BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/26/2015 11:50:05 PM EDT
Anyone make one?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:10:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Never seen one but I think it would be too wide for spec lower.  A double-column Glock 9mm magazine is wider than an AR mag and the AR magwell narrows as it nears the action.  Maybe if Glock develops a high-capacity mag  for the 43
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:32:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I didn't think so but had to ask. Thanks
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:51:45 PM EDT
[#3]
They have been made, but they are clunky, hard to get set up properly, and finicky.  A Glock magazine-specific lower, on the other hand, is built to get around all those issues.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 4:31:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They have been made, but they are clunky, hard to get set up properly, and finicky.  A Glock magazine-specific lower, on the other hand, is built to get around all those issues.
View Quote

yeah, but then anoher tax stamp, FCG etc...

Can not a guy have his lower opened up to accept the mags?  

does the mag block work so that the it can't fall out w/o seperating the receivers??
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 7:56:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Like I said, it didn't work well.  The problem is the angle of the magazine.  It doesn't leave a lot of room in front or behind the mag in a standard magewll.

I understand the frustration.  I'm waiting for the stamp for my QC 10 GSF lower right now.  But it's the only functional way to use Glock magazines in an AR without putting up with essentially having to have a fixed magazine - or worse.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:14:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Start with a forging and mill the magwell
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 10:17:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

lol, I'll get right on that
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:05:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why lol. easy.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:07:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I have been working on designs for magazine adapters for pistol magazines. I've made prototypes for several magazines including Glock.

To do the Glock you must use a design that has a 2 part block that is screwed in from the side. This design requires drilling 4 holes through the right side of the lower and grinding off the raised guard around the magazine release. It works quite well.

Because I believe few people will be willing to make these modifications I have switched to working on a different design. This design is for a removable magazine block that does norequire modifications to the lower.  But it won't work with Glocks.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 11:37:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the input. I went ahead and ordered a QC10 glock lower and bolt with barrel. My next question is can I use a geissele trigger with this set up? I am also interested in finding a side charging upper.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 1:11:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have been working on designs for magazine adapters for pistol magazines. I've made prototypes for several magazines including Glock.

To do the Glock you must use a design that has a 2 part block that is screwed in from the side. This design requires drilling 4 holes through the right side of the lower and grinding off the raised guard around the magazine release. It works quite well.

Because I believe few people will be willing to make these modifications I have switched to working on a different design. This design is for a removable magazine block that does norequire modifications to the lower.  But it won't work with Glocks.
View Quote

I'm interested. PM Sent.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 3:06:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

are you the guy w/ the youtube video doing mag dump after mag dump w/ glock mags in  a rife w/ a custom made glock mag adapter??
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 10:08:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Congratulations on your success.  I agree that not a lot of people would want to essentially permanently modify a standard lower just to use Glock magazines, even though a lot of us have bought whole Glock-specific lowers to build guns on.  
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 11:08:17 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't have any conversion kits ready for sale. When Quarter Circle 10 brought back the DDLES design, I decided to go to everything but Glock.  I made prototypes for S&W M&P, Sig 226/228, CZ-75, 92fs and PT-92.  I was working on an initial small production run.  Then it just hit me that outside of the hard core build it yourself group on this site, few people would be willing to permanently modify a lower. I've got some parts and could build the missing parts plus drilling jigs if there is enough interest.

Now I'm working on a design for a drop in magazine block.  So far, I've made prototypes for Sig 226/228 and CZ-75.  I'm sure I can do S&W M&P, 92fs and PT-92. I can probably do the XD, XDM, Walther PPQ M1/P-99 and Walther PPQ M2/Canik TP9. The magazine catch hole on that last group is located very high up near the feed ramp, so space is tight.  I cannot do the Glock with this design because the magazine is so thick that there is no room for the sidewalks.

I'm not the guy in the youtube videos. Can someone post a link?

First Prototype:

Here is a link to an archived thread I started a year ago.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 12:39:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

This fucking guy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEk8-8nBtxY

says its a standard lower w/ a DIY glock mag adapter & it seems to use standard mag release system, and it runs great.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 11:01:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This fucking guy:

says its a standard lower w/ a DIY glock mag adapter & it seems to use standard mag release system, and it runs great.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This fucking guy:

Really guy????
Does it really "run" great. You watched him insert and release a mag. That's it. Unless he has other videos sending rounds down range. This is far from "running great"
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 11:52:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Really guy????
Does it really "run" great. You watched him insert and release a mag. That's it. Unless he has other videos sending rounds down range. This is far from "running great"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This fucking guy:

Really guy????

when I watch that vid it automacally ques through four more videos of him dumping four different mags.  I guess look for the subsequent videos in the side bar.

thinking about it, I suspect he has cut notches in the glock mags to work w/ the AR mag release??
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 1:15:27 PM EDT
[#18]
That's interesting. I will have to look when I get more time.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 7:22:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

when I watch that vid it automacally ques through four more videos of him dumping four different mags.  I guess look for the subsequent videos in the side bar.

thinking about it, I suspect he has cut notches in the glock mags to work w/ the AR mag release??
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This fucking guy:

Really guy????

I think the same. The only way to use the stock bolt catch is to cut a slot

If you have to notch the magazine, you really haven't got an adapter that uses Glock magazines. It uses special Glock compatible magazines. You can't buy these online or at store or borrow one from a friend. You need to make them.

Also modifying your magazines would cut the resale value by 1/3 or 1/2. So if you have 6 $25 magazines, cutting slots reduces the value by up to $75 or about the same as an Anderson lower plus shipping and a transfer fee.

Link Posted: 4/8/2015 2:21:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Who cares what the resale value of pistol mags is?  LIke there would ever be a reason to part w/ your pile of glock mags.

secondly, sure it is less than ideal oto have to diy mod mags, but it would be a solution to the problem of being able to make the same mags in your pistol & rifle.  The mags would still work in your handgun just fine.  How hard is it to mod a handful of mags for this purpose?  

Link Posted: 4/15/2015 4:35:49 AM EDT
[#21]
No problems here in Holland.
Works perfect

Link Posted: 4/15/2015 9:20:23 AM EDT
[#22]

Details, please?
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 10:03:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Who cares what the resale value of pistol mags is?  LIke there would ever be a reason to part w/ your pile of glock mags.

secondly, sure it is less than ideal oto have to diy mod mags, but it would be a solution to the problem of being able to make the same mags in your pistol & rifle.  The mags would still work in your handgun just fine. How hard is it to mod a handful of mags for this purpose?  

View Quote

During the decade of Darkness we'd modify Beretta mags for the HS2000 (now XD) I'd use S&W mags with a cut higher up for use in the Walther P99.

Link Posted: 4/15/2015 10:05:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I don't have any conversion kits ready for sale. When Quarter Circle 10 brought back the DDLES design, I decided to go to everything but Glock.  I made prototypes for S&W M&P, Sig 226/228, CZ-75, 92fs and PT-92.  I was working on an initial small production run.  Then it just hit me that outside of the hard core build it yourself group on this site, few people would be willing to permanently modify a lower. I've got some parts and could build the missing parts plus drilling jigs if there is enough interest.

Now I'm working on a design for a drop in magazine block.  So far, I've made prototypes for Sig 226/228 and CZ-75.  I'm sure I can do S&W M&P, 92fs and PT-92. I can probably do the XD, XDM, Walther PPQ M1/P-99 and Walther PPQ M2/Canik TP9. The magazine catch hole on that last group is located very high up near the feed ramp, so space is tight.  I cannot do the Glock with this design because the magazine is so thick that there is no room for the sidewalks.

First Prototype:
http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j353/gsangermano/Gun%20stuff/CloseUp_zps795d346d.jpg

Here is a link to an archived thread I started a year ago.
View Quote

Something like your idea would be perfect in a polymer or 80% build.

Having access to a 3D printer would be beneficial.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 10:29:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Details, please?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Details, please?

Looks like a Quentin defense lower. Re branded. Cant read the name of mfg
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 10:49:17 AM EDT
[#26]
this does not look like a standard lower to me.  looks special milled
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 12:58:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Details, please?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Details, please?

Standard billet lower.
Top drop in magblock.
Uses a bold made specialy for this magblok and Glock mags.
All these parts are made by my gunsmith here in Holland.
Google verdoes techniek.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:30:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Standard billet lower.
Top drop in magblock.
Google verdoes techniek.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Details, please?

Standard billet lower.
Top drop in magblock.
Google verdoes techniek.

That mag block seems to work nicely.  I'll have to look up your gunsmith; he seems to do good work.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 1:51:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Standard billet lower.
Top drop in magblock.
Google verdoes techniek.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Details, please?

Standard billet lower.
Top drop in magblock.
Google verdoes techniek.

Is it blowback or gas operated?

If it was legal for him to export & us to import would he ship?  Were there modifications to the magazines required?  Does it use the regular magazine release?

OR....OR...is this thing 3D plastic printable????
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 6:10:50 AM EDT
[#30]
It's blowback.
The standard mag release can be used when mags are modified.
He also makes a mag release to use the unmodified mag.
Ex and import should not be a problem I think but better get in contact with him.
Use google to get to his website verdoes techniek amsterdam.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 3:20:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
It's blowback.
Ex and import should not be a problem I think but better get in contact with him.
View Quote

I found his site & sent an email.  We will see if he understands merican.

Couple more questions:
1. do empty magaziness drop free when the release is depressed?
2. if the mags are modified to work with the AR magazine release, do they still work in the Glock as usual?
3. Does it just use a normal colt bolt with the "Glock Cut" or is it even more proprietary?  
4. Is the barrel or feed ramp or anything of a proprietary sort or is it the standard Colt 9mm type set up?
5. does the block fit between a standard lower and upper or is that upper cut special for it somehow too?

I do not suppose there is any last round bolt hold open feature, not that it woudl be a deal breaker for me.

If these things actually work, I can see this maybe being a group buy, as expensive as internatinoal can be...

Sir, do you have a link to you or whoever shooting this?
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 7:58:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Standing by for the reply on this...
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:23:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Couple more questions:
2. if the mags are modified to work with the AR magazine release, do they still work in the Glock as usual?
3. Does it just use a normal colt bolt with the "Glock Cut" or is it even more proprietary?  
4. Is the barrel or feed ramp or anything of a proprietary sort or is it the standard Colt 9mm type set up?
5. does the block fit between a standard lower and upper or is that upper cut special for it somehow too?

I do not suppose there is any last round bolt hold open feature, not that it woudl be a deal breaker for me.

If these things actually work, I can see this maybe being a group buy, as expensive as internatinoal can be...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's blowback.

Couple more questions:

The mags drop free nicely and do still work with the glock pistol.
There has to be made a small cut into the body of the mag to catch the magcatch.
The bold is specialy made for use with this magblock.
The magblock will fit standard lowers and no modifications need to be made to the upper to fit this magblock.
About the barrel you will have to ask Ton, for I don't know.
The pictured rifle is from a friend of mine and he uses it for dynamic service rifle.
This is a contest here in holland that looks like IPSC but we can't change positions without unloading the rifle.
The side charger is verry effective for this but the magblock will work with a standard charging handle.
I got a small video of me putting a few rounds of quickly but have to look for it.
Ton is a very busy guy, so it may take some time before he will reply.
Don't let that scare you away, the end result is pretty
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 7:34:33 PM EDT
[#34]
I swear that if these things work there will be hundreds of arfcom leg humpers  saying they want a block (and the bolt if he cannot just provide instructions for modding the Colt bolt), and a dozen or so that will actually put the money up for it .  But I still see group buy potential.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:09:31 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm in
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 10:02:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 12:05:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I swear that if these things work there will be hundreds of arfcom leg humpers  saying they want a block (and the bolt if he cannot just provide instructions for modding the Colt bolt), and a dozen or so that will actually put the money up for it .  But I still see group buy potential.
View Quote

My feed back says differently, No tire kicker here.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 10:50:37 PM EDT
[#38]
well, I haven't heard from him yet, I looked in my junk mail folder too
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 11:29:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Maybe your e-m ended up in his junk folder. I'm talking to a guy with a 3d printer seeing if he'll print out 2 or 3 AR magwell blocks for me to mess with.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 3:09:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

I will give him a call and ask him if he can make some time to reply.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:01:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Talked to Ton today and I have some excuses to make.
With a top magblock there has to be made a smal alternation to the upper to make it fit.
This can be done with a dremel but a gunsmith will do this on a lath
The barrel has a feedramp unlike the Colt style so a working set will have the magblock, a bold and a barrel
At this moment he's rebuilding his shop and therefor hasn't had time to check his mailbox
I asked him if he could make the block work with Colt style barrels and he told me he could make it work but then the magblock will be in two parts.
These have to be pinned to the lower in that case
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 10:45:34 AM EDT
[#42]
thank you sir.

well, if the block was not drop in, a guy may as well just buy a dedicated lower for glock mags it seems to me.  

I would still be interestsed in getting the one piece drop in block, the bolt & the barrel, though I fear this could get expensive.  

I would NOT be afraid to dremmel a little on an upper to make this work, that is no big deal.

No hurry, maybe we will here from him about cost & availibility in sets or a small quantity of sets in a month or two.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 12:16:38 AM EDT
[#43]
My brother and I have been working on a design the past couple of weeks.

It is still a CAD design, but so far we have:

Removable mag block
Ability to use Glock mags
HK style mag release
No need for specific Glock bolt, standard 9mm will work

We have access to a 3d printer. We will be testing designs in the coming weeks. The easy part is getting a mag in at the angle we want, right height, etc.

hard part is the mag release, which we have finally found a design that will work.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 8:27:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Joshv06...

Standing by waiting for further...sounds interesting!!!
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 11:51:56 AM EDT
[#45]
Looking at the 3D model.  Don't see any way to use the existing mag release without using a modified magazine since the mag catch on the Glock mag is on the front.  But.. the HK style with the mag release under the trigger guard that connects to a pivoting flat plate that slides along the side of the mag well  and wraps around the front to catch the could work. There isn't a lot of room to work with though only 0.0177" of clearance between the magazine and that recessed portion of the right side wall.  Throw in tolerance and you are talking about a pretty thin mag release part.  Maybe you could offset the magazine to one side?  Would that totalle screw up feeding?  You could put the magazine release in front of the magazine instead of behind it but then you need two hands to release the mag.  Need to find a model of a Glock magazine with the magazine catch.

Link Posted: 5/8/2015 1:07:32 PM EDT
[#46]
franky fun's videos:

franky fun's 1st video

You can see where he cut the Glock mag for the AR mag release.

Our future friend in the Netherlands

Quoted:  My brother and I have been working on a design the past couple of weeks.

It is still a CAD design, but so far we have:

Removable mag block
Ability to use Glock mags
HK style mag release
No need for specific Glock bolt, standard 9mm will work

We have access to a 3d printer. We will be testing designs in the coming weeks. The easy part is getting a mag in at the angle we want, right height, etc.

hard part is the mag release, which we have finally found a design that will work.
View Quote

I guess my question is how does a standard Colt bolt, designed to feed from a double-column magazine, feed from the single feed lips of the Glock magazine?

The holy grail would be:

AR magwell compatible.
No modification to the lower & upper, other than the bolt.
Easily removable, whether by shotgunning the upper, hitting the mag release (not preferred), or undoing a latch or adjustment screw on the bottom of the mag block.
9mm/.40"/.357"/.45" GAP Glock mags, preferably unmodified.  If we have to make a small cut, that doesn't affect function in a Glock, we can live w/ that.
Standard Colt style or Olympic style bolt, but I'm betting the Colt will have to be cut to feed from the single cartridge feed lips, as is done for the Circle 10 & Lone Wolf.  Olympic may already be single feed, as I believe they use modified STEN mags.
Standard AR mag release location, which is probably not possible w/o cutting into the mags or the lower, as GKS452 did.  I suppose it would be possible to use the existing AR mag release to activate a micro-switch, which would electrically drop the magazine, but you'd need a battery compartment hanging out the bottom of the magwell.  OR - you'd need a lever arm rising up from the bottom half of the mag block, the portion that is outside of the AR magwell, that is activated by the AR mag latch and thus drops the Glock mag.  Probably too complex.
Absent that, a magazine release on the bottom of the magwell, either front or rear of the magazine, whichever demands less modification.
A working bolt hold open, but given that the Circle 10 is finicky, and Lone Wolf skipped it altogether, not absolutely necessary.
It doesn't have to fit INSIDE the magwell - it can bleed out the bottom, as long as the bottom of the Glock magwell can still take the compact 10 round mags drop free.  So there's no need for a 2 part block front and back - if anything, it's a 2 part block top and bottom, one part that drops into the AR magwell when the upper is shotgunned, and the bottom part snaps/latches into that, and hangs out the bottom of the AR magwell.  To remove, shotgun the upper, hit the latch, remove the bottom part, then pull the top part out.

This is an Uzi magazine adapter that sadly is no longer made:

The mag release is well outside the AR magwell.  You have as much space as you need BELOW the AR magwell to run magazine release levers, and connect to the top part of the block that dropped in to the top of the magwell.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 2:29:28 PM EDT
[#47]
I think cutting the glock mags to work w/ the standard mag release is the best possible solution.  The drawback is you have to mod the mags but hte benefit of the manual of arms being the same way outweighs it IMO.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 3:10:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:  I think cutting the glock mags to work w/ the standard mag release is the best possible solution.  The drawback is you have to mod the mags but hte benefit of the manual of arms being the same way outweighs it IMO.
View Quote

As long as we don't run into reliability problems down the road.  I imagine if there was a mag block standardized that became popular enough, MagPul would sell the mags w/ the slot already cut.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top