Link Posted: 11/7/2014 1:57:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Cool.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 1:59:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Ramped bolt?
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 12:44:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I was wondering ramped bolt as well, looks like a standard round hammer pictured. Big plus if ramped bolt. My only concern is the magwell adaptor, that will make or break a build and this one kinda looks like a ProMag to me. At least they include a metalform mag, best mag you can run and I understand the people that did have good luck with the ProMags were running metalform mags. I think I paid $550 for a RRA upper with a ramped bolt from ADCO so this is a pretty good price for a full package, if the magwell adaptor is junk you're still ahead pricewise.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 12:47:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was wondering ramped bolt as well, looks like a standard round hammer pictured. Big plus if ramped bolt. My only concern is the magwell adaptor, that will make or break a build and this one kinda looks like a ProMag to me. At least they include a metalform mag, best mag you can run and I understand the people that did have good luck with the ProMags were running metalform mags. I think I paid $550 for a RRA upper with a ramped bolt from ADCO so this is a pretty good price for a full package, if the magwell adaptor is junk you're still ahead pricewise.
View Quote

I don't know anything about PCCs, but if it helps - the magwell adapter is made of aluminum and goes in from the top.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 5:25:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

"Test fired to check gas function", huh?  Interesting.
View Quote

Heh.  I'll be generous and assume that was just copied from some previous ad copy.  Ask on their Industry Forum if you want their opinion :)

Other length barrels are coming as well.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:09:57 PM EDT
[#7]
did anyone actually try this yet?
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 12:35:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 12:39:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Bolt is not ramped.......magwell adapter is machined aluminum with a steel feed ramp and steel LRBHO actuator....not promag.....
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:46:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Bolt is not ramped.......magwell adapter is machined aluminum with a steel feed ramp and steel LRBHO actuator....not promag.....
View Quote

If the bolt isn't ramped does it have a 9mm specific hammer in the kit? Do you know who makes the mag adapter?
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:56:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Yes, I have one on my desk for testing, along with a couple of the bolts. Pretty much all I can say at the moment beyond the fact that a good friend makes them. I have mentioned that they aren't ramped to my friend, but they are made to specs he was supplied with. I went ahead and ramped the ones I have, but it did shoot well with the magwell adapter before I ramped them. I ran 500 rounds with no problems with the bolt in one of my uppers and on a dedicated lower I have in the shop I made a few years back. Did have some issues with a QC10 lower because of the floating ejector, and am working on a fix, and it also ran on a Lone Wolf with no problems. All testing was done in one of my uppers with a barrel I made.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 3:13:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Strange they didn't just copy the ramping on the more recent Colt bolts.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 5:41:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm not clear on the hammer situation. It does or doesn't have a 9mm specific hammer?
It shows a normal hammer in the photos on the PSA website. It seems like it will be awful hard on the hammer pin and the lower if they are making a kit with a non-ramped bolt and a normal hammer.
Have you got the specs you ramp the bolts to?

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:14:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Already made a fixture to do it..........
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:55:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

The question is how are you ramping them.

I already have two ruined bolts (older Colt ) that were done improperly.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 10:55:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Do these use a proprietary mag or something common?

Please say Sten mags....
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:20:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Do these use a proprietary mag or something common?

Please say Sten mags....
View Quote

Colt style mags.  Their mag wouldn't fit when I received the kit, it needed the front lip sanded to seat all the way.  They sent a new mag release to fix the issue but it was the mag itself.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:52:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

On a milling machine of course........sent you an email.
The short version is an angle parallel and a 1/2 inch 4 flute carbide endmill on a milling machine......
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 12:46:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The short version is an angle parallel and a 1/2 inch 4 flute carbide endmill on a milling machine......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, I didn't realize it was a trade secret.

I have seen ramps as shallow as 3* and they still worked in semi auto guns. An M16 needs to have the hammer pushed back a little more for the safety sear to catch so I ran mine a little more angle and less length in the ramp.
Here's what I've done before and it works fine.
for anyone that needs numbers to work off of...
angle of bolt when milling ramp 5.2*
depth of cut .135"
the bolt needs held in a 6" vise by the carrier key with a .5" spacer under the rear of the bolt this will give you approx a 5.2* angle

Is it a 9mm specific hammer in the kit or no? Or is that secret too?
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 2:47:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I have seen ramps as shallow as 3* and they still worked in semi auto guns. An M16 needs to have the hammer pushed back a little more for the safety sear to catch so I ran mine a little more angle and less length in the ramp.
depth of cut .135"
the bolt needs held in a 6" vise by the carrier key with a .5" spacer under the rear of the bolt this will give you approx a 5.2* angle

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

depth of cut .135"

Not really a trade secret....as many members here will attest, I have never refused to help on a personal build with dimensions, prints and advice on how I do something...I just don't post tech data that I developed on my own in open forum.....that is why I sent the email to Gamma762 letting him know that I'd measure the angle parallel I use and supply the dimension when I got  back to the office, I'd have included it in the email but as I usually have between 10 and 20 ideas in development at any one time....I make something like that...make a note of it in my shop notes and move on. Don't even try to remember something like that.. All someone has to do is ask nicely....I'm pretty easy to get along with and enjoy helping creative people with their home builds.

The make of the parts is between PSA and the maker....not my place to divulge that info.......I get access to a lot of things because I keep my mouth shut.

As for the hammer in the kit....I only have access to the bolt and magwell adapter as previously stated......not the whole kit....I don't need one as I make my own......and other than looking at the picture any comment on what hammer would be speculation on my part which I prefer not to do.............Just thought some might like to know what specifics I could factually comment about. Ask and I'll be happy to help but sarcasm in an open forum tends to dampen my willingness. Next time perhaps I'll just keep my mouth shut......

Just measured the parallel I made.....it produces a 5 1/2 degree angle.......
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 12:00:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

depth of cut .135"
View Quote

If you are gonna do it that way......sort of a poor mans sine plate, you need to specify the exact distance from where the bolt touches the top edge of the vise jaw and the location of the .5 inch spacer.....and weather it is rectangular or round...all will effect the angle produced.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 12:01:14 PM EDT
[#22]
double tap
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 3:55:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

If you are gonna do it that way......sort of a poor mans sine plate, you need to specify the exact distance from where the bolt touches the top edge of the vise jaw and the location of the .5 inch spacer.....and weather it is rectangular or round...all will effect the angle produced.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

depth of cut .135"

Yeah, probably. It was square and I set it up with the bolt carrier end and the back side of the square bar flush. I usually use a protractor or angle gauge to get it in the 5.25-5.5* range and let it ride.
I guess I came on a little strong there. I didn't realize it until you responded. I have a thing about tribal knowledge sometimes. I'm sorry about that.

Edit: your 5 1/2* fixture should produce perfect ramps That will work with semi and M16 FCG's.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 7:00:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yeah, probably. It was square and I set it up with the bolt carrier end and the back side of the square bar flush. I usually use a protractor or angle gauge to get it in the 5.25-5.5* range and let it ride.
I guess I came on a little strong there. I didn't realize it until you responded. I have a thing about tribal knowledge sometimes. I'm sorry about that.

Edit: your 5 1/2* fixture should produce perfect ramps That will work with semi and M16 FCG's.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

depth of cut .135"

No problem......and if I can ever be of assistance with a problem don't hesitate to ask....I built my first 1911 from parts about 45 years ago........and rewelded my first M1 carbine and got my first lathe and mill about 40 years ago...........and have been doing nothing but pistol caliber AR's for about the last 10 years......so I've run up on one or two problems in the past....
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 9:31:25 PM EDT
[#25]
I bought one of these as a Black Friday special.   Has not shipped yet.  

Are they retrofitting them based on feedback from this forum?

Also, they were out of mags at the time of my order, so I got some UZI mags, as I understand they  need only a simple mod to make them work.  
Is anybody familiar with modding UZI mags and can you point me to an URL or youtube video?

Thanks,

patiently  anticipating
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 5:32:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Hi,

I bought one of these kits, minus the magazine, last Saturday on the Black Friday deal. I received and assembled it yesterday. I won't have a chance to shoot it until Monday or Tuesday. I'll report back after I've been to the range.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 6:32:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Nice kit.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 11:06:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Hi,

I bought one of these kits, minus the magazine, last Saturday on the Black Friday deal. I received and assembled it yesterday. I won't have a chance to shoot it until Monday or Tuesday. I'll report back after I've been to the range.
View Quote

Did you have a chance to try it out yet? I'm thinking about getting one of these kits, but I'd like to see some positive feedback first!
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 3:00:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Im really looking forward to any range reports on these.  Im quite familiar with PSA and with the latest special its even more tempting.

PSA 16" 9mm Kit.

I have and use a PSA upper/lower with parts kits on my target rifle, Love it so far and just need to find the ammo it loves best.  I will be building a seperate dedicated SBR lower soon just for 9mm, 300 BO, and 5.56 in various lengths and suppressed. So once someone gets some range time post some pics of the completed rifle and group information at various ranges.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 2:01:26 PM EDT
[#30]
I too am waiting for some range reports to come in. I am REALLY interested in a 7" to put on an SBR lower with a can.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 4:32:22 AM EDT
[#31]
I've put 200 rounds through it so far. Out of those 200, I had about 15 rounds that had feeding issues. The round would miss the chamber and get jammed into the top of the receiver. The rounds were damaged enough that I didn't feel comfortable trying to fire them again. I was only shooting standing at 25 yards and was pretty happy with it accuracy wise as my plans for this are for it to ride around the farm in my truck and have a little fun at the range. The feeding issues were a bit frustrating, but I am hoping they can be worked out. Ammo used was 100 rounds of Fiocchi 115 grain FMJ, 50 rounds American Eagle 124 grain FMJ and 50 rounds of Freedom Munitions 115 grain FMJ. The feeding issues occurred with all three.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 11:52:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I've put 200 rounds through it so far. Out of those 200, I had about 15 rounds that had feeding issues. The round would miss the chamber and get jammed into the top of the receiver. The rounds were damaged enough that I didn't feel comfortable trying to fire them again. I was only shooting standing at 25 yards and was pretty happy with it accuracy wise as my plans for this are for it to ride around the farm in my truck and have a little fun at the range. The feeding issues were a bit frustrating, but I am hoping they can be worked out. Ammo used was 100 rounds of Fiocchi 115 grain FMJ, 50 rounds American Eagle 124 grain FMJ and 50 rounds of Freedom Munitions 115 grain FMJ. The feeding issues occurred with all three.
View Quote

Thanks for getting back with a range report, and sorry you're gun is having some teething issues. Are you using more than one magazine, and did if so, did this happen with all of them? Sounds like maybe the magazine lip isn't controlling the round.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 5:41:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Yes, thanks very much for the range report!
Ready to place an order but concerned about the feeding issue you report.
The idea that there may need to be additional machining is troubling.  The price is attractive but problems make me wonder if paying more $$$ for a Colt would be a better idea.

***Another question:  how does it EJECT not having that humongous case deflector like the Colt has?  Is that "an ingenious solution to a non-existent problem?"  Only to keep from blinding southpaws??
Thanks,

Dave
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 3:16:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Received my kit over a week ago but the FCG was missing from the LPK.  Overall the kit looks good but frustrated I cant shoot it!  E-mailed them twice with no response and will be calling them Monday if I don't hear back.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 8:35:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Received my kit over a week ago but the FCG was missing from the LPK.  Overall the kit looks good but frustrated I cant shoot it!  E-mailed them twice with no response and will be calling them Monday if I don't hear back.
View Quote

Go to the PSA industry section in the forum here and PM the rep.  That will get you the quickest response.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 10:04:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Ok, a buddy of mine picked up one of these rifle kits on Black Friday.  
Put it together last weekend. It went together pretty easily considering the mag block is a press fit from the top and you have to remove the bolt hold open to get it in.

Took it out with him today and sighted it it with a MaTech rear sight.  Still waiting on the TRS-25 on order from PSA for it.
This is a really nice shooting gun. It groups really tight at 25 yards and the Metalform magazine was flawless and locked back when empty every time.  We shot both PMC 124 gn and some lead reloads.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 10:47:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Put it together last weekend. It went together pretty easily considering the mag block is a press fit from the top and you have to remove the bolt hold open to get it in.

Took it out with him today and sighted it it with a MaTech rear sight.  Still waiting on the TRS-25 on order from PSA for it.
This is a really nice shooting gun. It groups really tight at 25 yards and the Metalform magazine was flawless and locked back when empty every time.  We shot both PMC 124 gn and some lead reloads.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'm curious about the upper receiver.  Does it have provision for a port door?  Is it machined for a cam pin & gas tube?

Quoted:
***Another question:  how does it EJECT not having that humongous case deflector like the Colt has?  Is that "an ingenious solution to a non-existent problem?"  Only to keep from blinding southpaws??

The big deflector on most 9mms isn't for cases, it's to block gas & particles from coming right back at the shooter.  Straight blowback operated firearms tend to squirt out some gas from the breech, and with the extra-large ejection port on a standard AR upper, it's got a straight shot right back at the face of the shooter without that deflector there.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:54:13 AM EDT
[#38]
Volstag,
I think the issue may be my magazines. The only Colt pattern mags I could find in my area were packaged for the Tavor 9mm conversion. Looking at some pictures, it seems the feed lips on my mags don't go as far forward as the probably should. My guess is that the rear end of the round clears the feed lips to early and allows the round to get pushed up into the receiver.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:54:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I'm curious about the upper receiver.  Does it have provision for a port door?  Is it machined for a cam pin & gas tube?

The big deflector on most 9mms isn't for cases, it's to block gas & particles from coming right back at the shooter.  Straight blowback operated firearms tend to squirt out some gas from the breech, and with the extra-large ejection port on a standard AR upper, it's got a straight shot right back at the face of the shooter without that deflector there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

No on the provision for a port door. I don't recall if there was a gas tube hole or not.

As far as ejection and gas blowing back I didn't notice any when I fired it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:59:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Ejection seemed to be fine. Most cases were ejected 3-5 feet to the right and slightly back, although an occasional case would hit my shoulder. Didn't notice any gas or debris hitting my face.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 9:27:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Thank you Gamma762 and others commenting on the brass deflector and ejection results from the PSA gun!  Appreciate the good info and replies.

***Another question about the BCG:  What's the purpose of that ramped underside (mentioned earlier as absent in the PSA BCG)?
Saturday, I stopped by the local gun emporium to check out their 9mm rifles.  They didn't have a Colt but did have CMMG.  Price was $1,029 I believe and that's inline with MSRP on their website.  The counter man knows me and opened up the rifle and removed the bolt when I asked about it.  I could see that ramped underside surface you all talked about.  A guess here:  Could it be there so that on recoil, the underside of the bolt carrier pushes down on the top round to avoid excess drag?

The range reports are much appreciated and I have bought lower receivers, LPK, and complete upper assemblies from PSA and like their service and quality.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 10:13:26 PM EDT
[#42]
I didn't get the full kit but did get the 9mm upper and have to say at least mine is pretty rough. I hope it gets smoother after some use but just hand cycling it was pretty gritty. Did a good scrubbing on it and hand cycled it about 100 times and helped a little so maybe a couple hundred rounds thru it will smooth things up. I plan to take it out to the range Saturday and will report back.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:21:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Got the kit today. Non ramped BCG.

Regular hammer.

i need the RRA hammer now dont i?

DAMN PSA!  They know better.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:40:10 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm going to be taking my PSA 9mm out tomorrow and wanted to ask if anyone has any new reports on theirs. I've hand cycled mine quite a bit now and still seems pretty rough. It takes a lot of force to release the bolt hold open and cycling it seems inconsistent. Sometimes, it goes easy and others, it seems to kind of drag when going forward. I'm tempted to break out the buffing wheel and polish things up some before I take it out.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:28:15 PM EDT
[#45]
I built mine sprayed with lube inside and out, wiped off excess and fired 100 rounds without a hiccup. Trigger was a little heavy but other than that I'm completely satisfied. Now I'm worried cuz everyone saying I need a different hammer? But working great so far. I put it on a spikes lower and it went together very easily!
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:15:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Thank you Gamma762 and others commenting on the brass deflector and ejection results from the PSA gun!  Appreciate the good info and replies.

***Another question about the BCG:  What's the purpose of that ramped underside (mentioned earlier as absent in the PSA BCG)?
View Quote
First, it's a bolt, not a bolt carrier group.  It's a big, heavy mother because the blowback action of this type of gun requires plenty of mass to keep the breech closed until pressures drop to safe levels.

The ramp, which mimics the ramping on a standard AR's carrier, reduces the load on the hammer pin when the bolt pushes it back.  A flat bolt will stress the hammer pin pretty hard.  The legendary "9mm hammer" is essentially a speed-hammer with a smaller face, which doesn't put quite so much load on the hammer pin.  You can have that bolt ramped by any of a number of folks, such as ADCO, Mad Machinist's Macon Armory and others.  The reason to do this, for me, anyway, is two-fold.  First, ramping the bolt should lengthen the life of your hammer pin - and prevent a very serious stoppage at the range.  Second, I can use my SBR lower, which has a standard-profile hammer, with a 9mm setup and not worry about switching stuff around.

Someone asked about Uzi magazine modifications.  It's not that huge a deal to do, but M60 Joe converts them "properly" with consistent, correct AR mag catch slots.  And CDNN is currently showing Metalform 32 round (Colt OEM) 9mm AR mags in stock for $29.99 - that's a great deal.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:22:14 AM EDT
[#47]
took my 9mm PSA out for a test run today and was a total dud. When cycling rounds, the rounds kept hitting about 1/16th under the bottom edge of the barrel opening. That was using the metalform palmetto 32round mag. I did test it out hand feeding single rounds into the chamber and everything else worked fine but no luck getting rounds to feed. Picked up some dummy 9mm rounds this evening and been screwing with it to see if I can get it to feed and no luck. Every round just strikes below the bottom edge of the barrel. Not by a lot but enough to jam it. After looking at things, it seems the magwell adapter is just a little too low and I see no way to adjust it since it is top loading and presses down flush.  

Bummed I couldn't really test out the 9mm carbine today. Any ideas?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:23:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
took my 9mm PSA out for a test run today and was a total dud. When cycling rounds, the rounds kept hitting about 1/16th under the bottom edge of the barrel opening. That was using the metalform palmetto 32round mag. I did test it out hand feeding single rounds into the chamber and everything else worked fine but no luck getting rounds to feed. Picked up some dummy 9mm rounds this evening and been screwing with it to see if I can get it to feed and no luck. Every round just strikes below the bottom edge of the barrel. Not by a lot but enough to jam it. After looking at things, it seems the magwell adapter is just a little too low and I see no way to adjust it since it is top loading and presses down flush.  

View Quote

Were you having these problems while firing, or hand cycling (sounds like firing, but not sure)?  What kind of ammunition were you using?  Is your magazine all the way up in the adapter?  With the mag empty, look in through the ejection port and see where everything lines up.  The magazine follower should line up with the adapters feed ramp.  FMJs work best, since they sort of aim themselves through the feed ramps and into the barrel.

And did you lube the crap out of the gun?  If the bolt isn't going forward pretty fast it can mess up feeding.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:56:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Dropped the magwell adapter in a Bushmaster lower yesterday (tight fit) but can't get a magazine to lock in.  The magwell adapter is sitting flush with the top of the lower receiver and the magazine catch moves freely and protrudes into the magwell.  I'm using Metalform mags.  Anyone have any idea on how to fix this?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:21:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Were you having these problems while firing, or hand cycling (sounds like firing, but not sure)?  What kind of ammunition were you using?  Is your magazine all the way up in the adapter?  With the mag empty, look in through the ejection port and see where everything lines up.  The magazine follower should line up with the adapters feed ramp.  FMJs work best, since they sort of aim themselves through the feed ramps and into the barrel.

And did you lube the crap out of the gun?  If the bolt isn't going forward pretty fast it can mess up feeding.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No matter how I tried, I could not get rounds to cycle just by using the bolt. I had to drop a round into the barrel by hand and then the gun would shoot and eject the shell normally but feeding was a no go. I was using the palmetto 32 round mags (metal with metal follower). The mag was locking into the rifle but looked to me like it was a bit too low. I'm thinking about experimenting with building up the ramp on the mag block to see if that gets the rounds angled up into the barrel properly. If it does, then I know what the problem is.

The other thought is I wonder if I could use a dremel and do a little more bevel on the bottom of the barrel to make a bit of a ramp. I know I couldn't do too much since it could cause case bulge when firing but I think I could do a little and maybe that would fix my problem of nose of the round hitting just under the barrel.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top