BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 4:42:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Well crap.  I was hoping it wouldn't look like that.   I'm using the spring they sent and genuine OEM Glock mags, various caps, 33's, 15's and 17's.

I guess I could start playing around with the bolt catch spring and see what I can come up with.   Maybe clip a coil off or something.  

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Did you install the replacement spring they send? Also korean mags are usually crap the sgm ones or okay. Glock mags hold fine in my build.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/7/2015 9:44:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Well crap.  I was hoping it wouldn't look like that.   I'm using the spring they sent and genuine OEM Glock mags, various caps, 33's, 15's and 17's.

I guess I could start playing around with the bolt catch spring and see what I can come up with.   Maybe clip a coil off or something.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Did you install the replacement spring they send? Also korean mags are usually crap the sgm ones or okay. Glock mags hold fine in my build.

Does it work with just an empty mag in the lower? I would say if it doesn't clip a coil or 2 if it does then you might have a bolt cycle issue. You could also try their technical support.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 4:40:03 PM EDT
[#3]
oops dt
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 6:26:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Hate to be thread crapping but it might help someone else.

On an empty mag handcycling the action it would catch rarely unless I really slammed it back.  Slow cycling by hand and I could see the bolt catch had another 1/16" of an inch travel outwards that wasn't happening, it wasn't getting stuck, it was going as far as the spring would push it, it just wasn't enough.  As in it needed to be pushed further.  When it did catch it seemed to be due to the force of the cycling rocking the catch that last little bit out.

So I knocked the pin out and stretched the spring a bit, about an 1/8" longer and put everything back. Difference was night and day.   It catches every time now hand cycling whether I slow cycle it or fast cycle it.   I may take it apart again and shim the hole or the detent instead of depending on the stretching to stick.

Range time will really tell the tale but things are looking a lot better.   Be another couple of weeks at least before i can get out and shoot, stupid job.

The problem appears to be one of a few things or a combination of tolerance stacking.  Either the bolt catch detent hole was drilled a little deep or the supplied QC10 replacement spring is a little short or my bolt catch is out of spec (LPK was from PSA) or some combination of the three.

Quoted:

Does it work with just an empty mag in the lower? I would say if it doesn't clip a coil or 2 if it does then you might have a bolt cycle issue. You could also try their technical support.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/9/2015 11:37:13 AM EDT
[#5]
This thread has become the "why doesn't my QC10 upper work" thread
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 6:39:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Update on LRBHO uppper from NFA's facebook:

Good Morning! We just wanted to drop you guys a quick note with an update on the pistol caliber LRBHO uppers. We had a few hiccups with sub-contractors that were making a few small parts for us, but we found a new contractor that is expediting the order and we should have the parts very soon. There has been a huge demand for this product and we’re working the machines 24/7 making the uppers as fast as we possibly can now. We have some large dealer PO’s that will be getting filled, and as we have sufficient stock we will be adding them to the website immediately for smaller dealer orders and retail sales. You will be notified in small groups as they are available with an e-mail link to the product. Please pay close attention to the links you receive as you may be notified on both the RAW and anodized models availability. The first few batches are guaranteed to sell out very quickly because of the amount of people on the wait list for both the RAW finish and anodized versions of this product. If you don’t get to order in time when you do receive the notification, please click to join the waitlist again on the product you’re waiting for and you will be notified as soon as they come back in stock. We appreciate your patience and loyalty and promise that our new billet 9mm line won’t disappoint you! And as always the team at New Frontier Armory would like to thank you for your business and continued support!

Link Posted: 11/13/2015 1:13:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:  Update on LRBHO uppper from NFA's facebook:

https://newfrontierarmory.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/9mmLRBHO-02-300x300.jpg
View Quote

Clever girl!  They put the activation lever on the outside of the upper...so it should be able to use any standard AR BHO, including BAD levers, perhaps...
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 1:52:43 PM EDT
[#8]
The way they integrated LRBHO into the upper looks so hokey. I was
hoping for something a little cleaner looking than that.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 2:07:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:  The way they integrated LRBHO into the upper looks so hokey. I was
hoping for something a little cleaner looking than that.
View Quote

I'm hoping for something more reliable than a QC10, don't care how it looks.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 5:42:20 PM EDT
[#10]
That looks like shit, it better work flawlessly
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 4:28:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

You won't see it behind the bolt release so what does it matter how it looks?
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 5:35:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This is a very tempting impulse buy
View Quote

For real--especially the 80% lower.

Why, oh why did I open this thread!!!!
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 6:13:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was referring more to the black bar to the left of the bolt catch, but that will blend in on an anodized upper.  I think I'm ok with the looks of it on a black upper.  But I'll prolly still user a larger seekins enhanced bolt catch to cover some of that up.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 6:08:05 PM EDT
[#14]
When NFA has everything ready to go is when I start building my dream 9mm pistol. Waiting is no fun :/
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 8:03:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
When NFA has everything ready to go is when I start building my dream 9mm pistol. Waiting is no fun :/
View Quote

Yup
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 1:27:48 PM EDT
[#16]
JBO has some new 9mm goodies in stock, including this 4" New Frontier 9mm barrel which will what I use in my pistol build

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/New_Frontier_Armory_4_MATCH_Grade_9mm_Barrel_p/nfa-9mm-match-4.htm
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 2:17:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Finally finished up my 9mm build with the NFA lower. Runs perfect except I can't insert a full pmag with a closed bolt. I don't have any other mags to try. Anyone else have an issue with that or might it be a problem with the homemade glock cut on my bolt?
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 4:35:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Full mag on a closed bolt is always going to be tough on a 9 in my limited (2) experience.  You're having to compress an already tightly compressed spring.  If it works okay on an open bolt or an empty mag and it hand cycles without hitting the mag then it's should just be the amount of 'oomph' it takes to compress that spring that extra bit so it'll go up far enough to catch and lock.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 8:51:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Full mag on a closed bolt is always going to be tough on a 9 in my limited (2) experience.  You're having to compress an already tightly compressed spring.  If it works okay on an open bolt or an empty mag and it hand cycles without hitting the mag then it's should just be the amount of 'oomph' it takes to compress that spring that extra bit so it'll go up far enough to catch and lock.
View Quote

This.  I have a 9mm carbine using a Hahn magwell block.  When the bolt is back, no problem putting in a Metalform 32rnd mag fully loaded.  Bolt closed, I have to lean on the mag some for it to engage the mag catch.  Doesn't affect the operation at all...eats whatever I load into it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 11:16:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Joe Bob Outfitters has the New Frontier 80% lowers back in stock.

They've been out of these for awhile.
A perfect gift for Mom or Grandma during the winter season when they can't get out into the garden.

Link Posted: 12/7/2015 12:46:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Good Morning! We just wanted to drop you guys a quick note with an update on the pistol caliber LRBHO uppers. We had a few hiccups with sub-contractors that were making a few small parts for us, but we found a new contractor that is expediting the order and we should have the parts very soon. There has been a huge demand for this product and we’re working the machines 24/7 making the uppers as fast as we possibly can now. We have some large dealer PO’s that will be getting filled, and as we have sufficient stock we will be adding them to the website immediately for smaller dealer orders and retail sales. You will be notified in small groups as they are available with an e-mail link to the product. Please pay close attention to the links you receive as you may be notified on both the RAW and anodized models availability. The first few batches are guaranteed to sell out very quickly because of the amount of people on the wait list for both the RAW finish and anodized versions of this product. If you don’t get to order in time when you do receive the notification, please click to join the waitlist again on the product you’re waiting for and you will be notified as soon as they come back in stock. We appreciate your patience and loyalty and promise that our new billet 9mm line won’t disappoint you! And as always the team at New Frontier Armory would like to thank you for your business and continued support!

https://newfrontierarmory.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/9mmLRBHO-02-300x300.jpg
View Quote

Just a FYI for anyone thats been waiting on the LRBHO upper.  I've been on the waiting list for a few months. I received email notification Sunday that my number came up on the waiting list for the raw upper.  Ordered it and should be getting it in the next few days.

I went with the raw upper as I'll be mating it to a 80% lower I got a few months back and will re-finish them sometime this spring when the weather gets warmer.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 2:04:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Just a FYI for anyone thats been waiting on the LRBHO upper.  I've been on the waiting list for a few months. I received email notification Sunday that my number came up on the waiting list for the raw upper.  Ordered it and should be getting it in the next few days.

I went with the raw upper as I'll be mating it to a 80% lower I got a few months back and will re-finish them sometime this spring when the weather gets warmer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is good news. Just to confirm, the LRBHO upper is multi-cal (i.e. small frame glock) and not strictly 9mm, correct?

**EDIT** Answering my own question...multi-cal
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 1:56:56 PM EDT
[#23]
I saw a local dealer has a complete lower.  Some questions please:

-What is with the 1/2x36 thread pitch on their barrels from NFA?
-Can you use any barrels with their receivers?

I want to SBR it and use an Octane 9 on it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 3:31:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I saw a local dealer has a complete lower.  Some questions please:

-What is with the 1/2x36 thread pitch on their barrels from NFA?
-Can you use any barrels with their receivers?

I want to SBR it and use an Octane 9 on it.
View Quote

My understanding is that 1/2-36 is commonly used on 9 mm barrels to "idiot proof" them as 1/2-28 threads would accept an undersized .223/5.56 through hole muzzle device which is not a desirable installation.  Of course, there are also a number of  9 mm capable muzzle devices with female 1/2-28 threads.

The New Frontier Armory 9 mm Glock magazine lower based firearm that I assembled includes a DPMS Lo-Pro upper receiver having a Spikes Tactical 9 mm barrel (which has a 1/2-28 threaded muzzle with a thread protector installed).  So far (about 50 rounds), the performance has been satisfactory.

Best of luck with your project!

MHO, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 5:09:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you get the upper yet? If so, how is it working out?
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 11:56:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Seems like NFA is taking their sweet ass time with getting those uppers made.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 2:10:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Seems like NFA is taking their sweet ass time with getting those uppers made.
View Quote

Seems to be the case
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 7:46:51 PM EDT
[#28]
About to order a joe bob lower but do I wait for this unicorn upper or just run a std upper and roll with it
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 9:36:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Gosh darn it they pics, now start selling the damn things

Link Posted: 1/6/2016 9:50:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Gosh darn it they pics, now start selling the damn things

https://newfrontierarmory.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/C-9-SS-LRBHO-01.jpg
View Quote

My stamp should be approved next week, this is that last thing I need
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 7:36:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Same here. I want to build a pistol but they're taking a long time..
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 12:25:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Has anyone actually ever seen one of these (the BHO upper) in the wild, or even a review?

I'm interested, but need to be sure it actually works as advertised...

Link Posted: 1/7/2016 1:13:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Has anyone actually ever seen one of these (the BHO upper) in the wild, or even a review?

I'm interested, but need to be sure it actually works as advertised...

View Quote

None in the wild AFAIK
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 8:00:22 PM EDT
[#34]

Anyone know of other brands that use the small frame NFA lower besides Runner Runner Guns and Joe Bob?

Link Posted: 1/7/2016 8:06:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Just noticed this in the description of the uppers, I've been on the wait list for months and never got an in stock email for the LRBHO models. I asked about dealers they have sold them to already and NFA never responded to me.

"ATTENTION CUSTOMERS:  This product is in EXTREME backorder status.  We are sending out uppers weekly on large distributor and dealer purchase orders as well as allotting some for the website weekly as they return from anodizing.  If you join the wait list you will be notified immediately when inventory is added.  If it sells out before you’re able to order, you will need to join the wait list again if you would like to be notified when they are re-stocked.  We have ramped up production on these products and hope to be caught up with all dealer and retail orders by 15 February 2016.  Thank you for your patience!"
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 9:10:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Last update from RunnerRunner is "a couple weeks out", but take that with a rain of salt. They have been a couple weeks out for a couple months now...

Link Posted: 1/8/2016 11:30:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Just noticed this in the description of the uppers, I've been on the wait list for months and never got an in stock email for the LRBHO models. I asked about dealers they have sold them to already and NFA never responded to me.

"ATTENTION CUSTOMERS:  This product is in EXTREME backorder status.  We are sending out uppers weekly on large distributor and dealer purchase orders as well as allotting some for the website weekly as they return from anodizing.  If you join the wait list you will be notified immediately when inventory is added.  If it sells out before you’re able to order, you will need to join the wait list again if you would like to be notified when they are re-stocked.  We have ramped up production on these products and hope to be caught up with all dealer and retail orders by 15 February 2016.  Thank you for your patience!"
View Quote

That was the reason I asked the question above. There's zero evidence that these have actually been sent out to anyone, anywhere. No big deal, really. Let's hope NFA is tweaking and perfecting the mechanism and in six weeks they have more than enough stock for everyone.

Link Posted: 1/11/2016 7:33:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 7:34:27 PM EDT
[#39]

Damn you're fast, I came here to post this.  I just got the e-mail from them.
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 7:36:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Shipping is $14, I've waited this long I may as well hold off a few weeks and see if JBO gets any Spartan ones in.  At least they'll have free shipping.

ETA I just finished building my lower last weekend, and mocked up the upper with one I had laying around.

" />
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 7:52:45 PM EDT
[#41]

Ha they finally come in stock, just set up a page tracker for that a hour ago.
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 9:14:59 PM EDT
[#42]
And they show out of stock already
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 1:51:20 PM EDT
[#43]
I just picked their side charging upper from this website. It shipped same day and was at my door in two days.

http://www.wcarmory.com/new-frontier-armory

Hope this helps somebody :)
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 2:10:49 PM EDT
[#44]
That's not the same upper with the "last round bolt hold open" feature for their 9mm lowers that everyone here is talking about.  The side charger is nice too but it's not what we've been waiting on NFA to finish.  I'm holding out for some early reviews on how well the LRBHO feature works.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 6:47:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Got my LRBHO upper today and finally got my rifle together. Unfortunately there is some sort of issue between the bcg and the extractor (metal piece that sticks out the top of the lower). I cannot operator the bolt, it looks like the BCG is hitting the extractor when it should be sliding over it. I took the extractor off and can move the bcg back and forth with easy. Has anyone else had an issue with the extractor?

Edit: I had originally taken the ejector off when I thought about having my lower cerakoted, didn't end up happening. I just notice when I put it back on and tighten it the front part had cocked upward causing an interference with the BCG. Still had a little trouble so I filed now the ejector a little bit and the BCG moving freely, but now ejector will not ejector rounds.

This is the BCG I have.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 6:54:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Got my LRBHO upper today and finally got my rifle together. Unfortunately there is some sort of issue between the bcg and the extractor (metal piece that sticks out the top of the lower). I cannot operator the bolt, it looks like the BCG is hitting the extractor when it should be sliding over it. I took the extractor off and can move the bcg back and forth with easy. Has anyone else had an issue with the extractor?
View Quote

How much is it hitting it? A lot or a little? I had a similar problem with mine building a 40 carbine. Had around over the back of the extractor and take some off the top and sides so it would not drag on the BCG.  Not to mention, had major issues with magazines fitting the magwell properly. Finally got everything to run but it took a hell of a lot of work to make it happen. I won't buy another one of these from New Frontier.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 10:08:35 PM EDT
[#47]
I received instructions with my Joe Bob Spartan lower that stated you may have to adjust the ejector. You have to loosen the screws and slightly lower it until it barely clears.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 10:59:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Edit: I had originally taken the ejector off when I thought about having my lower cerakoted, didn't end up happening. I just notice when I put it back on and tighten it the front part had cocked upward causing an interference with the BCG. Still had a little trouble so I filed now the ejector a little bit and the BCG moving freely, but now ejector will not ejector rounds.

This is the BCG I have.
View Quote

How reliable is the lrbho mechanism?
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 11:20:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I received instructions with my Joe Bob Spartan lower that stated you may have to adjust the ejector. You have to loosen the screws and slightly lower it until it barely clears.
View Quote

Got mine when they first came out and didn't get those, NFA directed me to them, I'll try to figure it out, I filed it down some hopefully I didn't mess it up too bad.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 1:44:14 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Got my LRBHO upper today and finally got my rifle together. Unfortunately there is some sort of issue between the bcg and the extractor (metal piece that sticks out the top of the lower). I cannot operator the bolt, it looks like the BCG is hitting the extractor when it should be sliding over it. I took the extractor off and can move the bcg back and forth with easy. Has anyone else had an issue with the extractor?

This is the BCG I have.

They've just been released.  Give it a few weeks & we'll know.
Page / 6
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top