Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2014 8:20:42 PM EDT
Hi folks.
New to this forum, but some of you might "know me" from SnipersHide, Brian Enos, or Calguns. Just thought I would share my newest build.

I had been sitting on a JP GMR-13 / PSC-11 side charging upper and a DDLES Glock lower for awhile and decided to put it together for local steel shoots and fun. Being in CA kind of limits the fun factor for semi autos. Having to run a bullet button (mag lock device) and 10 round mags really sucks.
But the ingenuity of some folks here in CA produced the FRS-15 stock that does away with the "evil pistol grip" and magically you can do away with the bullet button and use old high cap mags.

While the looks might throw a lot of folks (everyone who has seen this rig in person says it looks MORE sinister then a regular configure AR) it really is quite comfortable to shoot.

Now the bad....I spent a LOT of time messing with the DDLES last round hold open. And after much adjusting...got it to run and lock back the bolt. But I have been through about 4-5 bolt catches. I can not figure out what the deal is.
There is only about 1/16" between the bolt and bolt catch at the rear most travel of the bolt. But it is still breaking bolt catches. I will be replacing the lower with a Colt pattern one soon. Until then I have bypassed the last round hold open...I see why JP and Lone Wolf do not offer a last round hold open on their Glock lowers.

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:10:50 PM EDT
[#1]
It's definitely interesting looking.  As a gun owner I can't imagine living in California.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:35:38 PM EDT
[#2]
...interesting...
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 2:30:51 AM EDT
[#3]
May need a heavier buffer if you are breaking bolt catches
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:01:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Yep...living in CA is "challenging" being a gun owner.

Had a Q-buffer in this rig....still broke bolt catches. The JP SCS limits the bolt travel just like the Q buffer. As stated above, there is only 1/16" or less over travel between the bolt and bolt catch. So logic would say there should not be enough momentum to be beating the bolt catch up like this. But it is happening.
 I have a friend in town who has built two of these and is suffering from the same problem. So not sure what the issue is, but I am over trying to make it work. Will be swapping out the lower for a Colt pattern shortly. Till then I have disabled the last round hold open.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:34:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yep...living in CA is "challenging" being a gun owner.

Had a Q-buffer in this rig....still broke bolt catches. The JP SCS limits the bolt travel just like the Q buffer. As stated above, there is only 1/16" or less over travel between the bolt and bolt catch. So logic would say there should not be enough momentum to be beating the bolt catch up like this. But it is happening.
 I have a friend in town who has built two of these and is suffering from the same problem. So not sure what the issue is, but I am over trying to make it work. Will be swapping out the lower for a Colt pattern shortly. Till then I have disabled the last round hold open.

View Quote

How quickly would the bolt catch break after installing a new one?
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:30:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Well it really is not the round count that gets it...it is the the b0lt catch engaging. So say 8-10 times and then it brakes. I was working on the last round hold open so I would only put 3-5 rounds in a mag.

It is rather frustrating. Just about the time I got the last round hold open dialed in....the bolt catch breaks.

The first few catches broke on the inside while the last few have broke at the roll pin junction.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:43:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well it really is not the round count that gets it...it is the the b0lt catch engaging. So say 8-10 times and then it brakes. I was working on the last round hold open so I would only put 3-5 rounds in a mag.

It is rather frustrating. Just about the time I got the last round hold open dialed in....the bolt catch breaks.

The first few catches broke on the inside while the last few have broke at the roll pin junction.
View Quote

Interesting. I've yet to live fire mine (hope to run it hard this weekend with a couple hundred rounds) but I've done some aggressive charging/locking bolt back since then. No problems locking back on an empty mag and no breaks yet but the real test will be this weekend. I forget how heavy the 9mm stuff is. There is some serious mass moving in these rigs.

I'm using the LWRC compact stock and Slash's heavy 9mm buffer for the stock. I'll report back after my trials.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:59:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes, please do post up your results.

Just manually charging the rifle I could get the bolt hold open to work and never had a problem with the bolt catch. But....while actually firing it that is when all the issues came up. Random bolt hold open with ammo still in the mag. Failure to lock back on empty mags.

once I got the last round hold open working.....lots of trial and error with the spring and tweaking the transfer bar....that is when the bolt catch breakage started happening.

And again, I started with Slash's Heavy Q buffer and it happened. I was hoping that switching to the JP SCS that would "fix" it. Nope. So for now I just by-passed the last round hold open and it runs like a top.
If I have to do mag changes, I just load one shy of capacity so I can seat the mags faster/easier.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 1:45:12 PM EDT
[#9]
CA, CT, MA, NY all suck real bad for being a freedom loving, gun owner.

Ill be looking to build a 9mm carbine soon and living in NY means it has to be a watered down version with either something like that frs stock, and no muzzle device, or have the magazine "fixed".   freaking lame!

good for you though for building a featureless rifle and working around the laws of that communist state the best you can.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top