Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2014 10:38:40 PM EDT
Just wondering how your bolt looks and approximate rd count. Mine has 1300 I think and there is noticeable wear where the bolt makes contact with the hammer on reset. It's obviously more pronounced on the left side, but seems to have slowed or possibly stopped after the first few boxes of 550. My buddy has one with 400 rds though it and the same wear pattern though still only concentrated on the far left side, a littler lower on the bolt than my own. Both came with the blue recoil spring and were purchased over a year apart and within the last 3 years.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 8:57:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Mine has had 3-4K thru it, I can see no noticeable wear, picture of what you are seeing?

I only shoot CCI and clean and lube after each range visit.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 11:40:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Mine at 1300 rd Fed 550: (pic didnt come out so well but that entire shiny area is wear into the steel, not just the coating)

His at 400 rd cci stinger:
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 11:42:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Wow! I will look again when I get home, but I would have noticed that when I am cleaning.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 4:04:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Thx man.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 9:56:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's a pic I took a few years ago when I noticed this happening to mine.
2-3k rounds

Now
??? round count (I quit counting)

It hasn't changed at all in the last several thousand rounds and I never have any issues with mine.

I still keep an eye on it though.

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 10:07:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Damn! That's a lot of battering IMO. It would be interesting to see some even higher round counts. Thanks for taking the time EB.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 10:22:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah I'm not thrilled about it, but I'm not really worried about it either.
The hammer is perfectly smooth and still has some finish on it. That tells you how soft these bolt are.

I just looked at an old thread I posted in on the s&w forum and it appears I took that first pic after my first outing with the rifle in 2011, not after a few thousand rounds like a stated above. Mine must have been poorly heat treated. Some people show the same wear after 200 rounds and some show a slight polished look after several thousand rounds.

Link Posted: 2/4/2015 8:30:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Bump.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 11:01:44 AM EDT
[#9]
My bolt probably has 700-1000 rounds through it and the bolt looks a little polished at that spot.  Hammer shows finish wear on the same side.

I cant see this causing malfunctions, so whatever.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 4:17:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Maybe not yet...hasn't even broken in, but how about at 10k rounds?
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 10:11:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Maybe not yet...hasn't even broken in, but how about at 10k rounds?
View Quote

I think it will be ok.

Mine had more rounds on it than yours before it blew the extractor out and I returned it to S&W.
They made some changes after the early guns to prevent this. It has at least 3x as many rounds as yours since the last time I cleaned it maybe considerably more. I was abusing the shit out of it before .22 dried up. I am thoroughly convinced they are very well built durable guns.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 10:54:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Hell yea, that's what I'm talking about. I got mine right as the shit was drying up so this is all the further I got before getting stingy. Thanks for the pics.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top