Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/28/2015 11:21:12 PM EDT
I have no clue about a .22LR AR. I have read a bunch and Taccom and CMMG come up. the conversions don't look like a good way? I have a lower, upper rec (AR stuff) that I want to use I have alot of parts just nothing .22
I found a Barrel for 104.00 on sale. (comes with barrel collar) seems like a good place to start. Mags,and bolts n stuff I have no clue about.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:38:07 PM EDT
[#1]
conversion bolt and dedicated bolt are the same.  You just remove the 5.56/.223 chamber adapter and snap on the collar.

Do you plan on eventually making a short barrel rifle or using a suppressor?  If so, I'd just use a short barrel and no buttstock til you got a stamp.

If you plan on just keeping 16", a Smith and Wesson M&P15-22 would be a better choice.  Probably as cheap as just building a dedicated upper.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:52:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I didn't know that about the conversion/dedicated working that way.  Wanting to do a 16" for now. M&P15-22 these are good?
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:57:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I didn't know that about the conversion/dedicated working that way.  Wanting to do a 16" for now. M&P15-22 these are good?
View Quote

Yes, very reliable and popular.

They usually go for around $400-450?  I think they've been on sale for as low as $350 somewhere, but don't quote me on that.  So, around the same price as a dedicated upper, but you will have a new rifle and can keep your other lower for something else.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:02:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I have the same Taccom barrel, runs great with good accuracy(like a stock 10/22 with bulk ammo@50yds). For the bolt go with Taccom as well, fair price for what you get and the cheap Ceiner bolts from CDNN like I'm using are gone. For mags I use a mix of black dog machine polymer and stainless feed lip'd 15 and 26 round mags, 14 in all. All feed without issue but keep in mind your building a Mutt gun so to speak as did I.. your experience may vary. The only mag I have that does not run is CMMG, keep in mind this is a sample of ONE..

My other parttime 22 AR is a conversion. Ceiner bolt and chamber adaptor in a 1/7 5.56 7.5 inch barrel. This set up runs as good as the dedicated but lesser accuracy, figure MOSC(minute of soda can)@25yds. Same mags as well.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:19:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have the same Taccom barrel, runs great with good accuracy(like a stock 10/22 with bulk ammo@50yds). For the bolt go with Taccom as well, fair price for what you get and the cheap Ceiner bolts from CDNN like I'm using are gone. For mags I use a mix of black dog machine polymer and stainless feed lip'd 15 and 26 round mags, 14 in all. All feed without issue but keep in mind your building a Mutt gun so to speak as did I.. your experience may vary. The only mag I have that does not run is CMMG, keep in mind this is a sample of ONE..

My other parttime 22 AR is a conversion. Ceiner bolt and chamber adaptor in a 1/7 5.56 7.5 inch barrel. This set up runs as good as the dedicated but lesser accuracy, figure MOSC(minute of soda can)@25yds. Same mags as well.
View Quote

I'm guessing these Ceiner bolts were good bolts no longer available?  next question do these not use a gas system? and the mags I will get a few before I to see what works before I start the Hoard.
ETA I think I found the answer. blowback
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:38:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'm guessing these Ceiner bolts were good bolts no longer available?  next question do these not use a gas system? and the mags I will get a few before I to see what works before I start the Hoard.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Ceiner bolts are still available but not at $69. Yes, Blowback. One of several advantages of the dedicated barrel is the lack of gas port and crap blowing back into the upper and your face!
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:49:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have no clue about a .22LR AR. I have read a bunch and Taccom and CMMG come up. the conversions don't look like a good way? I have a lower, upper rec (AR stuff) that I want to use I have alot of parts just nothing .22
I found a Barrel for 104.00 on sale. (comes with barrel collar) seems like a good place to start. Mags,and bolts n stuff I have no clue about.
View Quote

If you want a very nice upper without having to build it, I would go with a Tactical solutions upper or full AR22 from them, they have some new Bad ass uppers and AR22s out for this year, with there own keymod rails on them, im thinking about getting one of there new Kestrel short barrel pistol uppers when I can afford it lol, they list them on there web site for 695, but I found them for 605 on the web, I am building a dedicated 16 inch 22LR upper this weekend and after it was all said and done I spent just over 900 bucks on it, but that's to be expected when ur building a  Seekins AR22 upper using a irmt-3 upper and rail, with spikes and Taccom parts, once I slap the seekins billet lower on it its gonna be one BAD ASS Seekins 22LR, I have another Seekins billet lower I want to use for the pistol upper in the future........
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:16:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If you want a very nice upper without having to build it, I would go with a Tactical solutions upper or full AR22 from them, they have some new Bad ass uppers and AR22s out for this year, with there own keymod rails on them, im thinking about getting one of there new Kestrel short barrel pistol uppers when I can afford it lol, they list them on there web site for 695, but I found them for 605 on the web, I am building a dedicated 16 inch 22LR upper this weekend and after it was all said and done I spent just over 900 bucks on it, but that's to be expected when ur building a  Seekins AR22 upper using a irmt-3 upper and rail, with spikes and Taccom parts, once I slap the seekins billet lower on it its gonna be one BAD ASS Seekins 22LR, I have another Seekins billet lower I want to use for the pistol upper in the future........
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought the barrel at 104 shipped. I only need the bolt and some mags. trying to go cheap using the parts I already have, upper n stuff. I will check them out. thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:33:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Black Dog Machine is still having their 50% sale.  Pick up mags from them.  For a bolt I would wait till Tim gets them back in stock.  

MAHA
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:37:02 PM EDT
[#10]
We use MP 15-22 mags and the better mag adapter in our two dedicated uppers..The SW 15-22 mags are great. With the adapter you get last shot hold open.

We run stainless CMMG bolts with the SW mags and adapter..They both run flawless using this setup.  The last shot hold open is really nice to have. If you run Black Dog mags you will not have last shot hold open. Black Dogs are very good mags otherwise though. I like their 50 round drums especially..
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:40:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the heads up on the sale. can you use the Black dogs if you run the adapter? making it able to use both mags just not having BHO on the Black dog mags. or once you put in the adapter are you only going to be able to use SW. my biggest fear was the mags but it seems like people are having good luck and they are not a problem if you get the right stuff. thanks guys. should have the barrel today.
ETA figured out the Mags
adapter=SW
No adapter= Black dogs
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:34:30 AM EDT
[#12]
That is the one down side to the black dog no BHO. You can take a CMMG BhO adapter and run it in your gun so you can manually lock the bolt back. CMMG discontinued the BHO so if you want to go that route I would find one quickly. It will take a little modifications to make it work with a TACCOM bolt and the black dog mags. But all are easily done.

MAHA
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:39:26 AM EDT
[#13]
I was thinking forget all the Mutt parts, buy a cmmg upper with the better mag and use S&W mags and be done. the uppers seem expensive but may save $ and headaches in the long run.
plus I like the FSP on the uppers. I'm thinking I will end up shooting this more than my .223 guns with the new and improved panic levels. I have a nice Hoard of 22LR
ETA just ordered cmmg conversion stainless bravo bolt stuff.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top