Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2015 5:11:37 PM EDT
No joy selling my new Beowulf so no funds to have Rudy  build me  DI upper, however Midway is giving me credit for all of it so since I still want a 45acp upper, I am getting an OLY 45acp upper from midway. Any of you guys have experience with them? Anything I should know about making it run better such as buffers used? weight buffer weight?, loads etc

I will use the factory mag for know but might get an magwell adapter(no Hahn cav ams) I mean for a standard AR lower or see if Macon's HK mag block will work with the OLY ejector. I have found modified grease gun mags for the oly as well as an original IMI 45acp Oly converted mag but one is $100. the GG mags are like $150 for 3 I believe.  I was planning on using my MGI buffer with maybe a spikes carbine spring and no spacer or wolf xp carbine spring. Also could try with a standard rifle spring maybe Spring Co one I have laying around.

I have also read a post on GB someone selling one w/BB lower that its so quiet it doesn't need eye plugs and has almost nill recoil even though it's blowback, any truth to either of those statements?
any info you guys could give on actual experience/set ups would be great.

I know the 36 pg thread has a lot of info, but the Oly info seems old, I am looking for current experiences with more modern available accessories.

Thanks Jim
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 5:51:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I've owned several Oly .45 uppers over the years and have used both the CavArms and CNCGuns lowers with them. For best performance I suggest a very heavy buffer and Wolff X-tra power spring.  The combination reduces recoil and prevents out of battery discharges.  I experienced some of those with the Oly upper during rapid fire and they range from simple bulged brass to blue flames shooting out of the ejection port.  On mine I also replaced the forward assist with a gas vent plug that redirects gas and helps when using a suppressor plus there are no FA notches in the Oly bolt carrier anyway.   When it comes to Olympic Arms I found that calling them is very effective.  They answer their phone and can help you get what you need.  If you go Oly call them and order a spare ejector kit.  It's like $12 and worth it for peace of mind even though I never actually had one fail.  

ETA: Grease Gun mags should run you around $30 each.  Check gunbroker.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 6:40:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the that info, the MGI buffer is almost 8oz and the more recoil force against it, the more it works, it will cut my recoil down on 9mm more than a hydraulic buffer weighing over 8oz will but just not as smooth perceived recoil as the hydraulic one. Still blows standard 9mm buffers away. I don't have the extra funds for a dedicated CNC 45 lower now so hence why I was considering the old coverted uzi or GG mags  I located or Rudy's HK adapter if it will work. Actual GG new mags are $16.00, I forgot the place but Rudy knows. But as you know I can't use them with a standard AR lower hence my above plans.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 9:15:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 5:04:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Jimmy....If you like I can send one of my heavy buffers.........  with the handguard you ordered.
HK adapter works but you have to remove the last round hold open actuator as it interferes with the Olympic Ejector
View Quote

Yes Rudy please do send it on with the HG

Also wondering if I should get your HK adapter as well, not concerned with the LRBHO  but I know I could get USC 20rd mags from CDNN for $25.00, factory 10rd are $60, don't see them else where often, or if I should get the old OLY modified 45uzi mag or GG mags I've found them on GB, I don't like big plastic Oly mags for $50.00 a piece.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 5:03:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 11:03:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'd avoid the 20 round mags....they fountain occasionally....I have had great success with the 15 round mags.......I'm pretty sure I have some of the version 1 magwell adapters laying around.....I'll give you a shout next week when I have your package ready to ship...

The V1 adapters run great with the Olympic uppers....they just wouldn't feed hollow points with the DI 45.....the V2 solved that issue.
View Quote

15round? I either see 10 or 20? I've seen 15round UMP not USC, are they the same? also I've seen metal Hera usc mags 20rd from Germany, expensive but are they good?
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 11:25:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 11:35:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Gotcha, I looked at a dozen websites last night, all had promag 10 or 22rd even GB, like I said didn't see any 15rd usc only ump, some sites say mags ump/usc and they loo alike as well. The Hera's are nice looking one is $75. on GB buy it now $100, and HK parts has them as well, they look really well made. I really don't want to buy Oly mags and many people say you cant get more than 15rds in them anyway and there $50. each, Hence whatever your HK adapter costs plus HK mags at $25-$35 bucks each is better way to go IMO. Unless I get lucky and sell some more stuff or another gun and get a CNC 45 lower.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 1:56:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I had a short-barreled version years ago that worked fine on a RR SP1 lower with a full stock.

Since pistol calibers can be hard on the lowers (so I've heard) I didn't want to take the chance of screwing up an expensive lower, so I sold the upper and bought a PS MAC 10.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 9:39:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 9:43:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I had a short-barreled version years ago that worked fine on a RR SP1 lower with a full stock.

Since pistol calibers can be hard on the lowers (so I've heard) I didn't want to take the chance of screwing up an expensive lower, so I sold the upper and bought a PS MAC 10.
View Quote

I not worried about the lower's I've built over dozen AR's , differental's and configurations, never damaged a lower yet, not even pistol cals.

I love Mac's, grew up in the 80"s watchin Mami Vice, always wanted one but don't like 16" barrels and no wire folder, just not the real thing. I did have a cobray with bunch zytell mags etc , that gun has the worst trigger slap ever! ejected so hard no one could be within 4 benchs from me at the range, and my finger was numb and throbbing after 15 rounds. That's what happen when you take an open bolt fa and make it a closed bolt sa, after 94 ban I got more than I paid for it  as a trade in and picked u a Rem custom shop 350rem mag for $100. with my trade.

Maybe now that I'm in TX I could get or build one and sbr it so it will be the way it was designed just no FA, no way I'm paying $4-$5k.

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 6:48:44 AM EDT
[#12]
The Oly ejector spring is somewhat adjustable just by bending the spring. I have one that can take your eye out at 20yrds.

I have about 1000 rds through my Oly upper on my AR45 lower with no issues. Reliable to the point of being boring.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:04:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The Oly ejector spring is somewhat adjustable just by bending the spring. I have one that can take your eye out at 20yrds.

I have about 1000 rds through my Oly upper on my AR45 lower with no issues. Reliable to the point of being boring.
View Quote

That's how both my 9mm's are and both my AR22 builds as well, except I swapped a HG on one re-assembled again and now not  iving me FTF, FTE, & failure to re-set the hammer every 3rd shot with same loads as before, cc velociter's. tried some fiocchi subsonic's and it went 15rds then failed to chamber completely. one of life's little mysteries............
Probably due to it being a TAc Sol sleeved barrel and collar. but nothing came loose or shifted , I'll have to take a part again to check it all.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:33:30 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a new spikes Wartog biller lower sitting around that was for my Beowulf, I put the Oly on it and tried to insert the "Brick" junk plastic mag and it wouldn't fit!  I finally got it to squeeze into another standard lower but what a tight ass fit. Did I mention it's a "BRICK".  Thank god my package from Rudy should be here today for with some real mags.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:34:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Ok finally assembled and shot 15 rds through her using the 8oz buffer from MM and a spikes polished carbine spring. Well functioned perfect but recoils pretty good, not painful just thump! SO I didn't like the standard Oly carbine look, so swapped out for keymod 11" HG, Samson fiex sight set, Seekins 5/8x24 FH, and add a forend grip. Next I will try a Wolf XP spring with my MGI mechanical buffer.  Also  I know 45acp is subsonic but at what barrel length does than end bc mine 16" and I would like to shoot a quieter JHP. I have shot 95-147gr in my 9mm's and the 147's are noticeably quieter than 95-115gr. So I would like to due the same with the 45acp, any 185-230's quieter than others in a 16" barrel??
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:45:05 PM EDT
[#16]
We need pictures!  Sounds like a nice setup.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:24:09 AM EDT
[#17]
I'd be surprised if you could get a 230 grain 45 load supersonic with any barrel length. Not with any load that wouldn't blow up a 1911 that is.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:54:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'll try but I had free photo bucket expire and don't know what to use now.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:03:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:16:01 PM EDT
[#20]
I have an Oly upper that has been shortened to 10" ported and has an integral suppressor.

I  have had it for at least 10 years and it has had 3 or 4 thousand rounds through it at least.

I started out with a standard lower using modified Uzi mags and then got a CNC lower and now use GG mags.

The lower has a standard rifle buffer and spring.

I have had just a couple malfunctions in all that time and they were caused by issues with Uzi mags.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:36:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds good buddy, I'll do that.

Edit-Ok just emailed to you.
thanks Jimmy
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:47:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:28:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks Rudy,
So what do you guys think????????????/ Be honest.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 1:33:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 4:58:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'd replace the forward assist plunger with an aluminum plug........not needed on the blowback......and you'll have the beginning of another rifle.........
not a huge fan of the spikes lower.....but overall a nice clean looking rifle
View Quote

Thanks Rudy,
I was going to plug it with a piece of brass and lock tite or something, I had the lower for the Beowulf build as a dedicated hog gun theme so I had it sitting around. But I can still hunt hogs with a 45acp too. the mag block and mags worked great, no BHO so when inserting a loaded mag with the bolt closed they wont snap in w/o a firm smack other than that it all works great so far.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 5:57:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 6:08:00 PM EDT
[#27]
LOL....is that all.  I also want to see your new mags/mag block, is it still coming out soon?
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 6:39:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Do your aluminum plugs come out? I put a Delrin plug in one of mine; needed to be "tapped" in.  That sucker would not come out and there was no way to tap it out from the other side.  Ended up drilling the bugger out.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 6:52:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Do your aluminum plugs come out? I put a Delrin plug in one of mine; needed to be "tapped" in.  That sucker would not come out and there was no way to tap it out from the other side.  Ended up drilling the bugger out.
View Quote

Why did u need to remove it? Also since most 45acp loads are subsonic, have u noticied any real difference in loudness between 185, 200, 230grain,etc?

Link Posted: 9/5/2015 9:42:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 10:10:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Why did u need to remove it? Also since most 45acp loads are subsonic, have u noticied any real difference in loudness between 185, 200, 230grain,etc?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I took out the Delrin plug to put in a gas vent.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top