Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/3/2015 4:07:57 PM EDT
As the title says,what do OWNERS OF THE GUN THINK. Really on the fence whether to get a 9mm pistol AR or get a 556 carbine.One thing I have noticed in following posts is that 9mm AR pistols don't function well with hollow point ammo,is this true?Not wanting to get a debate started,just wanting facts from those who own one.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 4:09:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
As the title says,what do OWNERS OF THE GUN THINK. Really on the fence whether to get a 9mm pistol AR or get a 556 carbine.One thing I have noticed in following posts is that 9mm AR pistols don't function well with hollow point ammo,is this true?Not wanting to get a debate started,just wanting facts from those who own one.
View Quote

Any quality 9mm should feed and function with pretty much any 9mm ammo.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 4:12:53 PM EDT
[#2]
If you actually want to use it for self defense, the 5.56 has a much more devastating wound profile when compared with 9mm.  This is of course somewhat ammunition dependent.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 4:32:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 4:35:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you actually want to use it for self defense, the 5.56 has a much more devastating wound profile when compared with 9mm.  This is of course somewhat ammunition dependent.
View Quote

I have owned a AR carbine,so I can only imagine the concussion from firing one indoors,and there's no doubt it has more stopping power than a 9mm,but I was looking at the 9mm AR for indoor use with hollow point ammo,but many here have posted their gun shoots FMJ ammo great,but they have feeding problems with hollow point ammo.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 4:36:42 PM EDT
[#5]
My humble opinion...  I decided that my 9MM SBR is my choice for home defense.  I do believe a 5.56/.223 rifle round is a better stopper than a 9mm HP fired from a 5" SBR.  My 9mm SBR is also suppressed.  In the case of a sudden home invasion, a hearing safe, reliable and a platform that is more accurate than a handgun (for me anyway) is preferred.  My 5.56 AR-15 is LOUD, and in the rush to get it deployed, I seriously doubt I would have the frame of mind to get my ears on.  With 32 rounds and a maneuverable, accurate, fast shooting, hearing safe platform, I think its pretty ideal.  By the way, my 9mm SBR is very reliable after shooting hundreds of rounds (at the range) of HST 147, Ranger-T 147, and GD 147 rounds (my poor wallet!) with zero malfunctions. I have full confidence in it.

All that said, it's a great range toy, too (especially with cheaper FMJ's).  I hope I never have to fire it in my home, but I would if I had to, and I believe it would be very effective.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 4:38:37 PM EDT
[#6]
5.56 is better than 9mm in every way
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 5:04:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

My humble opinion... I decided that my 9MM SBR is my choice for home defense. I do believe a 5.56/.223 rifle round is a better stopper than a 9mm HP fired from a 5" SBR. My 9mm SBR is also suppressed. In the case of a sudden home invasion, a hearing safe, reliable and a platform that is more accurate than a handgun (for me anyway) is preferred. My 5.56 AR-15 is LOUD, and in the rush to get it deployed, I seriously doubt I would have the frame of mind to get my ears on. With 32 rounds and a maneuverable, accurate, fast shooting, hearing safe platform, I think its pretty ideal. By the way, my 9mm SBR is very reliable after shooting hundreds of rounds (at the range) of HST 147, Ranger-T 147, and GD 147 rounds (my poor wallet!) with zero malfunctions. I have full confidence in it.

All that said, it's a great range toy, too (especially with cheaper FMJ's). I hope I never have to fire it in my home, but I would if I had to, and I believe it would be very effective.
View Quote
I like my hearing, I've got a can to help out.  Even without the can I would still take the 5.56.  In addition to much better ballistic performance you also get soft armor penetration.  Personally I go for 40 roudns of 75gr TAP for HD.

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 5:18:04 PM EDT
[#8]
5.56 for the crooks wearing soft armor are becoming more common.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 5:43:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I've only shot 16 rounds of hollow point so far through my 9mm ar, but it functioned flawlessly.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 6:13:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Why couldn't it be a home defense weapon? People use 9mm pistols all the time. Having a stock and red dot could make things more accurate.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 10:10:06 AM EDT
[#11]
You will have to try the ammo you use for function, just like you would for any firearm.

I have a 9mm in Glock and dedicated Colt mags.   It seems the Glock lower will feed more types of hollow points than the Colt type.   YMMV.

If you have a suppressed 5.56 it might be a bit better than a 9mm.   The 16 inch 9mm carbine will not be bad noise wise and will allow you to direct 9mm bullets that will be close to 357 Magnum revolver power with eye socket accuracy at close range.    Careful ammo selection is necessary.   I have chronoed the CorBon 115 gr 9mm load at 1440 fps from a 16 inch barrel.   You will pick up at least 150 fps over the 4 inch pistol with the carbine.   That is enough to insure expansion with a hollow point.

If you 9mm carbine has trouble with hollow points, try the Remington 115 gr HP loads that have a more rounded shape.   The Federal 115 gr loads also have a more rounded shape and have worked well in my 9mm pistols.    Both bullets types have been loaded since the early days when 9mm pistols where not meant for hollow points.

9mm carbines are a favorite of mine.   As a reloader, the 9mm components are cheap and plentiful.   That makes a big difference today.

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 10:14:53 AM EDT
[#12]
I think I'd prefer a 9mm AR for home defense simply because of the noise aspect. A 9mm handgun indoors is loud. One with a 16"+ barrel won't be nearly as loud. Of course, the real answer is suppressors, but not all of us have those.

And for the power aspect, round-for-round a 5.56 is much more powerful, but unless your home invaders have body armor or you're in a commie state with tiny magazines, a 9mm AR can carry more than enough ammo to make up for the weaker shots.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 10:23:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Here is some gel for common handgun hollow points:

Here is 75gr TAP:

Damaged area appears to be two to three times as wide as common handgun wounds.  I'll take the 75gr TAP every time if I have a choice.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 4:18:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
http://emptormaven.com/img/Pistol_Round_Terminal_Ballistics.jpg

Here is 75gr TAP:
https://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/WebData/HornadyRifle/223-rem-75-BTHP-Gelatin.jpg

Damaged area appears to be two to three times as wide as common handgun wounds.  I'll take the 75gr TAP every time if I have a choice.
View Quote

I have seen that top image for years but have yet to see what specific bullet was used for each pistol caliber.... Data is likely outdated with the advancement of modern bullet technology.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 4:28:30 PM EDT
[#15]
9mm, 147g +P HST would get the job done.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 4:40:00 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I have seen that top image for years but have yet to see what specific bullet was used for each pistol caliber.... Data is likely outdated with the advancement of modern bullet technology.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://emptormaven.com/img/Pistol_Round_Terminal_Ballistics.jpg

Here is 75gr TAP:

https://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/WebData/HornadyRifle/223-rem-75-BTHP-Gelatin.jpg

Damaged area appears to be two to three times as wide as common handgun wounds. I'll take the 75gr TAP every time if I have a choice.

It won't change much, theirs just not enough energy available in the pistol calibers.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 5:04:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
5.56 is better than 9mm in every way
View Quote

This.
I own more than one of each. The 9mms are fun.

I have seen people shot with 9mms (handguns)as well as people shot with 5.56. Like I said, the 9mms are fun. And FWIW, my chronograph says the 9mm doesnt gain much with a longer barrel. Another FWIW: if I ever had to defend my life, preserving my hearing isnt at the top of my list of worries.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 5:14:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 11:10:46 AM EDT
[#19]
I feel much more comfortable shooting my 11.5" suppressed 5.56 rifle than I do a 10.5" AR pistol. If you do plan to use the 9mm as your HD gun, use a stock (SBR or 16" barrel) and a silencer.

Shooting the AR pistol using a sling and cheek weld only (no sig brace)  is fun for the range but not for betting my life on it. Plus I haven't spend enough time/effort/money to find a reliable 9mm yet, but it seems like it can be done.

So either way, 9mm or 5.56, make sure it has a stock.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 3:22:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 10:24:35 AM EDT
[#21]
I wouldn't hesitate to use a 9mm carbine for HD.  Is as good as a 5.56?  No.  is it better than a pistol or shotgun?  Absolutely.  Let's not forget that for at least about 2 decades entry teams relied on 9mm SMG's to do very dangerous work in close quarters.  They will get the job done if you do your part.  There are better options today, especially if you have access to a suppressed 5.56 SBR, but relegating a 9mm carbine to "range toy" status is silly.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 11:04:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 12:02:55 PM EDT
[#23]
My 9mm Glock mag lower AR feeds and cycles anything I feed it. Hollow points run just as well as FMJ.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 12:21:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I think I'd prefer a 9mm AR for home defense simply because of the noise aspect. A 9mm handgun indoors is loud. One with a 16"+ barrel won't be nearly as loud. Of course, the real answer is suppressors, but not all of us have those.

And for the power aspect, round-for-round a 5.56 is much more powerful, but unless your home invaders have body armor or you're in a commie state with tiny magazines, a 9mm AR can carry more than enough ammo to make up for the weaker shots.
View Quote

You're deluding yourself thinking NOISE from one firearm is louder than the other. IT'S ALL LOUD.

IF (key word) IF an unwanted entry in your abode was happening. You don't have time to gear up with eyes & ears. You may not have time for anything but stopping the threat.  So please put the idea of Less Noise aside and focus on the firearm one feels comfortable using as a primary HD unit.
I can assure you the last thing you'll be concerned about is your hearing.

Our HD choices are in place based on ease of use & comfort level. ALL of our guns are fully functional. However the spouse prefers her SBS shotgun as #1, the SBR AR a close second. The 26 for up close and personal. Keeping in mind, job 1 is preventing an opposing team from getting closer than they already are. Not how loud one gun is over the other.

Link Posted: 8/8/2015 4:24:25 PM EDT
[#25]
its fine for hd/shtf/range/fun.
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 4:56:52 PM EDT
[#26]
A gun is better than no gun. Thats all I have to say.
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 5:02:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 7:28:12 PM EDT
[#28]
I've had two 9mm ARs, the first one wouldn't feed anything reliably. I didn't even trust it as a range toy. (RRA mag block)

The second one feeds hollow points perfectly and has been extremely reliable. I would trust it as a home defense weapon for sure. (DDLES glock)

I can't tell you what to choose, but I'll say this- I have a 100% reliable and functional 9mm SBR and It is my SECOND choice for home defense.

Link Posted: 8/9/2015 5:52:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

You're deluding yourself thinking NOISE from one firearm is louder than the other. IT'S ALL LOUD.

IF (key word) IF an unwanted entry in your abode was happening. You don't have time to gear up with eyes & ears. You may not have time for anything but stopping the threat.  So please put the idea of Less Noise aside and focus on the firearm one feels comfortable using as a primary HD unit.

Our HD choices are in place based on ease of use & comfort level. ALL of our guns are fully functional. However the spouse prefers her SBS shotgun as #1, the SBR AR a close second. The 26 for up close and personal. Keeping in mind, job 1 is preventing an opposing team from getting closer than they already are. Not how loud one gun is over the other.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

I'd take the 5.56 over the 9mm anyway because it IS more devastating and it IS less likely to over penetrate sheetrock than 9mm.  Best of both worlds...
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 9:29:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just because you won't be concerned with your hearing then doesn't mean you shouldn't be now.  Have you fired these indoors without hearing protection?  If you don't have a can 5.56 is an entire different level of "loud" than 9mm, especially an SBR.   The louder it is, the more permanent hearing loss it can and will cause.

That poster is correct, the perfect answer is a can.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 7:21:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Personally I cant think of a reason why I would want to use a suppressor on a HD gun...

I can think of two reasons not to though:

1. Loud noises can be awefullly disorienting and unnerving to a would-be home invader.  Even though everyone here is a crack shot with thousands of rounds on a two way range, its still possible for your aim to be off when your adrenalin is pumping.  It seems to me that maybe the concussion of a muzzle blast aimed in the general diection of an attacker would be worth the small ammount of hearing loss you'll suffer from firing a few rounds in an enclosed space.
Think "Flash-Bang"

2. You might as well kiss that suppressor goodbye if you shoot someone with it.  It will be tied up in court as evidence (along with your rifle) until the case is decided.  I personally would like to keep the number of my items in an evidence locker to a minimum.

Back to the OPs question, my 9mm SBR shoots 147gr hollow points with no problems.  I thikn its a great HD weapon, especially coinsidering my 5'1" wife shoots it well and it fits her perfectly when collapsed.  Its a low recoiling gun and the size is just right for anyone in the house.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 1:38:02 AM EDT
[#32]
It is a matter of choice.  

Like everyone else here, I have multiple 9mm ARs, including a 7" suppressed  gun.    It is probably my favorite.    I also have an 8.5" 300  BO suppressed.   I have  a half dozen 5.56 ARs from 14.5" to 20" .   These include a short stroke piston gun, M4geries, a DMR gun, and an A2 copy.   Some are suppressed and most are not.   I know I need to add a short 5.56 and suppress it.   I have a dedicated 5.56 suppressor set aside for what will hopefully be an 11.5" short stroke piston upper.  

Like everyone else here, I am .mil as a Combat Medic, Combat Engineer Officer, Light Infantry Officer, and Recon team lead.   I have certainly spent my time with 45s, 9mms, 5.56, and 308s/7.62s outdoors/indoors including in vehicles.

Like many here, I have also used firearms in the civilian world.   I have beaten felony charges more than once following several encounters.   (Only been indicted once.  Charges were dropped after the jury was seated and waiting to start the trail.   I would not give in, and they caved.)

Like everyone else here,  I have a good selection of all sorts of  firearms.   However, I do not own any full autos.            

So, what are my "preferences"?    I always carry at least a 380 when out of the house.    Why?   I always carry.   I can manage a 380 LCP/P3AT and spare mag when even a 9mm is not comfortable for me, such as my Kahr PM9, a tiny 9mm.    The reality is the vast majority of the time, I carry 2 guns.    I usually add either a Glock 22 or 35 with lights and 5 spare mags.   Still, the LCP is the primary as it  MUCH  more discrete and faster into action, where as everyone would see me go for one of my Glocks, even one of my G27s.  

Inside the houses, I keep a G22 or G35 around me.    (Yes, I own 1911s, Sigs, and Brownings along with others.)

I sleep with a G22 or G35 next to me.  

I rarely carry an AR in public.   On the few occasions I carry an AR outside of a vehicle, it is usually the short, suppressed 9mm AR.  During times of social stupidity, I have carried one of  my 14.5" ARs inside the car with me within reach.    

So, obviously, I do not rely on an AR today, like I did in the military.

On the other hand, I do keep several  ARs relatively handy, unloaded with loaded mags handy too.   Of these, what would I grab?   It depends on where I am.    If I am at my  country estate, which has great indoor and outdoor security,  I generally go with a Glock in 40, but would go with one of the M4geries  in 5.56 out of the ARs.   In the city, at my little house, of the ARs, I have usually grabbed the 9mm suppressed 7" AR, even instead of the suppressed 300 BO next to it.     It IS quiet.   Most people would never know anything was going on, probably no one.   At the mountain cabin in the middle of the National Forest,  I would prefer a 5.56 AR.    

The suppressed 9mm AR seems to get all the attention at our training range.   It does not hurt that is also super quiet, even in confined spaces.   Some AR guys get a kick out of how fast I can shoot it too.    I shoot it faster than any of my 5.56 ARs with TacCon 3MR triggers, bumpfire stocks, Geissele SD3G and S3G triggers, and Jard trigger set ups that I have.    

I guess I like my short, suppressed, 9mm AR a lot.   The thing is super reliable, fast, controllable, quiet,  and accurate.    I run an Aimpoint T1 or H1 on about 4 of my 5.56 ARs.   On the short 9mm AR,  I prefer my Trijicon reflex ACOG.   I do have several others optics that I think are fine.    I have a Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 on my DMR gun, an Eotech on  another AR, and a few Aimpoint PROs.   I also do like my 20" that I have set up for target shooting with open target sites.        

I would also add that while I own a Python, Gold Cup, and collectible S&W, I don't carry them.    I don't carry or rely on anything I am not prepared to loose.    In one situation in which I was charged with a felony,  the charges were dropped without an indictment, but I did permanently give up a Glock 23.   I bought most of my suppressors for fighting.  

Link Posted: 8/11/2015 8:48:40 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

SNIP

The suppressed 9mm AR seems to get all the attention at our training range. It does not hurt that is also super quiet, even in confined spaces. Some AR guys get a kick out of how fast I can shoot it too. I shoot it faster than any of my 5.56 ARs with TacCon 3MR triggers, bumpfire stocks, Geissele SD3G and S3G triggers, and Jard trigger set ups that I have.

SNIP
View Quote

If your shooting your 9mm AR faster than a bumpstock your doing something wrong.  I routinely run my bump gun between 750 and 1000rpm.  Are you shoulder bumping the 9mm?
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 9:10:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

If your shooting your 9mm AR faster than a bumpstock your doing something wrong.  I routinely run my bump gun between 750 and 1000rpm.  Are you shoulder bumping the 9mm?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SNIP

The suppressed 9mm AR seems to get all the attention at our training range. It does not hurt that is also super quiet, even in confined spaces. Some AR guys get a kick out of how fast I can shoot it too. I shoot it faster than any of my 5.56 ARs with TacCon 3MR triggers, bumpfire stocks, Geissele SD3G and S3G triggers, and Jard trigger set ups that I have.

SNIP

Nothing is wrong.

You bump your 5.56 ARs 750-1,000 rpm?

My 5.56 guns run fine with bumpfire stocks.    (I keep spare lowers configured with a bumpfire stock and another for a TacCon 3MR just for "S&G".)   I know I can fire my 9mm ARs faster, even without a bumpfir stock, than any of my 5.56 guns using a bumpfire stock.    I makes sense as the 9mm is a straight blow back.

Link Posted: 8/11/2015 9:34:19 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Nothing is wrong.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

SNIP

SNIP

If your shooting your 9mm AR faster than a bumpstock your doing something wrong. I routinely run my bump gun between 750 and 1000rpm. Are you shoulder bumping the 9mm?

Nothing is wrong.

Absolutely. Here is 977rpm:

CFz1tiVIiAs

Just under 1000rpm:

http://youtu.be/VX8hSupbHcM

A slower 750rpm run with a 40rd Pmag:

http://youtu.be/-kKWMqt6TnQ

A 60rd surefire, run in short bursts, bursts are around 750rpm:

http://youtu.be/K-I-g6c2LUQ

Link Posted: 8/11/2015 9:42:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Thanks.

I'll follow up later.

You seem familiar.    Are you the famous "saw" gunner guy?   If so, it is a pleasure to meet you.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 9:53:29 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Thanks.

I'll follow up later.

You seem familiar. Are you the famous "saw" gunner guy? If so, it is a pleasure to meet you.

View Quote

Your probably thinking of SkilletsUSMC.  We both have bump gun threads though.  His is the GD thread and mine is the tech thread.  Feel free to IM anytime.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 1:38:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Personally I cant think of a reason why I would want to use a suppressor on a HD gun...

I can think of two reasons not to though:

1. Loud noises can be awefullly disorienting and unnerving to a would-be home invader.  Even though everyone here is a crack shot with thousands of rounds on a two way range, its still possible for your aim to be off when your adrenalin is pumping.  It seems to me that maybe the concussion of a muzzle blast aimed in the general diection of an attacker would be worth the small ammount of hearing loss you'll suffer from firing a few rounds in an enclosed space.
Think "Flash-Bang"

2. You might as well kiss that suppressor goodbye if you shoot someone with it.  It will be tied up in court as evidence (along with your rifle) until the case is decided.  I personally would like to keep the number of my items in an evidence locker to a minimum.

Back to the OPs question, my 9mm SBR shoots 147gr hollow points with no problems.  I thikn its a great HD weapon, especially coinsidering my 5'1" wife shoots it well and it fits her perfectly when collapsed.  Its a low recoiling gun and the size is just right for anyone in the house.
View Quote

suppressors are less expensive than hearing aids.   A suppressed 5.56, probably w/ a shorter barrel, is still plenty loud to scare bad guys.

the ideal, IMO is probably  a suppressed Aug or FS2000 in 5.56, OAL of like an 11" AR but better ballistics and noticibly quiter.   I think this is better than a super short 9m or 300 BO AR b/c the more controlled penetration through walls coupled w/ devastiting terminal ballistics.  

I will probably never get a bullpup again though and will make due w/ 11-12" ARs in 5.56.  I would probably like to get a 5-6" 9mm AR too.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 1:46:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Like everyone else here, I have multiple 9mm ARs, including a 7" suppressed  gun.    It is probably my favorite.    I also have an 8.5" 300  BO suppressed.   I have  a half dozen 5.56 ARs from 14.5" to 20" .   These include a short stroke piston gun, M4geries, a DMR gun, and an A2 copy.   Some are suppressed and most are not.   I know I need to add a short 5.56 and suppress it.   I have a dedicated 5.56 suppressor set aside for what will hopefully be an 11.5" short stroke piston upper.  

Like everyone else here, I am .mil as a Combat Medic, Combat Engineer Officer, Light Infantry Officer, and Recon team lead.   I have certainly spent my time with 45s, 9mms, 5.56, and 308s/7.62s outdoors/indoors including in vehicles.

Like many here, I have also used firearms in the civilian world.   I have beaten felony charges more than once following several encounters.   (Only been indicted once.  Charges were dropped after the jury was seated and waiting to start the trail.   I would not give in, and they caved.)

View Quote

you must have some stories to tell.

I don't htink that many here have used firearms, even brandished them, in self defense.  You seem especially...lucky.  
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top