Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/9/2015 4:03:54 PM EDT
I am going to do the cheapest 9mm build I can. What do you think it will cost me? It will just be a range toy so I figure what the heck, go cheap.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 5:39:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Ebay 9mm Barrel ~$100
Ebay 9mm Bolt ~$150
Anderson Sport Upper from AIM $40
10" ALG M lok Rail $120 Can probably find something cheaper
Charging handle $15
MBUS Sight set $100
Vortex Strike Fire $200
Lower of choice $50
LKP of choice $65
Pistol Buffer Tube W/ Buffer $40
AMM Mag Block $90

That is $900 for a pistol 9mm Build that includes a good rail optic and back up sights

MAHA
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 6:47:10 PM EDT
[#2]
YMMV but go look at a PSA kit and supply the lower, probably gonna run you about $500 + optics
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 7:45:04 PM EDT
[#3]
PSA had their 10 inch 9mm upper on sale the other day complete with bolt and charging handle for $300.  couldnt pass on the deal as i was pricing all the parts to put one together for a suppressor host.  dam PSA sure costs me a lot of $$$$$

ETA - still on sale....

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/daily-deals-new/psa-10-5-9mm-1-10-melonite-upper-with-bolt-and-charging-handle.html
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 4:51:49 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

PSA had their 10 inch 9mm upper on sale the other day complete with bolt and charging handle for $300.  couldnt pass on the deal as i was pricing all the parts to put one together for a suppressor host.  dam PSA sure costs me a lot of $$$$$

ETA - still on sale....

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/daily-deals-new/psa-10-5-9mm-1-10-melonite-upper-with-bolt-and-charging-handle.html
View Quote

With that PSA upper, what else is needed?  Does it come with a ramped bolt? Mag block? What mags does it use?

And the big question is can I shoot 9mm full auto with it if I put that upper on a RR M-16 lower?

Link Posted: 5/11/2015 5:15:25 PM EDT
[#5]
So far I have...

9mm 7.5" barrel...$74

Mag block (promag)...$38

CMMG enhanced bolt assembly...$151

I need to find the cheapest upper receiver I can. Hopefully a slick side machined for a port cover.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 5:18:49 PM EDT
[#6]
The $300 PSA upper is a good dea.  Just add a buffer and a magblock.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 6:47:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So far I have...
9mm 7.5" barrel...$74
Mag block (promag)...$38

I need to find the cheapest upper receiver I can. Hopefully a slick side machined for a port cover.
View Quote

where did you find the mag block for $38?
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 7:52:49 PM EDT
[#8]
EBay has quad rails with barrel nuts for like $25-$30 shipped.

Does the job. I have one on my .22 until strike industries comes out with their mlok.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 8:48:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Just about anywhere you can buy the promag magblock should have them for that price. Or very close to that price
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 1:22:19 AM EDT
[#10]
I built mine super cheap never added up the price but here it goes.  

PSA pistol lower Blackfriday special.       120$
Tactical Ambush blemished upper.            35$
5 in 9mm barrel Orion.                             130$
Tactical Ambush 9mm BCG                     130$
Fde 4in quad ebay rail.                               25$
Promag mag block                                      35$
ASC 9mm mags.                                        10$
Cmmg 9mm buffer.                                     20$
Total price                                               505$

So just over 500$ for just the gun

Hell I even got the can at a budget price

AAC tirant 9.                                              675$ including stamp
Sig brace                                                   120$
PRimary arms md06L Black Friday            50$

The thing runs like a top both supressed and just with a flash can.  

Link Posted: 5/12/2015 9:20:20 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So far I have...

9mm 7.5" barrel...$74

Mag block (promag)...$38

JSE Surplus $34 + $4 shipping.

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 7:43:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

With that PSA upper, what else is needed?  Does it come with a ramped bolt? Mag block? What mags does it use?

And the big question is can I shoot 9mm full auto with it if I put that upper on a RR M-16 lower?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA - still on sale....

I believe the PSA bolts are non-ramped and the subject kit does not come with the mag block.  Colt style 9mm mags are what u need.

As far as the big question on slapping it on your FA lower, I believe all you will need is a 9mm hammer and a mag block, but those more knowledgeable may correct me on that one.  I think there are issues with standard FA 556 hammers vs the 9mm hammer but I may be wrong about that.

I guess I'll find out this weekend also, as I'm putting this upper on my FA lower and see what happens.  I have a 9mm AR trigger kit including hammer being delivered friday so I'll install those if need be.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 6:39:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Bolt just came. Does CMMG mark them?
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 7:48:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

My CMMG from JSE had no mark that I could find.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 10:06:01 PM EDT
[#15]
well, I guess I might get lucky and do this for just under 500 for a complete pistol.

got that barrel for 74 bucks after shipping on ebay.
got a lower and lpk from psa for 100-110 after transfer.
got 38 dollar RRA pistol tube kit
48 dollar upper
a member was giving away a 4 way rail plus barrel nut and front cap.

if I pick up the psa bolt and the jse promag block, plus a 15 dollar charging handle, and shipping, I am into it for 429.

if I go for the 90 dollar mag block I am still just at 519.

plus some mags would put me right at 600.
not to shabby.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 1:37:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
well, I guess I might get lucky and do this for just under 500 for a complete pistol.
48 dollar upper
if I pick up the psa bolt and the jse promag block, plus a 15 dollar charging handle, and shipping, I am into it for 429.
not to shabby.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
48 dollar upper
not to shabby.

Don't forget a 9mm buffer. You will want the heavy buffer for dwell time.

Quoted:
Quoted:

My CMMG from JSE had no mark that I could find.

No markings on the CMMG bolts.

MAHA
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 8:51:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA - still on sale....

update as promised:  ok, so i got out today with the new PSA 9mm upper kit along with a Colt 9mm factory lower and a RR M16 lower.  I learned quite a lot.  I had three 9mm bolts, one being a factory 9mm Colt, a ramped RRA bolt, and the new PSA bolt (which is not ramped).  Also had a friend out with his Tirant 9 suppressor for us to try out.  Ammo on hand was 124gr FMJ, 147gr FMJ, and 158gr FMJ ball ammo.  so first off, the PSA 9mm upper itself is pretty nice for the money IMO.  It shoots accurately enough for my testing today, and I had zero failures of any kind.  next trip out I will test on paper for accuracy. Using the PSA 9mm upper on both lowers, the unit ran fine on semi auto.  The focus being though, would it work on the full auto lower.  this is where i learned a lot and it all relates to the bolts themselves.  

PSA 9mm bolt - lessons learned:  Non ramped and not a FA bolt as it does not trip the autosear on the M16 lower.  Therefore, semi auto only functioning

Colt 9mm (non ramped) bolt - lessons learned:  It does work FA on the lower....HOWEVER, trigger slap was uncomfortable and obviously a problem.  4 different buffers were tried and each one had trigger slap but the Colt 9mm buffer seemed to lessen it the most.  

RRA 9mm (ramped) bolt - lessons learned:  It does work FA on the lower with no probems and has virtually no trigger slap.  Finially settled on the Colt 9mm buffer and/or an Endine hydraulic buffer for smoothest running.  

so to summarize, you gotta go with a ramped bolt or go home if you want your PSA 9mm upper to run on your FA lower.  My machinist friend is going to ramp both my Colt and PSA bolts to have the same exact ramping as we have with the RRA bolt....problem should be solved as far as I can tell.  

the mag block worked just fine in the FA lower after a little bit of tweaking, and the bolt held open on the last shot.  

So.........if I want to have full auto capability with the PSA upper, all I'll need to do is go with a ramped bolt, swap out to the 9mm buffer, and install mag block to switch from 556 to 9mm.  easy enough....

now, with regards to the PSA non ramped and non FA bolt itself.....my machinist has a fix for it.  He's going to ramp it for starters, then machine some key material and install it on the bottom of the bolt to allow it to trip the auto sear.  this will entail some machinging work, including opening up a bigger notch in there, then placing steel in the opening and tapping it for a screw to hold the extra steel in the bolt.  Its a fair amount of work but he tells me it will be easy (for him).  Your average Joe (including me) wouldnt have a clue nor the machine shop available to tinker with that sort of thing so the easiest way would be to just get a RRA 9mm ramped bolt and be done with it.  

once i get my extra two bolts ramped, the problems will be solved and the gun should run smoothly.  

We also chronographed the 147gr and 158gr ammo and the 147s were running about 100fps faster than the 158s, that being about 950-1000fps (147s) and a very consistant 850fps (158s)

hope this helps...

Link Posted: 5/17/2015 9:54:10 PM EDT
[#18]
9mm on the cheap

Spin a barrel blank and chamber it

Stick it in an upper to hold it

9mm bolt with ramp

Put upper on a lower

Magblock to fill magwell opening and hold mag

Ammo for mag, and off we go

Link Posted: 5/18/2015 12:17:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
9mm on the cheap

9mm bolt with ramp

Put upper on a lower

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/capttoyota/media/9mmARapart.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/capttoyota/9mmARapart.jpg</a>
View Quote

Would have been cheaper, if you had milled your own magblock.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 12:34:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
9mm on the cheap

9mm bolt with ramp

Put upper on a lower

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/capttoyota/media/9mmARapart.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/capttoyota/9mmARapart.jpg</a>
View Quote

Who makes that magwell? Run good?
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 6:59:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
9mm on the cheap

9mm bolt with ramp

Put upper on a lower

VM Hytech.   Bought it in April 2003 from the first batch they made.   It use plain Uzi mags, was cut to fit the 25 round mags, some file work to the corners and the 32's would slide in.. plug and play, no adjust needed here

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 11:01:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So far I have...
9mm 7.5" barrel...$74
Mag block (promag)...$38

View Quote

Where can I buy the CMMG bolt for $151? Please let me know.

Thanks,
Cal
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 12:04:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Thanks,
Cal
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So far I have...
9mm 7.5" barrel...$74
Mag block (promag)...$38

Thanks,
Cal

eBay. They come from the same factory and appear to be the same. They look 95% exactly like each other.

MAHA
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:27:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Is the pistol kit from PSA worth it?  Its on sale now for $550 with free shipping.   I like the idea of getting everything but the lower recv in one kit, but if this is junk then maybe I pass on it and keep looking.  I did see the pict in another thread that had rust at the face of the chamber.  Makes me a little leery of it.  Thoughts?
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:26:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Is the pistol kit from PSA worth it?  Its on sale now for $550 with free shipping.   I like the idea of getting everything but the lower recv in one kit, but if this is junk then maybe I pass on it and keep looking.  I did see the pict in another thread that had rust at the face of the chamber.  Makes me a little leery of it.  Thoughts?
View Quote

8.5" 9mm Barrel from Ebay ~$85
CMMG Style Bolt from Ebay ~$160
AMM Arms Mag Block ~$90
1/2-36 YHM Phantom ~$30
ALG M Lok 8" Rail ~$120
Anderson Arms Sport Upper ~$45

Thats $530 bucks.

Add a HoloSun 403A for $170 and you will have a kick ass upper for a little more.

MAHA
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 7:42:03 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm not completely against piecing the kit out, but I would definitely prefer to buy from one place.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:53:12 AM EDT
[#27]
I have a PSA upper and one built as I listed before. The PSA is no where close in quality when compared side by side. I will do some photos later.

MAHA
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 3:02:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Got the muzzle device last night.

MAHA
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:06:28 PM EDT
[#29]
My stamp arrived

So tack on another 200$
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:57:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Ebay 9mm Barrel ~$100
Ebay 9mm Bolt ~$150 ($90.00 from PSA)
Anderson Sport Upper from AIM $40
10" ALG M lok Rail $120 Can probably find something cheaper (Cheap quad rail on ebay for $30.00.  You will need Yankee Hill spanner wrench)
Charging handle $15
MBUS Sight set $100 (Cheap aluminum MBUIS for $25.00 on Ebay)
Vortex Strike Fire $200 (Primary Arms Reddot for $70)
Lower of choice $50
LKP of choice $65
Pistol Buffer Tube W/ Buffer $40 (Cheap ebay tube with buffer $25.00)
AMM Mag Block $90

That is $900 for a pistol 9mm Build that includes a good rail optic and back up sights

MAHA
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:43:42 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

What stock is that?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 3:40:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

What stock is that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

What stock is that?

MFT Minimalist

MAHA
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:51:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I am going to do the cheapest 9mm build I can. What do you think it will cost me? It will just be a range toy so I figure what the heck, go cheap.
View Quote

Take a look at the ATN Areo Carbine about $579.00 complete.I got one in 45 APC I love it. they both take Glock mags. The 9mm and .40 can be both converted between each other easily with a bolt and bbl change, not so with the 45.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 4:00:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

What stock is that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

What stock is that?

What ^^^ he said.

MFT minimalist.  

Will be switching to a bumpfiresystems in fde very soon for a little bit more fun.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 2:08:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'm not completely against piecing the kit out, but I would definitely prefer to buy from one place.
View Quote

just add stripped lower.

pistol will be around 600 complete, carbine for $550

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-9-ar-47/ar-9/psa-10-5-9mm-sqr-7-pistol-kit.html
~http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-9-ar-47/ar-9/psa-16-9mm-1-10-melonite-moe-rifle-kit-no-magazine.html
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 11:01:02 PM EDT
[#36]
I've been piecing mine together slowly taking advantage of sales where I can. Mine so far:

Anderson receiver set from AIM - $80
PSA Pistol lower build kit - $63
Magpul K grip - $19
Upper parts kit - $15
Ebay 8.5" barrel - $75
Amm mag block - $90
PSA 9mm buffer - $15
Mas Defense ramped bolt - $130
A2 flashhider - $16
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top