Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/17/2014 12:09:39 PM EDT
A few days back a shooter here contacted me about doing a couple AR pistol cartridge conversions for him….I built a couple rifle uppers for him that worked out pretty well …. I had to turn him down as I hadn’t done any AR pistol cartridge conversions, just focused more on the rifle stuff… I knew there were a few guys here that had made great advances in the DI pistol cartridge world and DI looked to be the direction to go….

I think the pistol cartridge conversions have a really neat utility component to them when matching to a sidearm….. So that got me to thinking and looking around the shop for parts to pull together into a DI pistol conversion build……I had recently built a P14 in 9/.45 and had all the tooling here to do another barrel…. thought it would be a really neat cartridge if I could get it to run in the DI AR…

The 9/.45 is basically a .45 ACP case necked down to 9mm….It has gone by several different names and dimensional changes over the last fifty years…..AKA the .38/.45 Clerke, .38 Casull, .45/.38 Auto Pistol, etc…..performance is pretty stellar, a 124gr fmj at 1,400 to 1,500 fps is pretty common out of a 5” 1911….the effective barrel on the AR pistol/carbine would work out to around 11” with an overall length of 16.5” with mid-length handguards and a permanently attached flashhider…so similar if not better performance should be pretty easy to replicate….

Parts used (not saying it’s the best, just what I had around the shop for the conversion)
- Olympic .45ACP magazine (modified for DI bolt and carrier)
- Armalite 7.62x39mm bolt and extractor (modified for .473” rim)
- Noveske Switchblock (modified drum and gas tube for short gas system)
- 400 Corbon brass (small primer and pretty stiff brass)
- M4 extension (ramped a little for the center feed)

The pre-assembled parts.

Modifying the Olympic magazine for DI bolt and carrier clearance.

9/.45 in modified Olympic magazine.

Dressing the gas block journal.

Modified mid-length handguard.

Rough assembled rig.

Everything fit great and the bottleneck 9/.45 feeds like a champ….velocity has been great!, loads are easily worked up in the 1,600fps range with the 124gr FMJ…….the case capacity and smaller bore of the 9mm made it a little easier to tune the port size, and the bolt hold-open is a nice feature also….I guess next will be a straight up .45 ACP…..
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 2:49:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Standard carbine buffer and spring? What size gas hole?
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 7:26:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm looking for a 45ACP DI upper that will work with a DDLES 45 Glock lower.  This maybe another option.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 9:45:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm looking for a 45ACP DI upper that will work with a DDLES 45 Glock lower.  This maybe another option.
View Quote

I have them on the shelf...........
Very nice work OP....how does the chamber pressure of the round you used compare to the 7.62 Tokarev? Gas system looks pretty similiar.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 2:46:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Standard carbine buffer and spring? What size gas hole?
View Quote

short answer:  yes,  .105"

expanded answer: 3oz buffer, standard spring....the gas system length from the extension shoulder to the gas block shoulder is 1.8"....I worked up the 11" velocity/impulse with the 124gr bullets before drilling the gas port....the decided velocity/impulse node is between 1,550 and 1,650fps and achieve as complete of a burn in 11 inches of barrel....

where it ended up:
124gr @ 1,625fps = cycles 100% and full lock-back on empty mag
124gr @ 1,550fps = cycles 100% and full lock-back on empty mag
124gr @ 1,5000fps = cycles 100% and no lock-back
124gr @ 1,400fps = cycles 100% and no lock-back

hope this helps...
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 2:59:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Very nice work OP....how does the chamber pressure of the round you used compare to the 7.62 Tokarev? Gas system looks pretty similiar.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

thank you....I'm guessing they're pretty close, both in pressure and gas system length....the Tok may be able to get away with a slightly longer system due to the smaller bore.....the 9/.45 ended up at 1.8" @ 30K ish pressure?....I'm gonna start on a 45 ACP upper next, in pretty much the same layout except with a gas system length around .600" length??

Link Posted: 12/2/2014 12:28:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Great idea and beautiful job.

I once built up a M1 carbine in 357 Auto Mag.   Mags worked with no mods.   Had to drop the pistol loads by 10%.   Managed to get 2000 fps from a 158 gr JSP.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 4:12:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Great idea and beautiful job.

I once built up a M1 carbine in 357 Auto Mag.   Mags worked with no mods.   Had to drop the pistol loads by 10%.   Managed to get 2000 fps from a 158 gr JSP.
View Quote

I always thought the carbine conversions were really neat.....never looked into it very hard but I always thought one in 357 auto mag, or good ole 45 win mag would be pretty cool....congrats on the auto mag, probably a hell of a stalking carbine...

Link Posted: 12/9/2014 12:23:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Darn! I wish I hadn't seen that!

Now it is officially under my skin! The biggest problem with my CA address is how hard it makes the magazine issues.

Now I gotta have one of these and for that to happen I have to first work out the 10 round magazine problem. Darn it....  

Makes me wonder about 357 Sig too? But if I can work the magazines, then your idea looks great! Congrats on a beautiful rig!

Merry Christmas!
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 1:17:41 AM EDT
[#9]
HK USC mag well adapter I make should work well with it.......and I have a CA legal version with 10 round mags......
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 2:54:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Email sent
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top