Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/25/2015 3:42:07 PM EDT
I've had built for awhile now a 9mm AR SBR with a Hahn dedicated block, CMMG ramped BCG, and a CMC 3.5lb FCG installed.  I've been having issues when shooting every 3 or 4 rounds of light primer strikes on the cartridge resulting in a click and no boom.  Then I eject non-fired round next one chambers and 3 or 4 go off then click again.  Is the CMC trigger not compatible with my setup?  I have changed the firing pin and spring with no success.  Bolt face rest's even on end of barrel with a fresh 9mm round in the chamber.  Should I try and put a mil spec FCG in and see what happens?  Any help would be appreciated.  I've read a review on Brownell's that said CMC isn't compatible with a 9mm setup is this true?
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 3:53:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Softer primers (federal) or a heavier hammer spring
Will fix it most likley.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 3:57:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Will fix it most likley.
View Quote

Forgot to mention this occured when using S&B 115gr and Magtech 9mm 115gr ammo all brass cased.  Since this is a one unit aftermarket 3.5lb CMC trigger I don't think I can change the hammer spring.  I'm thinking I should put a mil spec ar15 FCG in and see what happens to rule out the FCG issue I think it is.  When the rounds don't go off, after I cycle the bolt to extract the un-fired round there is a dent in the primer but a faint one at that. Maybe the hammer isn't being locked back due to it's different size in comparison to a mil spec hammer?
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 3:59:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Will fix it most likley.
View Quote

I would suggest neither of those.
Try a mil spec trigger pack,
Quick question though
What buffer are you running? I ask as I might have a different remedy
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 3:59:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quick question though
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Will fix it most likley.

Quick question though

I'm using a standard Spike's buffer kit with a Spike's 9mm buffer.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:34:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Okay. I'm sure that buffer has extra length built in, that saves our bolt catches right. It looks a lot like a slash heavy buffer.
Take a standard carbine buffer, use one as heavy as you have. grab 8 quarters and drop them down your buffer tube. Install spring and carbine buffer.
Go give that a shot with your cmc trigger.
I have a feeling your not getting enough travel with the extra long buffer.

If that ends up working you could try shaving down the bumper on your spikes 9mm buffer.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 10:50:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Okay. I'm sure that buffer has extra length built in, that saves our bolt catches right. It looks a lot like a slash heavy buffer.
Take a standard carbine buffer, use one as heavy as you have. grab 8 quarters and drop them down your buffer tube. Install spring and carbine buffer.
Go give that a shot with your cmc trigger.
I have a feeling your not getting enough travel with the extra long buffer.

If that ends up working you could try shaving down the bumper on your spikes 9mm buffer.
View Quote

Never thought of that (will try on my next range trip), but how would you explain it happening after 3 or 4 rounds fire fine then the next round gets a light strike.  I used the quarter trick on my first 9mm build about 4 years ago with a T2 Spikes, then I got a Spike's 9mm buffer and it was solid all the time with a standard FCG after taking out the quarters.  I'll try the T2 with the quarters next range trip with the CMC.  If that's a no go then I'll pull the CMC out and swap for a standard AR FCG and see what happens.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:47:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll bet it's the lighter hammer spring in the CMC trigger pack that's giving you problems.  The hammer spring contributes to trigger pull weight, so really light triggers like the CMC will have lighter than standard hammer springs.  A stock FCG will almost certainly fix this for you.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:34:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'll bet it's the lighter hammer spring in the CMC trigger pack that's giving you problems.  The hammer spring contributes to trigger pull weight, so really light triggers like the CMC will have lighter than standard hammer springs.  A stock FCG will almost certainly fix this for you.
View Quote

Thanks I was thinking it was the CMC's hammer shape or the drop in itself.  When I hit up the range I'm gonna try the quarter trick for the hell of it, then replace the FCG if it fails to work.  Thanks gents.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 10:08:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I know it's been awhile since this topic was active, but I replaced the CMC with a mil-spec FCG and all is well no malfunctions or light strikes.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 6:54:31 PM EDT
[#10]
If you still would like to have a lighter trigger pull you could try a set of JP reduced power springs with a standard mil spec trigger. That's what I use in mine and it works well with factory rounds and reloads.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 7:12:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If you still would like to have a lighter trigger pull you could try a set of JP reduced power springs with a standard mil spec trigger. That's what I use in mine and it works well with factory rounds and reloads.
View Quote

I just might try that I have some spare springs from a Geissele SD3G trigger might try those out see how it runs.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top