS pins, because I've read that they are less likely to break in a 9mm AR.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 9:00:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Recommend getting the bolt ramped.

I purchased the PSA 9mm upper kit - it came with a hammer the same as you have pictured. Had the bolt ramped (by Rudy) and it ran perfectly this past weekend.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 12:54:45 PM EDT
[#9]
What about this 9mm AR hammer for non ramped bolt?  Looks like a bobbed type.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/triggers-parts/hammer-parts/hammers/car-15-m4-9mm-hammer-prod44737.aspx

Link Posted: 8/24/2015 2:53:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Honestly, that's the only 9mm hammer I've ever been able to find.

Regardless, I've done the research and you're much better off having the carrier ramped. Mad-Machinist in this thread does it for a very reasonable price. I'm sending mine in to have him do it.

It just makes more sense to have a ramped carrier, than it does to try and cobble together a lower that works properly without a ramped bolt.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 7:46:33 PM EDT
[#11]
well too late, ordered that 9mm AR hammer so we shall see if it works w/o ramp.  I will post results, then probably call Macon armory to ramp it. :)
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 8:32:37 PM EDT
[#12]
I recently put together a palmetto ar9 also
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_15/679939_New_PSA_build__hanging_up_on_the_mag_block_.html

Since you say it is hard to close the bolt the hammer shouldn't be the problem. Check the ejector for wear, it was my problem. In my photo you can see the grease mark on the top of the ejector where I still need to remove a little more material.

Also to add, the upper I ordered said it came with a non ramped bolt, I was pleasantly surprised to receive a ramped bolt! You sure your bolt is not ramped? Does your bolt look like mine in the photo?

Link Posted: 8/24/2015 10:04:38 PM EDT
[#13]
My bolt is sadly unramped. I'm sending off my bolt to be ramped tomorrow. When I get it back I'll see how it does. If it still feels the same I'll try what you did with your ejector. Thank you everyone with all the input. I'll give a range report when I get it all back together.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 6:53:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
well too late, ordered that 9mm AR hammer so we shall see if it works w/o ramp.  I will post results, then probably call Macon armory to ramp it. :)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Be careful though, because according to the RRA chart below, using a 9mm hammer with a ramped bolt = no-go.

Someone correct me if I'm reading that wrong.

RRA chart

Quoted:

<a href="http://s107.photobucket.com/user/nikon858/media/IMG_0095_zpsz4a5w9ar.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m284/nikon858/IMG_0095_zpsz4a5w9ar.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s107.photobucket.com/user/nikon858/media/IMG_0096_zpssmjng5tb.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m284/nikon858/IMG_0096_zpssmjng5tb.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s107.photobucket.com/user/nikon858/media/IMG_0097_zpsiozjsz2m.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m284/nikon858/IMG_0097_zpsiozjsz2m.jpg</a>

Ooo. so there is a chance mine may have a ramped bolt....
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 11:50:20 AM EDT
[#15]
I'd say a good chance of getting a ramped bolt. My dad ordered the same upper and lower as I did and his came with a ramped bolt also. I've also read a couple reviews online of people saying their kits came with a ramped bolt.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:09:26 PM EDT
[#16]
You were right, mine came with a ramped bolt.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:01:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Then you need to hammer your mag block into the lower more or take some material off the ejector. Cancel your order of the hammer! :)
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:21:37 PM EDT
[#18]

And hope your mag block stays in place.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:06:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Then you need to hammer your mag block into the lower more or take some material off the ejector. Cancel your order of the hammer! :)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry to thread jack OP!

Where/why would I need to file off material? Also, the mag block seems pretty recessed and tight to the lower, but again, this is my first 9mm AR.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:31:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Sorry to thread jack OP!

Where/why would I need to file off material? Also, the mag block seems pretty recessed and tight to the lower, but again, this is my first 9mm AR.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry to thread jack OP!

Confused you with the OP. If it doesn't drag then you shouldn't have to remove any material. My first 9 AR too, learning as I go.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:31:22 AM EDT
[#21]
So PSA sent me a ramped bolt.  The Brownells AR 9mm hammer will NOT WORK with the ramped bolt, goes click but Not able to reset hammer, locks up.  So standard hammer on order now, tried upper on my standard ar lower and smooth cycle and dry fire.

FYI 9mm RRA 9mm hammer will not work on PSA ramped bolt.

chamber is pretty tight, no glock play here.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:12:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Got my bolt ramped from Mad-Machinist and removed some of the material from the ejector. It cycles as smooth as butter now. Now I just need the time to go to the range...
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:10:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 9:18:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Palmetto 9mm upper was a winner today, after rounding the standard hammer a bit, it no longer contacts the upper portion of the bolt where the fire pin is recessed.  I have not received the psa 9mm buffer yet, used $1.75 in quarters in the butt stock worked pretty good, but I think a heavy buffer is necessary.  115; 124 and some 135's were a pleasure to shoot, got to try some 147's next.  Kept all rounds in the black on an nra 100 yard standard rifle target, they sure drop fast past 200 yards.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 9:01:45 AM EDT
[#25]
I always wondered about the quarters. My build has the Palmetto heavy 9mm heavy buffer, but I added $2.00 worth of quarters and the bolt still clears the bolt catch by about 1/2" or so.

Will that be ok? I did it mainly to reduce the chances of my catch snapping, as I've heard of this happening to others.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 9:22:07 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm using that uzi mag adaptor so I get to dry fire when empty, no hold open.  shows me the flinch i mean... pull quality..
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 4:59:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Here's she is finished. Runs great now.

Link Posted: 9/7/2015 11:42:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Just remember, all them quarters in the but stock do is increase spring tension and slam that bolt ever so harder into the barrel.  after 200 rounds with a standard buffer and $1.75 of quarters i found a small chip on my bolt face.  Do not forget the heavy buffer folks, you will need it if you want to shoot his rifle more than a hand full of times.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 7:04:11 PM EDT
[#29]
So after getting the bolt ramped, adding KNS pins, and a primary arms advanced microdot. I've ran about 400rds through it so far and it loves all kinds of ammo. Probably my favorite range gun now. The guys at the counter asked me all about it and were jealous.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 6:37:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Mad Machinist AKA Rudy at Macon Armory fixed my 10" 9mm barrel. I was jamming on my first time at the range with that upper. I contacted Rudy and he offered to modify the barrel for me for FREE. Back at the range I ran 150 rounds through it after his modifications and not one problem.
I was so happy with him I ordered a new barrel but its going into a as yet un-approved SBR so I am waiting on that.

Can't say enough good things about Rudy!
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top