Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/30/2015 1:52:12 PM EDT
So I broke down and ordered a QC 10 GSF lower today.  

Other components are pretty much up in the air as of yet.   I do know I'm probably going to go with a MCSR V2 9" rail for a monolithic look with a dedicated can.  I have one on a 300BO build and I really like the quality and the keymod is rubbing off on me.    Probably a barrel in the 7" range.  Probably a featureless upper.  I have a MAS Defense no FA, no port cover on a 11.5" 556 that seems okay but not locked into that.   I'm not planning on using a dedicated 9mm upper unless it just proves absolutely necessary

BCG, buffer, upper, barrel etc are TBD.     Barrel will be 1/2x28 threads so 1/2x36 are off the table.  I have a couple of Octanes (9 and 45) but I've got a titanium F1 build pending stamps that this will likely be the host for using a Griffin taper mount that I'll bore out to to make it work.

Will probably use an ALG trigger kit I replaced with a Giessele on another build and general LPK and UPK as needed, seems a shame to not use the parts I have laying around.

It'll be built as a pistol at first and I'll SBR it later, too much cash outflowing between making sure I beat 41P to the punch and just in general.

Any suggestions/recommendations for the parts list anyone might have I'm happy to listen to.  

Or honestly and more importantly any "FGS do not under any circumstances use XXXXXXXX", I hate wasting money on a build.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:18:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I used an aero precision M4E1 upper with an aero precision 9" rail (similar to MCSR). Using a cmmg 9mm bolt and standard FCG at the moment. Many people use the ACS magazines but my set up doesn't like them (colt pattern DDLES). I stick to metalform 32 rounders which can be had for $25 at palmetto state armory.

I understand the smooth look of a 9mm upper but used a standard upper to save cost and I would do the same again. I would look at the spikes 9mm buffer or slash 12oz 9Q buffer.  I use the heavier slash 9QT and run 100% suppressed but should you ever want to use a flash can vs suppresson the 9QT will likely be too heavy (I had a lot of malfunctions when I tried no supressor with it). I also use the Wolff xtra power spring which was widely recommended.

For barrels I would go with Adco. I'm using a tros because I wanted 3 lug but would've gone Adco if I wanted direct thread.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:07:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm going glock simply because I have an arse load of glock mags and the compatibility thing is a bullet point for me.  I'm aware that LSBHO may be problematic. it might work fine, it might require tweaking or it might such a PITA that I rip it out.  :)  But BHO is lower on the 'like to have' list for me than glock mag use.

I do want it to run 100% suppressed.   The only time I shoot unsuppressed is practical pistol drills, the lack of noise is just a godsend to my tinnitus.

I've seen the JP captured buffer and bolt mentioned a few times but that $500 buy in for the pair that are pretty unitasking is a bit of a sticking point for me.    I don't mind spending a bit more on a rail I like because I can move it to another platform without a problem.  But a 9mm only part has gotta be really worth the price point for me to pony up for it.

I'm sad that RA doesn't make 9mm barrels, I love their ultramatch barrels.  

The aero looks like a quality rail from their website.  one of the many things I like about the Seekins is the antirotate tabs and the aeros look to have them.   I'll add it to the list.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I used an aero precision M4E1 upper with an aero precision 9" rail (similar to MCSR). Using a cmmg 9mm bolt and standard FCG at the moment. Many people use the ACS magazines but my set up doesn't like them (colt pattern DDLES). I stick to metalform 32 rounders which can be had for $25 at palmetto state armory.

I understand the smooth look of a 9mm upper but used a standard upper to save cost and I would do the same again. I would look at the spikes 9mm buffer or slash 12oz 9Q buffer.  I use the heavier slash 9QT and run 100% suppressed but should you ever want to use a flash can vs suppresson the 9QT will likely be too heavy (I had a lot of malfunctions when I tried no supressor with it). I also use the Wolff xtra power spring which was widely recommended.

For barrels I would go with Adco. I'm using a tros because I wanted 3 lug but would've gone Adco if I wanted direct thread.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:19:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Completely missed the "GSF" in your first line.

I have been pleased with the aero m4e1 rail. Got it on a sale with free shipping.

Adco can do the needed glock bolt cut on a cmmg bolt if you go that route. Haven't used JP 9mm parts so can't comment but I will say I don't notice any annoying buffer/spring noise with my Wolff xtra power spring and slash 9QT buffer. Runs flawlessly with 115 and 147 gr
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:21:22 PM EDT
[#4]
The CMMG + 'glocking' is about on par in cost with the JP bolt which they seem really proud of the Gen 2.   Not really obvious if you 'have' to use the JP bolt with a JP spring system.  I'm sure they'd like to think so.

My initial thoughts on parting this thing out, happy to hear why anything is a 'horribly bad idea' or 'a waste of money' although I'm looking for a reliable build. Prices are ballparked for what it costs to the door, not the actual price on the page cost.

Uppers -

Mas Defense - slick sided $70

I see PSA makes a fully slick side upper now. $70

Anderson NOFA upper - $70  

I've been happy with the builds I've done based on PSA if not their delivery times so they're probably going to be my first choice.

Bolts -

So for bolt it seems like the more popular options are

QC10 - glock ready and ramped $220

CMMG which will need cutting for a glock for about... $230-$240 realistically with shipping and machining.

JP Bolt which is also about $240-$250 depending on shipping.

A slightly cheaper option -

Mas Defense which would need glocking - $180-$200

That $50 or so to get a bolt 'glocked' makes even the 'cheap' one more in the same ballpark as the high end ones.

CH - Don't have a lot of opinion here, I have all kinds at all price ranges and haven't had one fail me yet.   But should be ambidextrous as one of the uses will be HD which might require left side pie cutting.

A Raptor ambi is probably at the top of the list.  $90

A BCM might be on the list too but I like the raptor more but it's because I like the wing design better, it just has a manliness about it. $70

For Buffers the more popular options are -

JP captured buffer - About $150

Slash 9QT + wolf springs - About $150

cheaper option -

Spikes Tactical 9x comes up in from time to time and runs about $60 + $20 for springs so $80

Any other options in there that are worth mentioning? .I didn't see a lot others mentioned by name/brand etc when I did some searching.

Pistol Buffer tube - $30  (doesn't really matter, it'll just be a temporary thing until it's SBR'd at which point it'll get a carbine buffer and either a minimalist stock or a magpul STR)

Grip -

I'm pretty partial to Umbrella Corp M23's at the moment for builds designed to be fired while upright rather than prone.   I've tried a few and the M23's won out although I still have MOE's on my bench builds.

Barrel  (7-7.5") - A few decent barrels get kicked to the curb due to coming in 1/2x36.  Cutting and threading to get the right threading for my needs drives the cost up to where you might as well just get one ready to go it looks like.   For this build I don't need ultra match, it's a 9mm and 90% of it is going to be 147gr at 1050fps or as close as i can get it so its not like I'm going to try to ring the long distance plates with it.  Or not often.  But I also don't want a shotgun pattern at 50 yards.

QC10 - $180
Adco - $180

Any other good ones I'm missing? Short 9mm in 1/2x28 aren't as wide spread as I would have thought.

Rail -

Top contenders, to be in the running it has to have an ID of 1.75 or greater to allow for the 1.5" can I'm building to fit inside comfortably.  That eliminates a lot of good options.  Not a fan of the quad rails, i prefer adding rails where I need them and having it otherwise clean.

Seekins MCSR V2 9" $200
Aero Enhanced 9" $180

Sight/light -

Probably a PA holosun 503 or some variant of with instant on.  I'd prefer the DW and honestly myself in a real stress situation to just be able to pick it up and go and not have to worry about turning on the RDS.  Odds are the left hand will be dialing 911 and making that call while the right is holding the weapon so there's no free hand to turn the sight on.    I was thinking the inforce WML or WMLX although the tales of some of them burning through batteries in weeks while off are concerning but the company seems intent on making it right and just has people send int he light for repair. I assume a QC issue.

Some kind of tritium capsule based night sights, haven't really looked at the options for AR platform for this.  I assume there are a few options.

Missing anything critical?  Any stupid choices above?  Or just better ones in your experience?
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:30:37 PM EDT
[#5]
You'll need a 9mm bolt (NOT "BCG") that has been milled to clear a Glock magazine.  Some are made that way (Like the JP bolt), but make sure you know before you buy.

A lot of people insist that you "need" a heavy buffer with 9mm.  Not necessarily, as it depends on what you're shooting.  With your plans to suppress the gun, you probably will want one to help with the subsonic rounds, but read up on that specifically.  I don't have any cans (yet) so I can't contribute there.

Finding a 9mm AR barrel with a 1/2-28 thread isn't the easiest thing to do.  The 1/2-36 thread is INTENTIONALLY DIFFERENT from the 5.56mm standard 1/2-28 thread so some enthusiast doesn't accidentally put a .22 caliber muzzle device on his 9mm barrel and blow up his gun.  Have you decided on a barrel length yet?  A 10" barrel gets you plenty of performance out of stock ammunition (faster and more energy than from a 4" pistol barrel), but doesn't apparently mess with the performance of properly loaded subsonic rounds.  My 9mm SBR upper has a 10" barrel...

An ALG ACT will work fine with this setup.  I just put one in my own QC 10 GSF SBR since my Colt-style SBR runs everything very nicely with that trigger.  This choice eliminates my only "FGS don't get..."  Stay away from the dreaded "9mm hammer" by all means.  They are essentially useless.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:17:16 PM EDT
[#6]
QC10 has bolts and barrels. But check out www.maconarmory.com. Rudy will take care of you.

I'm partial to the "slick-side" upper on a PCC. the FA is useless anyway.

Post up build picks as you go.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:35:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks to PA's Mayday sale, the  BCM Gunfighter ambi charging handle with code GUNFIGHTER is $55 so a pretty good deal as long as I can pick up a few other things at the same time.  So it may win out.  Still flip flopping like a fish out of water.

A big problem is going to be reducing the number of 'stops' I make to get parts to avoid the shipping charges eating into the cost of the build.   If I part it out from 8 places It'll probably bump the costs of the build by somewhere between $80 and $120 in shipping charges alone.  

D'oh, I knew it was a bolt versus a bcg, bcg is just habit.

I would like fully slick side, no FA, no deflector.  A port cover I can take or leave although the slick sides I'm familiar with don't support a cover.

I've seen that people are pretty much two camps on the gas deflector on a pistol calibre build.  I'm of the 'man those are ugly' camp.  I'm a RH shooter so gas shouldn't be a constant issue and going to a heavy bolt/buffer appears to cut down on the amount of blowback that comes out the port?  

Barrel length I'm not 100% set on.  I just thought the 7-7.5" was a good compromise at OAL.   7" barrel + 7" can seems like it will make a fun sized build.   And let's be honest after you have your practical duty style builds out of the way the next ones we're building are based a lot on the answer to "Is it going to be cool?"    That's how my 300BO came to be, shooting 208 subs out of a 300BO with a can lands on the cool over practical for me.  But cool's sometimes enough.

The f1 I'm going to build for this build will be using a Griffin muzzle brake suppressor mount as the can mount so I have to have a barrel in 1/2x28 to support it.  And if I use an Octane on it I don't want to have buy yet another piston. :)
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:07:17 AM EDT
[#8]
It's a 40, but here's a slick-side example:

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:11:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You'll need a 9mm bolt (NOT "BCG") that has been milled to clear a Glock magazine.  Some are made that way (Like the JP bolt), but make sure you know before you buy.

A lot of people insist that you "need" a heavy buffer with 9mm.  Not necessarily, as it depends on what you're shooting.  With your plans to suppress the gun, you probably will want one to help with the subsonic rounds, but read up on that specifically.  I don't have any cans (yet) so I can't contribute there.

Finding a 9mm AR barrel with a 1/2-28 thread isn't the easiest thing to do.  The 1/2-36 thread is INTENTIONALLY DIFFERENT from the 5.56mm standard 1/2-28 thread so some enthusiast doesn't accidentally put a .22 caliber muzzle device on his 9mm barrel and blow up his gun.  Have you decided on a barrel length yet?  A 10" barrel gets you plenty of performance out of stock ammunition (faster and more energy than from a 4" pistol barrel), but doesn't apparently mess with the performance of properly loaded subsonic rounds.  My 9mm SBR upper has a 10" barrel...

An ALG ACT will work fine with this setup.  I just put one in my own QC 10 GSF SBR since my Colt-style SBR runs everything very nicely with that trigger.  This choice eliminates my only "FGS don't get..."  Stay away from the dreaded "9mm hammer" by all means.  They are essentially useless.

View Quote

So...how heavy should one go with 115gr, 124gr or 147gr?
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:19:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Suppressed or unsurpressed is going to be the real variable to consider.

Contact heavybuffers.com with your setup and he can give you suggestions.

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 11:08:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Suppressed.  Already got a bunch of buffers.  9QT with weights, Spikes 9mm, JP 9mm SCS.  Want GHPorter's opinion since he's got a bunch of experience.  My concern is putting unnecessary weight into the build....more weight savings IMO the better.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 11:33:14 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a QC10 Colt Receiver not Glock, but maybe close enough for my feedback to be relevant.  I experimented with Slash's 9QT buffer with the weight kit on my suppressed SBR.  I also tried this with a combination of different buffer springs.  With a Ti-RANT 9, if you use the most weight possible (about 12 3/4 oz) and the XP spring, the gun is the quietest because it seems like you get less pop out of the ejection port.  The gun cycles all weights I have tried (115, 124, 147) with no issues.  When I go unsuppressed, the gun cycles with 115 and 124gr ammo but has trouble with 147gr Remington UMC FMJ.  Funny, but AE 147gr, cycles fine.  To shoot up my stock of Remington UMC 147gr, I keep the buffer heavy but replace the Wolff XP buffer spring with a standard carbine buffer spring.  Gun runs fine like that.  It would also cycle ok if I took the buffer weight down to around 10oz if I kept the Wolff XP spring in.  It's easier to change out the spring so I keep the buffer heavy.  I agree with Goloud that heavy bolt and heavy buffer makes the gun a PITA to lug around with you in the woods, so I use a MFT minimalist stock which helps some.  I prefer a "quiet" SBR over lightness.

Don't know if that helps, but I experimented a lot to get where I am now... Happy camper.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 11:43:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Re: Seattlite

Roger that.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 12:51:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Parts Report as of.... 11:40 a.m. May 1st

All costs include shipping and any other ancillary costs.  After pricing the 'minimums' it's obvious a 9mm AR is not an initial cost effective solution in putting rounds down range.  But it's cost efficiency over time will add up, quite significantly if you shoot a lot just based on the ammo costs between 556 and 9mm.   But honestly this build is not about cost effectiveness. It's really a mid life crisis and cheaper than a convertible or a mistress.

Where parts were part of a single order shipping the shipping covers all the parts of the order -

QC 10 - $307  (Cost+shipping+FFL)

QuarterCircle 10 - Glock Small Frame Lower

PSA - $98 (Cost+Shipping)

PSA Slick Side Upper
PSA basic LPK w/o FCG  

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 8:58:14 AM EDT
[#15]

Parts Report as of.... 8:00 a.m. 5/2

All costs include shipping and any other ancillary costs.  

QC 10 - $307  (Cost+shipping+FFL)

PSA Slick Side Upper
PSA basic LPK w/o FCG  

Primary Arms - $350 (cost+shipping)

Seekins MCSR v2 9"    It won out simply because PA doesn't sell the aero which looks like a compariable product for a little less money but ordering from another vendor adds more shipping.
BCM Gunfighter Mod 44  - 20% made it a winner
Odin Works Pistol Buffer  -  I have a brace laying around doing nothing and this will let me use that better than a standard pistol buffer tube till I SBR the build.
Magpul K2 grip -  Compromised on the grip to save additional shipping charges from another vendor.  We need an ARmazon type store where you can get every vendors stuff under one virtual roof.

Still to go -

Bolt
Buffer
Barrel

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:25:06 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm interested in seeing your buffer and buffer spring choices. I have a JP 9mm SCS in my QC10 GSF build. I'm having problems with it not fully cycling. The smith says he may have to cut the spring down. We're waiting to hear back from JP.

Mine is suppressed all the time so I'm trying to get it running smooth with 147 gr subs.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 2:53:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Wow... I'd like to hear how that turns out.  I've not yet read anything bad about the JP 9mm, quite the contrary.   But I always wonder how often how much someone spends on something makes them see things in a rosier light than if they were given them.  :)  

What bolt are you running, a JP?

I do want 4 nines of reliability on this build.  

Quoted:
I'm interested in seeing your buffer and buffer spring choices. I have a JP 9mm SCS in my QC10 GSF build. I'm having problems with it not fully cycling. The smith says he may have to cut the spring down. We're waiting to hear back from JP.

Mine is suppressed all the time so I'm trying to get it running smooth with 147 gr subs.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 7:23:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What bolt are you running, a JP?
View Quote

Yep, JP bolt.

I chose the SCS precisely because of everyone's positive comments. I have them in other rifles and love them.

Pic btw.

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:52:02 AM EDT
[#19]
I have the JP bolt and SCS in mine that I run 100% suppressed with 147 grain. It's worked perfectly for me.

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:57:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have the JP bolt and SCS in mine that I run 100% suppressed with 147 grain. It's worked perfectly for me.

<a href="http://s217.photobucket.com/user/KYLiberty/media/367a4a81-4c30-4bd2-81fe-6cea4bd51ea9_zpsngucdmdx.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc250/KYLiberty/367a4a81-4c30-4bd2-81fe-6cea4bd51ea9_zpsngucdmdx.jpg</a>
View Quote

Love your setup.

Your JP bolt didn't have a center mass installed, correct? Are you using a standard carbine buffer tube?

OP - sorry for the hijack.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 11:26:24 AM EDT
[#21]
The JPBC-9MMA bolt carrier is designed to not need a central mass, so it is compatible with the JPSCS-9MM silent captured spring. The combo is a little pricey, but is definitely worth it in my opinion.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 1:33:53 PM EDT
[#22]
No worries on the hijack, all information / questions are useful to me. :)

So for the barrel I've got Adco and QC10 on the short list.   I'm about 51/49 in favor of QC10 since I would 'assume' that they have some idea of what works.    I know adco does good work as well.

Anyone have a strong argument against one or the other?   It'll either be Adco's 7" or QC's 7.xx"

Random question, anyone have any idea why QC makes a 7.25 and a 7.5 barrel?  I can't see 0.25" making a significant difference on anything.   Did they just mess up the crown on some 7.5's and cut them back and recrown them?  :)

Some googling and ballistics sims seems to indicate 7-8" is the max to go to somewhat reliably keep commercial 147 subsonic and get a little more out of 115's.   7" barrel + 7" can should make for a handy package.

You folks running the JP combo are you using the Gen 2?  It sounds like JP at some point came out with a G2 model of the bolt but I don't know the timeline, if it was years or days ago.

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 1:54:36 PM EDT
[#23]
I removed the wieght/mass on my CMMG 9mm bolt for use with the JP 9mm SCS. Works 100% with AE 147gr and also AE 124gr supressor ammo which is noticeable quieter than the AE 147gr.

So... For the folks that use the 9mm SCS did you guys remove your buffer retainer plunger?
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 2:25:43 PM EDT
[#24]
I can assure that ADCO "knows what works" with 9mm ARs.  There should be no difference between an upper for a Glock lower and an upper for a Colt upper.  I found that the 16" 9mm upper from my RRA 9mm carbine worked very nicely with my QC 10 Glock lower, and on my next range trip, I'll try out my 10.5" SBR upper on it - with the expectation that it will work flawlessly as well.

The 7.25" barrel is probably for "DOE" builds - there was a special Colt 9mm SMG with a 7.25" barrel that was built for Department of Energy nuclear facility security forces; it's a collectible (and expensive) upper to buy, but you can build one that's pretty close with the right barrel.

As far as I'm concerned, I'd go with either barrel and be happy with the result.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 5:19:17 PM EDT
[#25]
That's cool, I've seen mention of the DOE build here and there but never really knew what it was all about.  Nice that they're offering that then.  I'm not much of a collector, the only guy in the safe that never comes out to play anymore is a 1981 S.P.A.S bought NIB in 1983 by me with lawn mowing money.  It was a lot of lawns....  :)

If I haven't made up my mind by EOD tomorrow I'll just flip a flipping coin and let ya'll know.

Quoted:
I can assure that ADCO "knows what works" with 9mm ARs.  There should be no difference between an upper for a Glock lower and an upper for a Colt upper.  I found that the 16" 9mm upper from my RRA 9mm carbine worked very nicely with my QC 10 Glock lower, and on my next range trip, I'll try out my 10.5" SBR upper on it - with the expectation that it will work flawlessly as well.

The 7.25" barrel is probably for "DOE" builds - there was a special Colt 9mm SMG with a 7.25" barrel that was built for Department of Energy nuclear facility security forces; it's a collectible (and expensive) upper to buy, but you can build one that's pretty close with the right barrel.

As far as I'm concerned, I'd go with either barrel and be happy with the result.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 5:30:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Parts Report as of.... 3:00 p.m. 5/3

QC 10 - $307 (Cost+shipping+FFL)

PSA Slick Side Upper
PSA basic LPK w/o FCG

Seekins MCSR v2 9"
Odin Works Pistol Buffer
Magpul K2 grip

CTD - $127 (cost+shipping)

Glock OEM 33rd mags @ 4
I have a lot of G19/G17 mags but no 33 rounders

Parts Bin -
Calling these no cost since they're not being used although each one did cost money at one point.

Magpul Front/Back BUIS - $0
SIG Brace - $0
Magpul MSR sling = $0

Suppressor -

Form 1 Titanium 7" x 1.5" Model - SHTFCAN-9  (pending F1 approval) $250(ish)
Griffin Armament Muzzle Brake Taper - $100

Still to go -

Bolt
Buffer
Barrel
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:28:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Awww screw it.   $176 from Adco verus $194 from QC10.   Only $18 but every little bit helps.

Adco 7" 1/2x28 wins.  

--------
Parts Report as of.... 7:00 p.m. 5/3

PSA Slick Side Upper
PSA basic LPK w/o FCG

Seekins MCSR v2 9"
Odin Works Pistol Buffer
Magpul K2 grip

Glock OEM 33rd mags @ 4

Parts Bin -
Calling these no cost since they're not being used although each one did cost money at one point.

SIG Brace - $0
Magpul MSR sling = $0

Suppressor - $550 (F1+mount+materials)

Form 1 Titanium 7" x 1.5" Model - SHTFCAN-9  (pending F1 approval) $250(ish)

Adco - $176

7" 9mm Barrel

Still to go -

Bolt
Buffer

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:48:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Adco is a big fat phony...  

They explicitly say that shipment of 9mm barrels will take 3-5 days, presumably because they thread when the order is placed.

I put in an order at 7:00 p.m. yesterday for a 9mm barrel, on a Sunday.  And had a tracking number 11 hours later at 6:00 a.m. the next morning.    They're such liars!  3-5 days my ass!

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 2:17:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Parts Report as of.... 1:00 p.m. 5/6

PSA Slick Side Upper
PSA basic LPK w/o FCG

Seekins MCSR v2 9"
Odin Works Pistol Buffer
Magpul K2 grip

Glock OEM 33rd mags @ 4

Parts Bin -

SIG Brace - $0
Magpul MSR sling = $0

Form 1 Titanium 7" x 1.5" Model - SHTFCAN-9 (pending F1 approval) $250(ish)

Adco - $176

7" 9mm Barrel

Brownells - $380

JP SCS 9mm
JP 9mm Bolt

Parts are starting to show up -

Lower should be dropped off at the FFL today as well.

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 2:38:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Parts Report as of.... 1:00 p.m. 5/6

PSA Slick Side Upper
PSA basic LPK w/o FCG

Seekins MCSR v2 9"
Odin Works Pistol Buffer
Magpul K2 grip

Glock OEM 33rd mags @ 4

Parts Bin -

SIG Brace - $0
Magpul MSR sling = $0

Form 1 Titanium 7" x 1.5" Model - SHTFCAN-9 (pending F1 approval) $250(ish)

Adco - $176

7" 9mm Barrel

Brownells - $380

JP SCS 9mm
JP 9mm Bolt

Parts are starting to show up -

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g311/tophatman45/20150506_103355_zpsy7gvpve5.jpg

Lower should be dropped off at the FFL today as well.

View Quote

Don't you just love when the parts show up!! Quick question, which griffin muzzle brake did you go with, a 30cal?
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 4:51:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Be sure those magazines are actually GLOCK magazines and not "Asian military contract" magazines.  The Asian mags may work fine in pistols, but they don't play well with the QC 10/DDLES magazine catch.  Ask me how I know this...
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 5:35:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Be sure those magazines are actually GLOCK magazines and not "Asian military contract" magazines.  The Asian mags may work fine in pistols, but they don't play well with the QC 10/DDLES magazine catch.  Ask me how I know this...
View Quote

I agree with this, and I might have found out the same way that you found out
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 11:00:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Nice to see your build coming together!

Here's mine:

DDLES Lower

Quentin Defense Slick Side Billet Upper

TROS 5" 3-lug barrel

Seekins MCSRV2 10" rail

Liberty Mystic

JP Bolt

Slash's Buffer (from his prototyping days before he got into the business)

Magpul MOE Stock

Magpul MOE+ Grip

LWRCI Ambi Safety

ALG Defense Trigger Group

Link Posted: 5/7/2015 6:53:46 AM EDT
[#34]
They're stamped glock with the typical G logo in the usual spot and were sold as OEM Glock mags?  Do the knocks off come like that?  I'll be supremely pissed if these are fakes and don't work.  I have zero use for a 33 round magazine in my pistols.

Another couple of boxes arrived, this one from Primary Arms and a barrel from Adco.  My PSA box should show up today which has my upper and LPK and my lower was delivered last night to my FFL and I'll be picking that up this evening with any luck.

Barring catastrophe I'll be trying it out this weekend although I'll have to find the time to load up some 147's.  I have a couple of ammo cans of 9mm range but it's all 124gr and borderline supersonic in a 4" barrel so it's going to be all supers in a 7" barrel.

Not pictured is the Adco 7" barrel which showed late in the day via USPS.

Link Posted: 5/7/2015 7:10:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Still some odds and ends that need to be considered -

Sight wise all I have in the parts bins are a couple of TRS25's from the kids builds so I'm still debating what sight to pick up although still leaning toward the Holosun although I may put it off and see what comes out this spring.   Unless there's some good Memorial day sales.  

I was thinking the Noveske STS 60 degree ambi safety as a basic upgrade.  

Possibly a Tactical Link battery lever, I find I prefer those in terms of fit and design over the BAD levers and from I read somewhere it'll likely fit better on the QC10.    But I find myself really missing one of these type devices when I use a rifle without them and I've never had any issues with them.

Still waiting on my F1's to get approved so I built my can for this guy but I have a Octane I can put on it for now.

The Giffin mount I'm going to be using is the 556 version since I have to have 1/2x28 threads.   I'm just going to bore it out with a 3/8 or  7/16 bit to open it up somewhere between .375 and .43.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 3:01:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Got bored waiting on the lower (hopefully tomorrow) and put what I had handy in their respective locations, mostly just to make sure they came with all their parts so to speak.    The final can for this will be 1" shorter (7" OAL) than this 8" .308 can and titanium not SS.  Although given the wait time on F1's it'll have a Octane on it for another month.   SBR is probably 2-3 months out or worse.

Link Posted: 5/10/2015 9:20:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Got the last part yesterday and put it together last night.  Even though QC10 is nice enough to start the bolt release roll pin I marred the bolt release ears because they're sloped and my usual trick of using a pair of vise grips to squeeze the pin through slipped off the sloped surface scratching them.   :(  But I'll rattle can it and no one will ever notice.

This is the basics, a RDS is coming as is a WML.   I have a MSR V3 QD sling I'll put on it as well.   And I added a Noveske keymod grip stop on the end, leftovers from another build.    

It has an Octane on it at the moment till I get my stamps back but I PS'd the image to get the same final length. The Octane is 8.7" while the F1 is going to be 7".

SBR stamp is in the works.

I tested BHO and it worked with all the mags I tried out of the box, several G18, G19, G17 length mags.   That's hand cycling though so the jury is still deliberating.

While playing around with it I did discover that you cannot slow feed the bolt forward on loaded rounds, at least not JHP's.  As the round is stripped off it'll nose dive if the bolt goes slowly and jam against the barrel.   The problem disappears by just releasing the bolt with the bolt release where the round is pretty much catapulted straight into the barrel at an upward arc.

I'm guessing there's some interference fit between the 9mm bolt design that prevents a real feed ramp from being used?

The JP spring system has quite a lot of authority when it sends that bolt forward.

SHould have a range report in a week or two.  Whole area is flooded out at the moment with all the rain we've had and are having and forecast to have.  (Obviously I don't live out west...)

Link Posted: 5/10/2015 9:34:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Looks great!

My BHO doesn't work with any of my mags, but if that's the worst problem I have it's no big deal for me.

I used three different 33 rd Glock mags, two 17 rd Glock mags and one 50 round Korean drum.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 10:08:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Not a fan of the color of the Magpul grip.  FDE my ass, it's more like Salt Flat Sand.  ;)

Doesn't work at all?  I'm slightly concerned it won't work under fire even though it works by hand.

How old is your upper?  I thought I read somewhere they'd made tweaks to the BHO at some point to make it more reliable.  I"ve also read where some folks have tweaked the little flappy arm with a slight bend or something to increase reliability but not sure of exactly 'what' they did.

BHO was definitely a bullet point for me that kicked the QC 10 higher up the list than the Lone Wolf systems.   So I'm hoping it works.

I was giving Angst Arms  (sp?) the eye for awhile but decided to just go with a known product rather than wait for them to ship whenever they finally do and then wait for someone else to be the guinea on that particular purchase.

Quoted:
Looks great!

My BHO doesn't work with any of my mags, but if that's the worst problem I have it's no big deal for me.

I used three different 33 rd Glock mags, two 17 rd Glock mags and one 50 round Korean drum.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/15/2015 9:33:21 AM EDT
[#40]
So there's some feeding issues.  As it turns out QC10 cuts their ramp on their barrels differently specifically to make feeding from glock mags and their bolt has 'additional modifications' to make it work better with glock mags.

Of course they didn't have either in stock when I ordered so I went with Adco and JP.

They've also removed the feed ramp piece from their lower so the current shipping lowers will not have that feed ramp pinned to it like you'll see in a lot of images on the net.  QC10 told me that it just didn't do anything and in fact the rounds never touched it during high speed filming.

So I have a couple of options I guess. Live with it  or spend $400 for a QC 10 bolt and barrel combo when they come back in stock (assuming the JP SCS buffer will work with the QC10 bolt) and try to sell the JP bolt and barrel (which would work fine with a colt style 9mm) to recoup some of the loss.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 11:46:29 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
So there's some feeding issues.  As it turns out QC10 cuts their ramp on their barrels differently specifically to make feeding from glock mags and their bolt has 'additional modifications' to make it work better with glock mags.

Of course they didn't have either in stock when I ordered so I went with Adco and JP.

They've also removed the feed ramp piece from their lower so the current shipping lowers will not have that feed ramp pinned to it like you'll see in a lot of images on the net.  QC10 told me that it just didn't do anything and in fact the rounds never touched it during high speed filming.

So I have a couple of options I guess. Live with it  or spend $400 for a QC 10 bolt and barrel combo when they come back in stock (assuming the JP SCS buffer will work with the QC10 bolt) and try to sell the JP bolt and barrel (which would work fine with a colt style 9mm) to recoup some of the loss.
View Quote

My JP bolt works fine with the QC10 barrel. Instead of $400 for both maybe you can get away with just buying the QC10 barrel. Only you can decide.

That sucks by the way.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 1:30:42 PM EDT
[#42]
My QC10 GsF worked perfectly with my modified cmmg bolt, and eBay 7.5" barrel. Not a single malfunction. And I have a newer designed QC10 lower without the "feed ramp"
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 3:37:51 PM EDT
[#43]
I did decide to order a QC 10 with their style ramp.   I'll put the adco up for sale to recoup the cost to some extent and just take the hit on the discount I'll have to give on a 'used' barrel even though it's not had a round fired through it.

It's not that it doesn't function, it just doesn't function to my satisfaction.   If I shot nothing but RN and didn't reload it would be perfectly fine.  But I do want to shoot HP's specially the big backpile of 147gr HP's I have for subsonic plinking and those are whacking the barrel ramp pretty hard and the overall feeding is causing the brass to get mussed up.

I did get word from QC10 that their next bolt is going to be using an 'ar15/m16 style extractor' so if you're thinking of building haven't hopped off the fence yet then you may want to wait for it to show up 'soon'.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:27:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Doubling up on this post just in case for those interested in the results -

GOt the QC10 barrel installed this morning and the feeding is drastically improved in terms of wear and tear on the bullets and brass.   The 147gr Ranier HP's feed without a problem, no deformation at all on the mouth or sides.  THe brass comes out like it went in, no extra marks on it.   And no shavings of copper or brass visible at all in the mouth or chamber unlike the Adco barrel.

Even though I lost some money selling the adco to buy the qc10 I'm pretty happy with the end result.  

Bottom line if you're going to go with a glock lower from QC10 then I'd strongly advise you buy one of their barrels if you want the best possible feeding experience.  

The two barrels side by side.  You can see there is a significant difference in the profiling on the mouth and in all honesty the QC10 barrel shows a much better machine surface, you can see the tool marks on the Adco.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:35:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Macon Armory for reference. (40s&w)

Build looks great.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:48:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Here's a TROS 3-lug barrel. No issues in my DDLES lower, Quientin Defense Upper, JP Bolt Carrier:

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:34:17 PM EDT
[#47]
The Macon looks shallow at that angle?  Hows' it feed? And are you using a glock magazines?

The TROS looks a lot like the Adco at first glance (although the machining is better than the sample I got).

Torrential thunderstorms projected tonight through Tuesday so it may be yet another week before I get to go shoot mine.  :(  

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 2:29:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Okay mostly final image.  I don't like black guns so I tend to rattle can the ones I play with in a psuedo MC pattern and this one was no exception.   I always tape off every 'working part and seam' though so there's always black spots and lines but I started cutting the tape in the same shape as MC splotches so it's not 'so' bad.  I'll won't sacrifice function/reliability for frivolousness.  :)

Still to do is create the Ti can for this host, F1 still pending on that.   Swap out the butt ugly brace for a Minimalist stock, F1 still pending on that.  Times are going up pretty steeply on F1's.

I 'might' put a PA long eye relief 3x on it occasionally for playing with 100 yard steel and seeing how well it groups.

Not seen is a TLR on the far side that's positioned where I can activate it with my index or middle finger of my off hand with a normal grip.

But for now it's pretty much done, I learned some things along the way.

And if hte )*)U)!%&)*!%)(* weather would stop storming every weekend I might get to take it out and run it a bit.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 2:40:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Nice job on the paint. I like that pseudo-MC look.

The Macon bbl feeds fine. Yes, glock mags.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 7:35:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Alright, I need a JP bolt and SCS range report then. I bought this, but have yet to purchase a barrel. If anyone can throw a report to me with a QC10/DDLES (mine is DDLES and its SBR'd) this is a 2yr project and I just got those 2 in.

Are the barrels from QC10 a necessity?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top