Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2014 1:28:48 PM EDT
The gun club where I can shoot my centerfire long guns is a 65 min. drive one way. The club where I  shoot pistol ammo only is only 15 mins away. This has made me a pistol guy. I load for 9mm, .45 auto. and a few other cals.
I would like to get a 9mm luger carbine of some sort.
Looking at the Colt 9mm ARs they are about $1000. There is plenty of negative things said about this example.
Buds has CMMG M4LE9  a 9mm AR for $859. All of my .223/5.56 ARs are in the $1000 range
Then theres the High Point 9mm carbine with lifetime warranty for about $300. I have heard only good things about the High Point and spare mags are as available as any.
Being an older fella I intend on using a red dot sight.
I have read highly positive comments and product reviews from those who have put a few hundred rounds thru a new firearm. I'm looking for a carbine that can run thousands of rounds as my pistols do.
I shoot my guns, my favorite guns a lot. This past summer Im sure I put 4000 rounds thru my Springfield Range Officer in .45 and closer to 6000 rounds thru my Springfield XDM 5.25. I figure to do the same with my future 9mm carbine.
What are the pros & cons of the different 9mm carbines.
The High Point, in my opinion is oogly, I can hardly look at it but far more importantly I hear they run good and run for a long time.
What do yous think?

Many Thanks For Your Time
  VonBark  

Link Posted: 11/18/2014 1:45:07 PM EDT
[#1]
If you shoot an AR already then strongly consider a 9mm AR.

The Colt 9mm Carbine you are looking for is the Colt 6951.  It has a flat top upper receiver and is optics ready.

If you get a 9mm AR that uses Colt pattern magazines get Metalform brand magazines.  They function properly.

I have a Colt 6450, which is an iron sight (fixed carry handle) 9mm carbine.  I bought it years ago and I would really prefer a flat top version.  The Colt does function properly without drama- which is a good reason for buying a Colt in the first place.  Make sure you get the Metalform mags, though.  They were the original Colt OEM supplier for 9mm carbine mags.

A very different carbine you may consider is a Beretta Storm.  I have one that is great fun to shoot, but frankly once you are done upgrading the trigger pull (a company called Sierra Papa does this) you are running into the cost territory of a 9mm AR.

Link Posted: 11/18/2014 2:51:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Check out thureon defense
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 3:28:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Rock River Arms.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 7:18:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a pair of CMMG and they work great. Plus they use the cheap ASC mags just as reliably as the metalform or colt mags.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 8:30:25 PM EDT
[#5]
No experience with them, but Stag is also offering AR rifles in 9mm.

As an alternative, have you considered perhaps a 9mm AR pistol?
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 10:18:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Love my Colt 9MM AR. Never given me a problem.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 10:29:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I too love my Colt 6450 9mm, was a gift from by buddy along with a spare Colt flat top upper and an ammo can full of mags and ammo.  Many of the mags are Uzi's  with the hole modified.....they feed just fine but do not have hold open on last shot.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:05:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Since you said you reload 45,
Qc10 just released their Glock Large Frames on their website www.Qcircle10.com. They also have their clt9mm and small frame glocks.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:43:56 AM EDT
[#9]
I currently use a RRA 10.5" upper with Spike's Tactical mag block and ASC mags. No issues at all. Just ordered a QC10 colt style lower though.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 9:07:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Lone Wolf also makes dedicated Glock magazine complete lowers. In stock now.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:00:12 AM EDT
[#11]
From the Original Poster.
Thanks guys. Thanks for the quick replies.

VonBark

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 1:56:25 PM EDT
[#12]
High Point 9mm carbine is heavy & crude but mine was 100% reliable, had zero issues. Not super accurate, I'd call it 'AK accurate', but I sold mine after picking up a used Storm 9mm carbine. The Storm is surprisingly accurate, I didn't think I could group 9mm this tightly @ 50 yards but the Storm does it. Also have a Rock River Arms 9mm AR (Colt pattern, Hahn magwell block, Metalform mags) doesn't shoot as tight as the Storm but better than the High Point. And then there's the Just Right carbines, I have one of those in .45acp and it's a great rifle as well. But the nice thing about a true 9mm AR is the ability to  upgrade & change stuff. My RRA started as an upper with a ramped bold and a Hahn top loader sharing a lower with my BCM upper. Later I picked up another lower and made a complete rifle, after than I wanted LRHO so I added a long finger bolt catch, then I upgraded the buffer to a Spikes ST-9X and added an xtra power buffer spring. All the rifles I've mentioned are great but I could only do these mods to a true AR platform rifle.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:36:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a pair of CMMG and they work great. Plus they use the cheap ASC mags just as reliably as the metalform or colt mags.
View Quote

This, only I have only one instead of a pair.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:43:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Another +1 for CMMG.  It is extremely accurate and reliable.  It is a hoot to shoot as well.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 3:56:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Having owned eight 9mm carbines over the past 15 years including most that have been mentioned here I have some experience in these things, but I am NOT an expert. I currently am down to only five 9mm carbines having sold off the ones I cared less for

Which did I keep and why?

Beretta Storm CX-4   (Ten years)   Stone reliable. Very accurate. Small, compact, well made other than the trigger...but that I fixed  in 15 minutes. Never misses a beat, chrome lined barrel and loads of fun.

Marlin 9 Camp Carbine   Also stone reliable. Old school carbine roughly the size of an M-1 carbine.  Nothing breakes, old school steel receiver and more.

Hi-Pioint 995 TS   Reliable. Accurate. Life time warranty and cheap.  I gave $238 for this one. I actually got my first one back in the 1990's when they first came out. I lived in Ohio close to the distributor.  Shot well and never gave me a problem. It is heavy and crude with a zinc bolt and very basic engineering. Small 10 round magazines. But it shot and shot. Ugly is only skin deep. Sold it years later but missed it so bought a new and improved 995 TS just to have one.

Just Right Carbine  Looks like an AR, uses AR trigger and furniture but takes Glock pistol magazines. Very accurate and reliable

Oh, and I can't forget my Kel-Tec Sub9 (not the new cheaper S2000k) Folds up, very light, and shoots petty straight.

These are all good choices in my eyes, but, YMMV

TNW ASR (Aero Survival Rifle).  5 pounds of fun.  Smallish carbine with a barrel that screws off my hand without tools and packs away. Uses Glock magazines.  Price is not as cheap as a Hi Point but its a real gun with a steel bolt. Mine is a smooth shooter and hits where you aim it shot oafer sop.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:11:17 AM EDT
[#16]
PSA has a new 9mm AR, but I am going to wait for the one w glock mags
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 3:04:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
PSA has a new 9mm AR, but I am going to wait for the one w glock mags
View Quote

Which AR do they have?
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 9:41:08 PM EDT
[#18]
this one:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/18793/s/psa-16-9mm-1-10-melonite-rifle-kit-no-magazine/

was $50 cheaper Black Friday
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 12:23:28 PM EDT
[#19]
and today it's back down to $499
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 12:34:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The Colt 9mm Carbine you are looking for is the Colt 6951.  It has a flat top upper receiver and is optics ready.

If you get a 9mm AR that uses Colt pattern magazines get Metalform brand magazines.  They function properly.
View Quote

Impact has them for about $1100
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 6:00:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Love my CMMG dedicated lower and you can use anny upper with it.
Supper reliable and shoots holes on top of holes...

http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/lundin3/media/Gun%20builds%20and%20shooting/9mm%20AR15%20build/MK9_zps86968fd6.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top