Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2015 6:18:32 PM EDT
Hey guys.

I'm looking at getting a DPMS .22 upper.  Buds Gun Shop has them for $356.  I looked at Bud's reviews on line, and they seem to be hit or miss - either you love them or hate them.  Has anyone got experience ordering from them?  

If this is the wrong place for this question, please let me know.

Thanks for any help!

Brad
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 12:05:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I have no experience with Bud's Guns.  In regards to the DPMS AP4 22 LR upper  the bolt is patterned after the Ruger 10/22 and is also used in an upper sold by JP.  I believe the bolt/barrel used in the DPMS is a Nordic design and may even be produced by Nordic.  One post I read said DPMS did not have parts for their 22 LR uppers but I just checked and they still list two 22 LR uppers for sale on their web site store.  The AP4 22 LR upper is priced at $425 so sounds like Bud's has a good price.  The DPMS uses a proprietary upper barrel/bolt but since this is a complete upper  the only down side is you may not be able to reuse the parts if the barrel/bolt wear out.  The magazines are Black Dog Machine and are compatiable with uppers made by CMMG, TACCOM, JP, Tactical Solutions, chiappa and conversion kits like Ciener, Target Master or CMMG.

Shadowcop did a review on this upper a few years ago and another poster did a review onthe 16" bull barrel upper in 22 LR.  Here is a link to the review on the 16" bull barrel.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_15/678545_DPMS_and_Chiappa_22_LR_AR_15_Dedicated_Upper_Comparison.html
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 10:46:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I have bought plenty from Bud's and have an DPMS AP4 22LR upper.

Buds is GTG, zero issues with them. They ship quickly.

The upper shoots great. Be sure to use the newer Black Dog mags with the downward angled follower. Frankly, you'd have to try pretty hard to find an older one these days, so it should be a non-issue.

Last trip to the range I ran mag after mag of various 22LR through it. No issues. That said-- 22LR is always filthy in a semi-auto. It won't run forever without cleaning.

I had a dedicated Spike's 22LR upper. Basically a Ceiner bolt with a dedicated 22LR barrel. Couldn't get it to shoot worth shit. The DPMS upper runs great.

-Stooxie
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 2:13:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I ended up buying the upper.  I ordered it on a Monday night after work, and had it in my hands Thursday when I came home from work.  

I put an EOtech on it.

I have put 400 rounds of Federal Bulk Pack through it with no issues.  I have tried 5 different BDM mags - all worked flawless.  

I really like the upper, and had zero issues with Buds.  Everything went nice and smooth, and I was thrilled to have it in my hand 3 days after ordering.  I thought I 'd post a follow up in case anyone was wondering.

Thank you all for your help!

Brad
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:56:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the update Brad76, glad you like it.  Now if the 22 rimfire would start showing up at reasonable prices a lot of us could enjoy shooting our 22 AR's more often.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top