Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2015 7:26:43 PM EDT
For many years I had a Colt 9mm upper on a Rock River lower using the Rock River kit...Gun ran wonderfully, no issues. I decided that I wanted a 9mm SBR.....so I bought a Quarter Circle Lower (If  you're going to get a stamp, might as well do it right) and cut the old Colt down to 10"......That left me with a "spare lower" already set up for 9 mm that I knew worked...

About two weeks ago, Palmetto had their 16" upper mid length melonite upper on sale, with bolt and Charging Handle, $300, free shipping......Bought one, showed up earlier this week. I had a small issue with the bolt, it would not run with the Rock River dedicated hammer. I swapped in the Colt bolt from my other upper....works great and the PSA bolt works in the Colt upper....rather than start mucking with stuff, I just swapped them. Path of least resistance......

I made some mods to the upper.....I pulled off the front sight- I wanted to put a low mounted red dot on it and wanted it out of the way, but still wanted a BUIS...... I had a Wyndham gas block, picatinny, with pins lying around.......Since the gas block never gets hot-doesn't handle any gas, I could put it on-not really worried about gas hole line up and use it as a base for a Magpul Mbus front sight. The holes didn't line up all that well for the gas block pins.....rather than drill etc...I used some slighty smaller roll pins....again, not worried about holding a tight gas hole tolerance...... Worked PERFECTLY.....the block is tight and looks good....

The rest of the gun-

MOE Forest Green stock on mil spec 6 position tube
Forest Green Magpul grip
Magpul SLE/MOE Forest Green  Handguard
Bushnell TRS 25 red dot with Riser
KNS Gen II pins

I'm using several different magazines- Old C Products, Brownells house brand (Metal Form?) and some ASC's.

I'm using an H1 buffer and standard Carbine spring.

Today at the range I sighted the gun in with some old CCI Blazer at 25 yards. The first 3 shots were about two inches to the left of the bull and dead on for elevation. I adjusted the TRS and fired a 5 shot group. My dad was on the spotting scope. He says--- "You gotta see this...."  .....I look at the scope....all 5 bullets in a ragged hole, three are almost LITERALLY in ONE HOLE......

I figure, one group does not anything prove......So I repeat it twice. The 5 shot groups are about 5/8 to 3/4 of an inch......My dad, 72....decides he wants a turn.....nearly duplicates my performance, group hits a little over 1"......

Initially I had a rifle spring in the gun. I had two double feeds/failures to eject. I replaced it with a carbine spring and the problem never duplicated in 50 rounds. The gun locked back on the last round every time and cycled properly with all three different types of magazines I used.

I dunno what to say, VERY impressed, for such a cheap upper, cheap ammo etc.....I don't know what more I could ask for. Accurate, reliable, inexpensive....Very happy!

Link Posted: 8/15/2015 7:49:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Where are those things that make or break threads?
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 3:20:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Exactly , starts with a P      
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:02:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Been looking at these very seriously. Glad to see a review
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:58:50 AM EDT
[#4]
And mine came with a ramped bolt
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:11:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

punctuation?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:10:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top