Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/27/2015 11:20:59 AM EDT
Zre these 2 the best dedicated 22lr uppers?? Most accurate? most dependable??Should i piece together my own??..Really need input here..BTW..talking SBR
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:36:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Last weekend I assembled my TACCOM 4" barrel on an upper.   I used the collar that came with the barrel and an older Ciener conversion for the bolt.  I've only been plinking steel offhand with federal bulk pack in the backyard so far, so I can't give a good accuracy report, but I seems more than accurate enough for its intended purpose.

Reliability- I had 3 stoppages with the first magazine, after that I have had zero stoppages in the 10-15 mags I shot so far. So it was a very quick break-in.

Overall I'm very happy with the purchase.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:37:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I think both will work well for you. I use a 4.5 cmmg barrel and their bolt and charging handle with the taccom pressure plug and a bonnie packer 15-22 mag adapter and it runs flawlessly now.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:22:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Both companies make a great product.  

I would go with TACCOM over CMMG due to TIm and his willingness to go the extra mile to make sure something is right.  

MAHA
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:38:09 PM EDT
[#4]
You are looking at complete uppers I assume?   CMMG really has their stuff together.  

That being said, it really comes down to what you are shooting out of it:  115, 124, 147 gr?  For the heavier bullets you will want the 1 in 10 twist barrel and only a few make these:  ADCO, MAS, QC10, CMMG.  You will also want to stick with the 1/2x36 threading for the comp as most 9mm comps use this (which CMMG uses).  

You might also consider that a 147 gr bullet only gains about 10 fps per inch past a 6" barrel so you don't gain anything with a 9" of 11.5" barrel as for velocity.

Your accuracy will be a function of velocity but only to a point.  The 1 in 10 twist will stabilize the 147 gr bullet better.

If you are using 115 or 124 then all bets are off but the 147 gr bullet is easier to run subsonic for a can.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:56:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You are looking at complete uppers I assume?   CMMG really has their stuff together.  

That being said, it really comes down to what you are shooting out of it:  115, 124, 147 gr?  For the heavier bullets you will want the 1 in 10 twist barrel and only a few make these:  ADCO, MAS, QC10, CMMG.  You will also want to stick with the 1/2x36 threading for the comp as most 9mm comps use this (which CMMG uses).  

You might also consider that a 147 gr bullet only gains about 10 fps per inch past a 6" barrel so you don't gain anything with a 9" of 11.5" barrel as for velocity.

Your accuracy will be a function of velocity but only to a point.  The 1 in 10 twist will stabilize the 147 gr bullet better.

If you are using 115 or 124 then all bets are off but the 147 gr bullet is easier to run subsonic for a can.
View Quote

He is talking .22 not 9mm
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:11:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Both Companies are very good. I've done a lot of shooting of the CMMG's and some shooting for TACCAM.
It depends on which one will get your approval. CMMG is more is a bigger company but Tim can hold his
own. Toss a coin when in doubt.

Dave
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:57:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Pretty much a toss up. Both great companies with great service..

We have two pretty much custom uppers. Both have Stainless CMMG Bolts. One has a standard CMMG barrel and one has the Taccom barrel. Both run 100% with the SW MP 15-22 mags and the better mag adapter. Both barrels are standard length however. We really like the Taccom ULW barrel alot. Not saying there is anything wrong with the CMMG barrel though.  The ULW is just really light ans has good accuracy. A slight edge over a standard CMMG one maybe.

I do not own a Taccom Bolt but have heard good things about them. I just prefer the stainless bolts VS coated though..Have the taccom firing pin in one upper and it seems to be really nice.

I would suggest you build the upper rather than buy. That way it is built to your personal tastes cosmetic wise. You buy a complete assembled one and you are likely to change things out anyway..
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:58:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Sorry double post.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 3:08:53 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ohhh...  I missed the "22lr", my bad.

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top