Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2014 5:20:11 AM EDT
just curious which is preferred, a dedicated upper, or converting your existing gun so that it still has the same weight and feel?

i'm considering a conversion kit, since i can swap it between my mid length and my pistol, but a dedicated upper is not much more money. both my guns are adams arms uppers, but i don't think that matters, since i can just turn the gas to the piston off right?
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 5:53:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I bought the conversion now I am building an upper with it. Because 8 moa is not acceptable to me
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 8:57:43 AM EDT
[#2]
You can try the conversion route but I haven't seen anyone totally happy with the results.
Do it right the first time and build or buy a quality dedicated upper.

Dave in Florida
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 3:30:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can try the conversion route but I haven't seen anyone totally happy with the results.

Dave in Florida
View Quote

Do this.

MAHA
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 4:08:30 PM EDT
[#4]
While the CMMG conversions run reliable FOR ME, the accuracy was not real good.
I built dedicated .22lr uppers that mimic my .223/5.56 uppers.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 8:00:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Well  this made it abundantly clear.

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 8:58:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Get a dedicated upper and more specifically get a Nordic upper or a JP or DMPS upper
they run on the Nordic operating system and is the best out there
I have a JP and my friend a DMPS we use in rimfire 2-run and run-n-gun matches and ours are the only ones I have seen that don't have problems.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 6:18:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Dedicated.  If my facts are correct, the bore diameters differ as does the bullet diameter.  .22LR is .223, .223 is .224, with a corresponding difference in bore diameter, so, in a conversion, accuracy suffers.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 8:30:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Dave in Florida
View Quote

+1

If you ask the question 5 years ago, maybe most would say conversion kit.  Not today, dedicated 22 upper is the way to go, with more than 1 company making good uppers that are accurate and reliable, why bother with the old conversion unit that may or may not run and shoots patterns instead of groups.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:24:00 AM EDT
[#9]
I built a dedicated upper and loved it so it got its own carbine lower.  Then I had to build a second dedicated one as a pistol, just because.  The accuracy is great and it is a ton of fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:20:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Dedicated.  If my facts are correct, the bore diameters differ as does the bullet diameter.  .22LR is .223, .223 is .224, with a corresponding difference in bore diameter, so, in a conversion, accuracy suffers.
View Quote

+1  for this....    one more thing to consider, and just as important in my opinion, is the twist rate. A .22lr dedicated barrel is 16:1 - a much better twist rate for a 36-40 grain bullet.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:06:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Get a dedicated upper and more specifically get a Nordic upper or a JP or DMPS upper

I have a JP and my friend a DMPS we use in rimfire 2-run and run-n-gun matches and ours are the only ones I have seen that don't have problems.
View Quote
Do you have to buy an entire rifle from JP?

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 6:41:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

+1  for this....    one more thing to consider, and just as important in my opinion, is the twist rate. A .22lr dedicated barrel is 16:1 - a much better twist rate for a 36-40 grain bullet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This>

My Ciener conversion kit does OK accuracy wise in my 1/9 hbar Bushmaster, but horrendous in a 1/7 Colt 6920. I liked it for plinking and "minute of Coke can" accuracy, but as I started teaching my kids the dedicated upper was the only way to go. As a mater of fact I built a dedicated AR 22. Runs great and is plenty accurate.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:09:39 PM EDT
[#13]
This horse has been beat to death many times before. But, if someone is new they don't know this so its fine to ask.

The conversion kit has its place. Even though I have four dedicated .22 uppers I still keep a conversion. I know....an excessive number but they are all different and have their place. After all.....one is never enough!  Granted I don't use the conversion often but sometimes I want to practice with one of my 5.56 rifles and the conversion makes it cheap and easy. With the right ammo the conversion shot in the rifles I use it in can reek havoc on pop cans at 25 to 50 yards. Good enough for what I need.

There was a time when .22 uppers were expensive. Their price is far more reasonable now and their quality and reliability are great. For many of us there is little excuse not to get one (or three or four).
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:42:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just the upper
the lower is a Spikes lower with a CMC trigger
works very well for me
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:43:59 AM EDT
[#15]
The JP upper is expensive
You might consider DMPS
uses the same Nordic system
I'm building an ultralight upper out of a DMPS M4 upper
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top