Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2015 8:00:31 PM EDT
I built a dedicated .22 conversion upper a few years back before the last panic.   I went with the CMMG kit that included everything including one mag.   I think it was the Evolution "India" kit.   Came with the hard grey plastic CMMG mag.  I bought one spare.   After that mags became scarce.   At one time CMMG carried a newer style magazine but they do not show them on their website anymore.  Only the grey ones.

I would like to get a few more but wondered is there anything more or better than the CMMG mags?    I read another recent thread and the poster talked about the BDM X-form mags but seems they do not work with the Bolt Release?  Bolt Hold Back?  I would prefer some mags that work with the Bolt Hold Back and function like a normal AR magazine.   Other than a CMMG grey 25 round one that is.

So what are my options?    Oh and I would like some that are less than 25 rounds as well.   Easier to shoot from a bench.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:09:47 PM EDT
[#1]
BDM just had a sale. They had a wide variety available. Check to see if the sale (last week) is still on going. I have a mix but the bdm are the most consistent runners.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 11:43:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 4:57:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I used to use BDM mags for the CMMG conversion, then added the TACCOM? adapter and now run the S&W Magazines in it.  Much easier to load...
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:04:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I used to use BDM mags for the CMMG conversion, then added the TACCOM? adapter and now run the S&W Magazines in it.  Much easier to load...
View Quote

I cannot find a Taccom mag adapter.    At least don't see it listed in their site.  Do you mean the Redi-Mag version?
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:06:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I cannot find a Taccom mag adapter.    At least don't see it listed in their site.  Do you mean the Redi-Mag version?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oops, yes that's it. I have one and love it!
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:22:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotcha!  Just ordered that one.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 10:12:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoYvu_vjN_0
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 3:55:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got some Sig Sauer factory AR22 mags, they work in the cmmg conversions- same exact magazine, cheaper.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 8:00:55 AM EDT
[#9]
SW mags and better mag adapter. Flawless operation and easy to load..
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:06:47 PM EDT
[#10]
In my opinion there are only two options:
Black Dog Machine in any flavor---No bolt lock back feature--does hold bolt after last round but does not lock it.

S & W with a Boonie Packer adapter
https://www.redi-mag.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=52
Easy to load, adapter actually works and lock bolt back after last round.

Dave N
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:58:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a several kits, and the bettermag is awesome, but I aslo have about 20 of the blackdog steel lip mags. I'd Skip the cmmg mags, I had nothing but trouble from them in comparison. yMMV
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:38:56 PM EDT
[#12]
The only CMMG mags that are worth using are the original gray mags with green followers.

Dave N
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:58:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The only CMMG mags that are worth using are the original gray mags with green followers.

Dave N
View Quote

I've got the gray ones(2) with the Black Follower.  It's what came with my kit.  They seem to work okay for me.  Not perfect though.

Ready-mag in hand.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:16:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I've got the gray ones(2) with the Black Follower.  It's what came with my kit.  They seem to work okay for me.  Not perfect though.

Ready-mag in hand.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k124/FelixN/GandA/Better-Mag%20SampW_zpsvaz8nlqo.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dave N

Ready-mag in hand.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k124/FelixN/GandA/Better-Mag%20SampW_zpsvaz8nlqo.jpg

Good buy, I wouldn't be without mine.  The fact that it makes a 22 conversion function exactly like a standard 5.56 is worth the $, the fact that you now get to use the excellent and easy to load S&W mags is just icing on the cake.  I wound up buying some ten round S&W mags for mine for range use because of how long the 25 rounders are.  Any time those mags go on sale I buy some.  Cheap upgrade and money well spent
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 1:26:01 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't want to thread jack or anything but I wanted to mention my less than positive experience with the Boonie Packer Better Mag adapter.

When I put the adapter in my register receiver M16 with a CMMG dedicated .22 upper (with anti-bounce weight and trip), I can't even cycle the bolt because something is rubbing.

I was curious so I tried the S&W mags in my gun without the adapter and they work fine (but of course don't lock the bolt back).
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 4:33:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I don't want to thread jack or anything but I wanted to mention my less than positive experience with the Boonie Packer Better Mag adapter.

When I put the adapter in my register receiver M16 with a CMMG dedicated .22 upper (with anti-bounce weight and trip), I can't even cycle the bolt because something is rubbing.

I was curious so I tried the S&W mags in my gun without the adapter and they work fine (but of course don't lock the bolt back).
View Quote

Fuzz... ya gotta cut a relief in the boonie packer frame to give the trip room to move, they didn't design it for full auto use.

(not my pic)
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:48:44 AM EDT
[#17]
I'll give a "+1" for the Boonie-Packer/Redi-mag/Better Mag (I think they are all the same company, not sure why so many names ).
My CMMG upper was very unreliable even after installing the TACCOM reliability kit.
I put in the (insert favorite name here) adapter and with S&W mags it has been extremely reliable if not flawless.  The S&W mags are also easier to load since they have the gizmo that allows you to depress the spring.

I would absolutely recommend it.  Just better all around.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 10:42:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'll give a "+1" for the Boonie-Packer/Redi-mag/Better Mag (I think they are all the same company, not sure why so many names
View Quote

Boonie Packer is the company name
Redi-Mag is the product line/division name
Better-Mag/Better-Mag II is the product name
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 3:48:49 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Fuzz... ya gotta cut a relief in the boonie packer frame to give the trip room to move, they didn't design it for full auto use.

(not my pic)

http://i.imgur.com/a0nPJsS.jpg?1
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

(not my pic)

http://i.imgur.com/a0nPJsS.jpg?1

I figured it was rubbing somewhere but I didn't have time to mess with it.  Thanks for letting me know where it needs to be cut.

I don't have the adapter with me but in looking at this pics below of the uncut adapter, it looks like the areas I circled in green need to be notched, right?

Just curious how come in all of these full auto .22 threads, I don't recall noticing anyone mention cutting the adapter?

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top