Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2015 7:53:54 PM EDT
Hello I just pulled the trigger on SBRing my lower and would like to cut down my Olympic 45acp barrel.  I'm looking for a good place to get my barrel cut and threàd for my Suppressor.  The barrel is super thick between the reciever and the front sight.  Is there a reason for this?  Can it be turned down to reduce weight??  

I also have a A2 upper reciever and would love to find a flat top reciever but can't find one anywhere!!!

Thanks

Eddie
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:02:04 PM EDT
[#1]
THIS I know about!  I did the same thing to my Oly .45 upper.  I sent mine to ADCO.  I had them cut it to 7.5" and thread it.  I also had them re-profile the barrel to .750".  They did great work and very quickly.  Less then a week from my door and back.  It came back silver in color because the Oly barrels are stainless and can't be parkerized (just FYI).

You can probably buy the upper receiver from Oly.  Believe it or not, they answer their phone and ship quickly in my experience.  However a slick-side upper is the way to go since the forward assist is useless on the blow-back Oly but they only sell ones with forward assists.  I got a slick-side upper and had the Oly ejector holes drilled.  Added a 9mm shell deflector and half port door.  Made a nice little package.

Check this out if you haven't: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_15/345390__45_ACP_Conversion_Guide.html

Have any more questions, just ask.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:22:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Just send the barrel to ADCO. They can cut, thread and profile it for you.

You already have the upper off so just buy a flat top upper from AIM and put it on that when you get the barrel back from ADCO.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:25:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just send the barrel to ADCO. They can cut, thread and profile it for you.

You already have the upper off so just buy a flat top upper from AIM and put it on that when you get the barrel back from ADCO.
View Quote

The holes are easy to drill in the upper if you know how to measure and drill a hole.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:29:25 PM EDT
[#4]
AR45fan. Thanks for the link great info.  How much did they charge you for everything?   Can you shoot me a few pics?  I'm actually going to cut my barrel back to 10.5".  I plan on building an exact upper in 556.

Thanks again

Eddie
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:44:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
AR45fan. Thanks for the link great info.  How much did they charge you for everything?   Can you shoot me a few pics?  I'm actually going to cut my barrel back to 10.5".  I plan on building an exact upper in 556.

Thanks again

Eddie
View Quote

I don't remember what it cost but it wasn't too much.  The "cut and thread" was $65 and the profiling was something more.  

This is how it looked all put together:

7.5" barrel with 7" Midwest Industries Gen II Carbine rail.  It tucked the suppressor up nice and tight to the rail.

This is how it looked under the hand guard on the original Oly upper - before the slick-side:

It was a tack-driver.  I could bounce a tennis ball all over the range.  With a heavy buffer and a Wolff X-tra Power spring the recoil was soft and the gun stayed pretty clean.

Since then I've moved up to a Macon Armory DI upper (set up with all the same parts) - which is the bees' knees.  The forward assist is functional on these, by the way.  With the big sub-gun can it's crazy quiet, too.  At this point I feel like it's 'done'.

ETA: Also, if the lower you're using is dedicated to the Oly upper get a set of JP Industries reduced power "yellow" springs.  I have them and the trigger pull is fantastic - like 4 pounds.  They don't work great with a 5.56 rifle but they are perfectly reliable in the .45 - I've tried both and speak from experience.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:07:26 PM EDT
[#6]
AR45fan thanks again for the pictures.  Nice setup you have.   What suppressor are you using?  

Unfortunately I have YHM Cobra 45 and it ain't the best!  

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:18:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
AR45fan thanks again for the pictures.  Nice setup you have.   What suppressor are you using?  

View Quote

It's a screw-on from Rock Creek Gun Service.  They finished my lower as well (back before CNCGuns could sell 100% lowers).  I don't think it's super-sophisticated but it's big and very effective.  I can shoot without hearing protection and the impact sound from down-range overshadows the sound of the gun firing.

Pull the trigger and you get "thump" - "SMACK!"  

It's my only suppressor so I'm not an expert or anything but everyone I meet when I shoot is always impressed.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:28:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It's a screw-on from Rock Creek Gun Service.  They finished my lower as well (back before CNCGuns could sell 100% lowers).  I don't think it's super-sophisticated but it's big and very effective.  I can shoot without hearing protection and the impact sound from down-range overshadows the sound of the gun firing.

It's my only suppressor so I'm not an expert or anything but everyone I meet when I shoot is always impressed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very nice.  Thanks again!

Eddie
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top