Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/18/2014 10:22:54 AM EDT
Well, I'm in the final stages of my suppressed 9mm pistol build and have to decide on a handgaurd.  I would like to have the handgaurd cover most of the can I'm using (AAC Evo9).  I'm using a TROS 3-lug 5" barrel....if it ever arrives..and am on the fence between the Daniel Defense 9" MFR or the Knights Armament URX4 keymod rail.

Here's my question: how much/how often will I need to have acces to the end of the barrel?  Will I need to clean the lugs?  I ask because it will affect my decision on the handgaurd.  The DD MFR is easy to remove to access the barrel.  Just remove 4 setscrews.  The KA URX4 will be a PITA because it's also the barrel nut.  Basically, EVERYTIME I want to access the muzzle I'll need to un-torque the rail.  If the 3-lug attachment point on the barrel is a regular maintenance spot...well, I guess I'd have to get the DD MFR rail.  It's just that I like the KA URX4 looks better and it's got the keymod slots like all my other rails.

The suppressor is going to be mostly, 95% of the time, living on this pistol.  However, I'd like to be able to remove it and inspect it occassionally and for cleaning.

Anyone have experience with prolonged use and maintenance of the 3-lug barrels/muzzles?

Thanks in advance, ARFCOM kicks ass with both feet,
Cheers623
DVC
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 11:10:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I have owned a 3 lug TROS barreled AR15 SBR since 2007, shot 100% of the time with my EVO 9.

I have never needed to access the lugs on the barrel for any reason.
I think I may have removed the hand guards twice in that time, but it was not to clean the outside of the barrel.

You WILL need to clean the 3 lug on the evo though. It will get gummed up with carbon and the piston will not move smoothly. If it gets stuck while pushed in, it will make the silencer wobble on the barrel and could lead to a baffle strike. So, when you feel that it's not snapping back into place and holding things properly, take the TRIAD apart and clean it out.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 2:39:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Awesome, that's exactly the stuff I need to know!
Cheers623
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 6:22:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Whenever I remove my Trident to clean the LCD, I always take a toothbrush to the lugs of the barrel.  Maybe it's overkill, but it is always dirty and I don't want the tolerances to get too tight from buildup.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:59:00 AM EDT
[#4]
I am a little late on this thread but I would go with the hand guard that is easier to remove. I have 3 lug barrels/ or adapters on most of my 9mm SMGs and carbines. What happens is the end of the 3 lug gets a powder fouling buildup that will get as hard as diamonds if you allow it to. The actual lugs stay pretty clean but remember the end of the barrel is up next to the blast baffle and in that environment stuff builds up. I also have had the 3 lug suppressor adapter get fouled to the point it did  not come off the lug without a bunch of break free. And of course you need to clean the adapter piston on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:58:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the feedback. I ended up getting a DD MFR that's pretty easy to remove.  I had the same suspicion that I shouldn't box my self in with cleaning/access to the muzzle. Now....if only my TROS barrel would show up....
Cheers623
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top