Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/30/2015 7:25:58 PM EDT

I purchased a complete PSA 9mm lower with their proprietary 9mm mag block installed.  Well it jammed from the very beginning and it was due to the mag block sliding upwards.  I contacted PSA and they exchanged it.  The new mag block is doing the exact same thing.  Anyone have success with their mag blocks?  Or what is an alternative to the non-working PSA block?

Glad my other 9mm carbines work as so far this PSA is horrible.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:31:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:57:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I am trying to use it with a PSA upper but they changed out the bolt for a ramped model.  In both instances the mag block slid upward a hair where the magazine release would no longer grab onto an inserted magazine.  I could tap it back into place with a soft nosed hammer and then it would move again.  My friend has the Spike's magazine block that is retained with some kind of tension via allen screws I believe he said and his works fine.

The lower is from PSA and originally came as a 9mm lower so it is their lower and magazine block.  I appreciate the offer of you taking a look at it but I am near Orlando and that would be a decent road trip.

Edit.  Before my friend put it in he took a magazine release from his parts pile and it showed some slop when placed against the hole in the magazine block.  I guess the cutter got a little extra material that day.  
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:11:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:53:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I like the idea of the Permatex.  Is there a few minutes of working time to make sure it is in the correct spot before it sets?  The lower being a possible culprit has occured to me after talking with another friend but the lower it came in I can't give back as it has been painted.  I think I will go with the Permatex idea as the other alternatives that I see for sale are quite expensive.

Edit.  I just sent the mag block back and they then sent me a new one.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 3:01:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Frank,
I hate to hear you are still having problems. I have a full PSA setup and it runs 100%. I was surprised to see I had a ramped bolt even though the upper I bought did not say it was including one. Waiting on Form 1 now :-/.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 3:12:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 3:13:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:51:22 PM EDT
[#8]

I played with the rifle unloaded and the magazine block can move either too far up or down so getting it just right will be a bit of luck.  I will take my micrometer with me to the range and when it is just right I will make a note of it's location.  I will then try Madmachinist's suggestion of Permatex and give it a day to cure and see where I am at.  If it still has problems I will see if I can knock it loose and failing that I will destroy the lower.  Sure glad to be a hobbyist on a preassembled PSA lower.

Here is a photo of the breech face.

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 6:45:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Tag to see how this works out.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:55:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm going to be using there block, but I intend on pinning it so I don't have any of these issues.

But Permatex should work quite well for you.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:48:26 PM EDT
[#11]

My plan is to use Permatex and if that solves the issue my friend is then going to drill and pin it in place.  He has my lower right now so I will get it back later this week and update the thread.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 12:57:33 AM EDT
[#12]
" />

" />

For your reference.  My magblock fit very tight.  I had to put a little grease on it to get it all the way in.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 11:07:25 AM EDT
[#13]

I hit the range and fired about 75 rounds of 115 grain and 147 grain ammo successfully.  It not won't function with Blazer aluminum now.  That testing was with 2 magazines and when I came home to try the other 8 magazines the block moved while seeing how they fit.  The Permatex did not hold so the next step is to pin it in place.  Fun gun when it works but quite frustrating most of the time but shit like this is why it is a range toy and not a real defensive choice.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 11:38:33 AM EDT
[#14]
I purchased their upper kit and used an Anderson lower that I had. Immediately sent the unramped bolt to Rudy for his special treatment and have been able to take it to the range a few times now. Blazer, Hornaday hollow points, personal hand loads, etc have been run through it with zero issues. Also have a friend with an identical set up minus the ramping who has also put several hundred rounds down range with zero malfunctions of any sort to report.

The permatex sounds like a good route to take to start off with, though.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 8:29:56 AM EDT
[#15]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I purchased their upper kit and used an Anderson lower that I had. Immediately sent the unramped bolt to Rudy for his special treatment and have been able to take it to the range a few times now. Blazer, Hornaday hollow points, personal hand loads, etc have been run through it with zero issues. Also have a friend with an identical set up minus the ramping who has also put several hundred rounds down range with zero malfunctions of any sort to report.

The permatex sounds like a good route to take to start off with, though.
View Quote
I just put mine together this weekend. The mag well block slide right into an Anderson lower, not problem. I'm also sending my bolt to Rudy this week. Will post an AAR once I get it back and off to the range.

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top