Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/6/2014 11:56:15 PM EDT
I built a 7" barrel 9mm AR pistol with a a sig SBX arm brace. I love the gun and have been taking it everywhere I go. I live in a large subdivision with houses everywhere. No one knows I even own a gun around here and I want to keep it like that .  We have no crime in the neighborhood but don't want to draw attention by carrying a gun case back and forth to my truck everyday. I thought about a soft junior  guitar case to carry it in. Any other suggestions?
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 12:09:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Tennis racket bag.  You can get a piece of upholstery foam and cut it to match the bag, them cut out the middle to fit your gun.  I have a nice pink one I picked up at a sporting goods store for 20 bucks, even has a side pouch for mags.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 1:57:50 AM EDT
[#2]
soft padded guitar (or bass guitar for longer barrel) Gig Bag.

Link Posted: 12/7/2014 2:15:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Pics of the gun?
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 10:55:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I own (won at a match) one of these. Very discrete and purpose built. They were tested in malls in North Texas as to their effectiveness.

Comp Tac Heavy
Comp Tac Light

I am able to (barely) squeeze my 16" fixed stock with a 1.5" comp in this.

Otherwise I'd recommend a quality back pack with 2 large compartments to seperate the upper from the lower and store in each compartment.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 4:31:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pics of the gun?
View Quote

I have pics of the gun , but it's just a plain ole 7" barrel 9 mm AR with the SBX . Took me about 6 months to build as I bought all parts on sale or at gun shows. Got $732 in it now with iron sights. I'm running 20 round mags only as I don't have any 32 rd ones.  It's 26" long and 9" tall. I don't want to break it down to carry it as I want it for instant use if need be. I found a "Black Nylon Oxford Padded Soft Gig Bag for 26" Tenor Ukulele Handle Backpack" on eBay for 13 bucks. , looks promising .
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 5:55:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I carry mine in a Bulldog brand "Ultra compact discreet" case. Part number BD475. It fits a regular size AR broken down, or an SBR fully assembled.
It's blue and doesn't look like a gun case, but it doesn't look like an anything-else case either.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 6:33:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 7:45:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I used to use a combination tennis racket and gym bag.  It held a full length AR separated into upper and lower, plus a lot of other stuff without looking like a gun case.  Too bad it had a cheap zipper that finally broke...

There are some pretty cool looking tennis racket bags out there, and some baseball bat cases too.  But I like the tool bag idea myself for several reasons.  First, the bag is built to handle heavy loads, and it looks like a big tool bag.  Second, it's got flexibility written all over it - some foam separators or even custom-cut spaces, and that thing will be awesome.  And it's not so "low key" that it looks like you're hiding something.  I like that a lot.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 8:36:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Pick up a used baby bag from a rummage sale...
You can leave it on your front seat and no one will want to steal it.

The small ones can fit 2 disassembled AR's totally unnoticed.

Get a couple of disposable diapers from the restroom vending machine...
and a Sippy cup from the baby section of the grocery store.

Shove them halfway in the end pockets for added stealth.

A little dingy is preferred...
Think, Hugh Grant in " About a Boy "
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 11:02:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 11:16:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I use a toolbox
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 1:58:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Just put a sling on it and carry it over your shoulder. You'd be surprised what people don't notice.

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 12:14:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Saw an add for a Dewalt 'empty box' today, looked kinda like a sawzall style/size. Might be worth investigating.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 12:19:44 AM EDT
[#14]
5.11 covert m4
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 12:24:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Friend of mine had a violin case for his mossberg 500.

Maybe an option??
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 6:22:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Just remember that you want something that is valueless. A laptop case or a professional camera case is something people like to steal.
A beat up tennis case, or a baby bag not so much.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 5:18:53 AM EDT
[#17]
I was contemplating a guitar/16" Ar15 case using closed-cell spray-in foam.  I came to the conclusion that I would need 2 cases, using one as a mold.  I would cut out the bottom of the mold case, open it up, lay it on a plastic sheet, factory open-side down, lay a wrapped Ar15 on the plastic sheet inside the case and spray.  After the foam has risen and cured I will cut the foam flush to the bottom and flip over.  Voids to grip the Ar15 will need to be made.  The top will also need to be foamed and cut to the edge.  I will then place the finished foam in the uncut case then deface the exterior it to make it appear weathered.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 7:17:57 AM EDT
[#18]
I use a Louisville Slugger bat and ball bag for my pistol.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 8:35:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Tennis racket bag works great... But isnt as covert as most think. I bet many of you dont look like youre going to go play tennis.

If im really trying to be discreet, i pop the pins and toss my ar in a regular backpack. No one notices that. Ever. Anywhere....
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 9:34:54 AM EDT
[#20]
I can't remember who makes it, but someone sells a dedicated AR carry case that looks like a soft guitar bag. I think the same company has a carry bag that looks like a slingstrap book/laptop bag that has a 'quick access' pocket for a large auto pistol like an AR pistol or a Skorpion. And a few months I stumbled across a nice discreet carry bag for a full length AR, looked like a soft case but had stiffeners inside to hold it's shape and had two padded slots/cavities side by side, one for a full 16" upper and one for the lower.

Edit: it's the NCSTAR VISM discreet rifle bag, Sportsman's Guide & Amazon have it for $35.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 8:07:22 PM EDT
[#21]
This thread is worthless without pics...
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 8:24:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:32:53 PM EDT
[#23]
A handgun would be a whole lot easier to conceal with no drama...
Just sayin',
Moon
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top