Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/3/2015 11:37:36 PM EDT
Been a long time since I even looked into the 9mm AR world.  IIRC the last time was when the bottom loading VM HyTec block had people's attention and C-products hadn't started producing mags yet.

So who's now the go-to for drop in blocks?  I'm thinking of dropping it into my SBR when the mood suits me and for doing some cheaper destructive testing of some homemade polymer lowers.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 11:42:15 PM EDT
[#1]
IDK, my VM is still rocking.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 11:45:41 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

IDK, my VM is still rocking.
View Quote

I was unhappy to find out that they went belly up and are no longer being made.  Would have been perfect for what I'm wanting to do.  I want something that's fairly reliable, but more importantly something that is easy to convert back and forth.  BHO is nice, but not necessary.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 1:41:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't know the manufacturer, but a buddy of mine has an insert that fits in to the mag well and secures with an Allen screw.

Once it is installed it's invisible and I think it takes UZI mags.

His receiver is registered and the 9mm upper runs flawlessly with that device in place.

I wish I had more info, OP.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 2:49:15 AM EDT
[#4]
AMM Arms

MAHA
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 6:09:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
AMM Arms

MAHA
View Quote

That looks like it.

Thanks.

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 7:52:27 AM EDT
[#6]
RRA is my go to...
I have built 4 for myself and others.

ALL are great runners ! !

Spikes are OK, as I used one and it ran well.

AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE, AMERICAN SPIRIT ARMS.
Got it at Brownells. Brownells only sells the best, RIGHT ?

I almost didn't build another one, as the one I tried it on was a JAM A RAMA.
Put on a RRA and the rest is history.

9 m.m. is my favorite of my AR's

I have 9's as well as ...
 .22 LR  
7.62X39
 300 blk

They are like my children, man .
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 11:03:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
AMM Arms

MAHA
View Quote

This is the correct choice.  Mine has run flawlessly.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 11:24:00 AM EDT
[#8]
AMM Arms works flawless.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:42:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
AMM Arms

MAHA

About that whole pesky out of stock thing though.....

I'll give them a call after work and see what they ETA is on the next batch.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 1:39:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Palmetto has been teasing us with a glock compatible block in the near future. I'm holding out hope..
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 2:24:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:  Been a long time since I even looked into the 9mm AR world.  IIRC the last time was when the bottom loading VM HyTec block had people's attention and C-products hadn't started producing mags yet.

So who's now the go-to for drop in blocks?  I'm thinking of dropping it into my SBR when the mood suits me and for doing some cheaper destructive testing of some homemade polymer lowers.
View Quote

Fruity lowers?  

IIRC, the Uzi mag adapter isn't being made anymore.  You can make one out of a standard Colt mag adapter & an Uzi lower flat or magwell.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 3:06:15 PM EDT
[#12]
the email I got said 12 to 14 weeks for them to come back in. they had an issue with the last batch making them unusable.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 3:15:02 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Fruity lowers?  

IIRC, the Uzi mag adapter isn't being made anymore.  You can make one out of a standard Colt mag adapter & an Uzi lower flat or magwell.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:  Been a long time since I even looked into the 9mm AR world.  IIRC the last time was when the bottom loading VM HyTec block had people's attention and C-products hadn't started producing mags yet.

Fruity lowers?  

The fruitiest .
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 8:39:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Hahn bottom loader is excellent, use Colt or Metalform magazines.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 9:19:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Hahn dedicated is great as well.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 10:23:09 PM EDT
[#16]
How good/bad are the pro-mag ones?  

Hahn are my 1st choice, but that price compared to the AAM one (when in stock), is a tough pill to swallow since this wont be going into a dedicated lower.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 10:37:00 PM EDT
[#17]
OP - of course, once you get one - you can cast it.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 10:59:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
How good/bad are the pro-mag ones?  

Hahn are my 1st choice, but that price compared to the AAM one (when in stock), is a tough pill to swallow since this wont be going into a dedicated lower.  
View Quote

My promag block works good with metalform mags. I think you can cut the "ears" off the promag block and then you can swap it out without removing the bolt catch.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 7:29:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
AMM Arms

MAHA

I'm assuming that is a top mount? Does the bolt catch need to be removed to install it? How does it compare to the Hahn dedicated block? Nevermind - googled the answers
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 9:08:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I'm assuming that is a top mount? Does the bolt catch need to be removed to install it? How does it compare to the Hahn dedicated block? Nevermind - googled the answers
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
AMM Arms
MAHA

I'll Answer any way.  The AMM Block is a bottom loading that locks in place the rubber stops.  My room Mate and I have one and we have had no issue with them.  The look very simular to the Spike block that was discontinued.  

MAHA
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 9:10:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Hahn top loader.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 9:31:24 AM EDT
[#22]
anyone built one with the PSA 9mm pistol kit yet?
i have a personal interest in that specific kit.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 10:59:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Mine came from RRA with the upper.  The set screw pushes out one or two pins that hold the block firmly in place (it has been a while since I installed it). The set screw doesn't actually touch the lower.  It hasn't moved a fraction of an inch since I put it in.  I have 6 mags that regularly cycle through the gun, so it has had a lot of testing.  Modified Uzi mags work with it, but Metalform/Brownells mags have the bolt hold open feature, which is not underrated.    They seem to be more reliable than Uzi mags.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 11:22:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have their rifle kit being delivered next week, with one of their stripped lowers for a customer. I will give you an update after it's put together and tested.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 12:52:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I have their rifle kit being delivered next week, with one of their stripped lowers for a customer. I will give you an update after it's put together and tested.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AWESOME!!
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 3:28:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Hahn top loader.
View Quote

This is what I'm using, works great. No bolt hold open with the top load though.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 7:08:17 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm using RRA and works just fine.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 2:11:54 PM EDT
[#28]
I chased this rabbit all around after ordering several Anderson Lowers.  AHM said in their email it would be late October before the next batch came out. They will process the request folks have sent in once the materials are sourced and ready.
SO on the low end you get the PSA non adjustable unit, or go with the more expensive Hahn unit for $150 or so from Brownells. Well after ordering my Lowers, parts kit, MOE stock and Hahn Mag block.....I learn BlacK Creek Precision has a dedicated 9mm Lower on sale for $125.

All of  sudden the dedicated lower is starting to look more cost effective. And then /I decided to do the right thing and just get one of each. So after the Labor day sale, I expect to have  a complete upper and see which platform runs the smoothest. Maybe they will both run fine and ...then what?

Many step have been taken but the journey is far from being complete.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 5:27:36 PM EDT
[#29]
saw that too, and considered it, because the stuff I bought is burning a hole in my pocket trying to get it to run waiting for that mag block.

I am holding fast because apparently some mags may or may not work on dedicated lowers. since the mag block is adjustible, you can make up from some mag issues.
I already bought the mags so I am going to wait now for the "right" mag block to run them in.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:40:58 PM EDT
[#30]
I was asked by a poster here to demonstrate a procedure for installing a 9mm mag block on an AR-15 lower.

I had ordered at PSA 9mm rifle kit and a PSA lower.  They came in today.

Here is the assembled upper and the lower parts in a bag

Here is the Mag Block

Here is the unramped Bolt

SORRY PHOTOS FROM THIS POINT ON ARE SLIGHTLY OUT OF FOCUS

Here is the assembled lower prior to the insertion of the mag block.  BTW, the rear pivot pin
hole is now threaded for a 4/40 set screw ala Aero Precision making assembly much easier.
The lower was a PSA blem but I could not find any cosmetic issues.

Prior to attempting to insert the mag block I cover it with grease (using just standard brake grease)

I then place the mag block in the lower and lightly tap with a rubber mallet on the feed ramp to seat the block
Do not tap on the back of the block or you could damage the ejector or ears. Lightly tap it into place. You don't need
to beat it into place.

Check to make sure the block is even with the top of the lower

And that the cut out for the mag release is lined up with the mag release in the lower

Install the mag release and check to make sure the magazine is properly held in place and releases freely

Then install the upper and make sure it fits properly on the lower.  At this point in time I will load up 9 mm dummy rounds
into a magazine and test feeding from the mag to the chamber, along with extraction and ejection.  Next step is a trip to the range
to test actual firing.

There is not a significant time difference between assembling a 9mm lower over a 5.56 lower.

If you don't care for the smooth sided upper you can replace the upper with a standard 5.56 upper.

There are those who prefer a ramped bolt over a unramped bolt, since the kit came with a 9mm hammer, I didn't see
the need for a ramped bolt.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:43:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I chased this rabbit all around after ordering several Anderson Lowers.  AHM said in their email it would be late October before the next batch came out. They will process the request folks have sent in once the materials are sourced and ready.
SO on the low end you get the PSA non adjustable unit, or go with the more expensive Hahn unit for $150 or so from Brownells. Well after ordering my Lowers, parts kit, MOE stock and Hahn Mag block.....I learn BlacK Creek Precision has a dedicated 9mm Lower on sale for $125.

All of  sudden the dedicated lower is starting to look more cost effective. And then /I decided to do the right thing and just get one of each. So after the Labor day sale, I expect to have  a complete upper and see which platform runs the smoothest. Maybe they will both run fine and ...then what?

View Quote

If you decide to SBR a lower, I like the idea of the top load mag block because it's easy to switch calibers. I can just take out the mag block, and switch the buffer and upper to 556/300.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:57:24 AM EDT
[#32]
LOOKS GOOD!!

**does it lock back on an empty mag?
I'm interested in the range report to find about how the PSA mags worked.. (I hear that they work well with their kits)

Mama's Birthday, Our Anniversary, and my youngest daughter's birthday are coming up, but after that.. I'll have one of these on my bench.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:29:46 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

LOOKS GOOD!!

I'm interested in the range report to find about how the PSA mags worked.. (I hear that they work well with their kits)

Mama's Birthday, Our Anniversary, and my youngest daughter's birthday are coming up, but after that.. I'll have one of these on my bench.
View Quote
I purchased the PSA 9mm kit and 3 of their magazines. Using the PSA LPK and magwell block, I assembled this on a standard Anderson lower. There were no issues at all. The magwell block slide in easily, no need to hammer or add grease. I ran 200 rounds thru it this past weekend with no problems. The bolt held open after the last round, the magazines dropped free and the rifle is damn accurate (granted I was only on a 25 yard range) using a Vortex Spitfire RDS.

I also had the bolt ramped.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:24:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
LOOKS GOOD!!

View Quote

Function testing went well. 50 rounds of FMJ military ammo, 50 rounds of reloads consisting of RCBS 125 grain truncated cone slug over 5 grains of Unique.
No malfunctions, feeding, or ejection problems. The bolt does lock back  (I found the problem and corrected it, it was an improper install of the bolt catch on my part)

When I was policing up my brass I found the case shown below.

It appears to have fired when it was not fully chambered.  It may have been a function of a high primer or the case not seating completely.
I didn't notice anything unusual at the time, so I am not sure when it happened. In any case, it is a reloading error rather than a rifle error.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:13:53 PM EDT
[#35]
whoa..
that case is trippy lookin'
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:14:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:  When I was policing up my brass I found the case shown below.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a292/18_Zulu/9mm%20AR15/HPIM0678.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a292/18_Zulu/9mm%20AR15/HPIM0674.jpg

It appears to have fired when it was not fully chambered.  It may have been a function of a high primer or the case not seating completely.
I didn't notice anything unusual at the time, so I am not sure when it happened. In any case, it is a reloading error rather than a rifle error.
View Quote

Ummm.  I don't think the blowback bolt has the same protections against an OOB as a locking AR bolt does.  You positive it's your brass?  Same headstamp?
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:49:07 AM EDT
[#37]
OOB?
(out of battery?)
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:34:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:  OOB?
(out of battery?)
View Quote

Think it's one of the possible explanations for that brass, no?
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:06:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  OOB?
(out of battery?)

I was asking about the nomenclature, not questioning the conclusion.

I would think that if a bolt was out of battery during ignition, that it would be more likely to cause the bolt to blow backwards or dislodge the primer than re-shape the brass..

but I have absolutely NO IDEA.. I'm not a reloader, nor am I an engineer.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:51:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

If you decide to SBR a lower, I like the idea of the top load mag block because it's easy to switch calibers. I can just take out the mag block, and switch the buffer and upper to 556/300.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is why I went with a separate magazine block.  Mine is a Rock River block that came with a factory 9mm Carbine, but I can switch it to my SBR lower and run a short barrel whenever I want.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:58:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Ummm.  I don't think the blowback bolt has the same protections against an OOB as a locking AR bolt does.  You positive it's your brass?  Same headstamp?
View Quote
The PSA 9mm bolt's firing pin has a spring that keeps it from going forward except with a hammer strike, and the rear of the firing pin does have pretty close to the same protection you see on a standard (shrouded) AR carrier.  I think it's possible a non-standard round might have caused this problem.  Interested in hearing from the OP on whether or not that was definitely his brass...
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:56:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Check the chamber, you either have a case broke off or your ammo is not fully seating in the chamber, your lucky no cases blew out, stop and figure out WTF before you shoot her again.  Reloads?   A high primer = no fire not early fire, high primers will Not go off most of the time.   They need to be flush or below the case head, this looks like ammo that will not drop in and out of chamber freely
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top