Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/30/2014 11:23:56 PM EDT
Alright, I'm tempted to slap together a budget 7.5" 5.56 with pretty much the sole purpose of running a .22lr conversion. Do any of yall have experience in this department? I want just something stupid short to run around and toy with on the ranch and be able to pop cans and fuzzy critters.

How accurate would a 7.5" be? How about velocity? Range? From the ballistics I've looked at, it seems that itd be decent enough but data doesn't always transfer into the real world all that well..

And I know conversions aren't exactly ideal due to twist rate but I don't want to be limited to just .22lr on the upper. I'd also like it to be able to pull the role of a pdw (in 5.56) if the need arose. Plus it'd make a good trainer in the length.

So what do yall think?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:04:59 AM EDT
[#1]
You'll get dinner plate size patterns at 25 yards. If that's acceptable then go for it.

Dave in Florida
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:17:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You'll get dinner plate size patterns at 25 yards. If that's acceptable then go for it.

Dave in Florida
View Quote

Screw that... looks like it'll be dedicated in that case.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:23:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dave in Florida

If your building a 22 only upper you might consider 4 inches or so, suppression is easy if bulk pack stuff stays subsonic, which it should from 4 inches
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:43:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If your building a 22 only upper you might consider 4 inches or so, suppression is easy if bulk pack stuff stays subsonic, which it should from 4 inches
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dave in Florida

I would but no suppressor....
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:47:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dave in Florida

You'll get a suppressor eventually, you know you will, so go with a 4.5" barrel...

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 7:38:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Depends on the barrel and ammo.
I have a 7.5" Rainier Ultra Match I used with a CMMG India conversion.
I kept all rounds on a 3/4" stick on dot at 25 yards with Aguila 60 gr.

Dave N
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top