Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2014 11:59:52 AM EDT
Hello All,

I have a rifle posted for sale or trade and a guy is offering a Colt 6450 in trade. What is the going rate for a 6450 in good to excellent condition?

I would probably just resell it as I am looking for a 5.56 but this would get me into something more saleable. At least I think it would be easier to sell than a benchrest rifle.

Thanks,

Steve
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:29:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Or maybe give me an idea where to look?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:45:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Ahhh, maybe on Gunbroker? or in the Blue Book?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:23:07 PM EDT
[#3]
The 9mm are a ball to shoot, and easier to reload for than the bottleneck rounds; hence they are cheap to shoot.
If you strike a deal, don't be too hasty about trading it away.
Moon
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:58:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks rsolomon. I was not too sure about what I was seeing on Gun Broker, prices like $1,500 to $2,000, seemed high compared to Tombstone Tactical had an MSRP of $1,176.

halfmoonclip

I have no doubt that a 9mm would be great and that I have posted in a forum that would be likely to know that. I am looking for my first AR15 and really looking to start out with a 5.56 but you never know.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 6:29:29 PM EDT
[#5]
The new flat tops can be had for 1100 new (6951).

Hard in this market.  There are a couple for 1500 or so that haven't moved on this site but they may be preban also.

They are a specialty item.  I am kind of looking for one although I have a 6951 already and would only pay 900 bucks or so.  Otherwise I would just get another 6951 and put a daniel defense a1.5 rear on it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 8:40:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thanks rsolomon. I was not too sure about what I was seeing on Gun Broker, prices like $1,500 to $2,000, seemed high compared to Tombstone Tactical had an MSRP of $1,176.
View Quote

Well, you need to look at sold  items, as asking price can be anything of course

As others have said:
a) it's an AR buyers market right now as everyone and their cousin is trying to ditch the 2 (or 10) they bought during the panic at crazy prices
b) There may be specific details about that model (I'm not a Colt guy) that make it more valuable, but then it's also going to be hard to sell for its "real" price

Without doing any research at all, I'd say BNIB non-Colt brands are ~$800-900 from what I've seen.  Another poster mentioned $1100 BNIB Colt which seems pretty close to right for me, so yeah, expect to sell it at best for $800-900.  

As an aside it always amuses me how folks want to trade their used gun at MSRP against my used gun at used value!  

ARFCOM Advice: Keep the benchrest rifle and "build" an AR from a factory upper (I like Adams Arms piston setups) and your choice of lower plus your favorite bits....

Richard
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:07:04 AM EDT
[#7]
That help a lot, thanks.

I have been Googling the 6450 and getting numbers all over the board. Up to $900 seems to be about right.

I have had the BR rifle since 2005 and have never fired it. That would not happen with an AR15. :)

I like the idea of building a rifle but I don't have the necessary tools or experience.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 5:28:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I like the idea of building a rifle but I don't have the necessary tools or experience.
View Quote

My advice is to buy a complete upper half and "build" your own lower.  You can make parts choices that mean almost no tools at all - e.g there are now spring-pin trigger guards, KNS takedown/pivot pins need no troublesome detents and springs, modular trigger packs are idiot-proof, etc...  The "safety" stuff (headspace) is in the upper so you avoid that concern with a factory upper half.  Just my $0.02 of course.

Richard

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:56:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the input.

I had exchanged several emails with the guy. He was aware that I was out of town and agreed to meet when I got back. So I get back from vacation and call him to set up the meeting and he tells me he has already traded the 9 mm.

It goes without saying that he was not from AR15.com

Best regards,

Steve
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top