Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/23/2014 9:14:44 PM EDT
I own a gun range and have two full auto post-86 dealer sample M16's.  I don't rent them for indoor range use because people just tear things up with them but we have had great success renting the full auto uzis in 9mm.  I would love to be able to offer the M16s for rent in 9mm but I'm not sure the best way to go about it.  I don't know much about 9mm ARs.  Do they offer one with the auto trip?  Is there one available that uses Uzi mags (would be nice since we have plenty)?  

Any info would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:09:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Colt may but I think you are going to be limited to a magwell block conversion and a ramped bolt from CMMG or JP. Not too up to date on what manufactors are doing post-samples. CMMG has a dedicated lower with colt pattern 9mm mag well that will i think accept a DIAS
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:13:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Shoot me an [email protected] and I'll do all I can to help you.....I have a new colt pattern magwell adaptor available soon.....and should have a prototype available soon......building the upper is no problem......and the new bolt I'm working with will have the trip for an auto sear. We are also looking at the production bolts being melonited.
Rudy
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:24:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I ran an Olympic 9mm shorty upper on my M16 for several years.  I never had any trouble with it using a mag block and Sten mags.

However, as a rental, if you use a mag block, your customer's are going to be dumping your mag block out in the dirt when they punch the standard mag button instead of the flapper on the block.
To prevent this from occurring, shave your standard mag button down so it sits flush with the receiver.

Tony

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:29:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I ran an Olympic 9mm shorty upper on my M16 for several years.  I never had any trouble with it using a mag block and Sten mags.

However, as a rental, if you use a mag block, your customer's are going to be dumping your mag block out in the dirt when they punch the standard mag button instead of the flapper on the block.
To prevent this from occurring, shave your standard mag button down so it sits flush with the receiver.

Tony

View Quote

Or better yet, install a bullet button.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 7:11:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Tony

View Quote

On Colt-style 9mm magazine blocks, the block is retained (pinned in factory Colts, tension screws in others), and the magazine catch button IS THE magazine catch.  Since the OP has Uzis, he probably has plenty of Uzi magazines - they take a new slot milled in the side for the M16's magazine catch, and they run great.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:36:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

On Colt-style 9mm magazine blocks, the block is retained (pinned in factory Colts, tension screws in others), and the magazine catch button IS THE magazine catch.  Since the OP has Uzis, he probably has plenty of Uzi magazines - they take a new slot milled in the side for the M16's magazine catch, and they run great.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tony

If I can run the Uzi magazines that would be very helpful.  Who makes a Colt style 9mm conversion or upper that works with an M16 full auto fire control group?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:03:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Hey Mad Machinist

Will a Colt SP1 lightning link work if the bolt is correctly machined as well as the lower with room for the piece. ( or something similar )
Like they used to use in the early colts to convert to full auto.
Just thought I ask to see what the options are as I have a CMMG dedicated lower in 9mm on my build.
Curious and intrigued.? I know the legalities...just looking for thoughts.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:29:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Lightening link MIGHT work IF the bolt was machined for it.......but the counter weight could cause an issue......I'd say the LL is a little impractical for a 9mm but it could be made to work. As soon as my SOT is in place I'm going to look at doing an open bolt FCG for a 9mm AR as a post sample.....

If you are gonna buy a registered LL....I'd suggest going for a RDIAS....will be much more reliable with a 9mm.....and the money is gonna be close to the same last time I looked.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:36:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If I can run the Uzi magazines that would be very helpful.  Who makes a Colt style 9mm conversion or upper that works with an M16 full auto fire control group?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tony

Colt pattern uppers in general run fine with M16 lowers.....Hahn Magwell adaptors are always a good place to start.....and just make sure you get your buffer right .....heavier and longer.......makes the gun run smoother.....
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:30:16 AM EDT
[#10]
You may get more replies from experienced users over in the Armory tab, in the M16 forum.

Best of luck with your enterprise.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:57:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You may get more replies from experienced users over in the Armory tab, in the M16 forum.

Best of luck with your enterprise.
View Quote

Excellent suggestion.  I have cross posted, thanks.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 2:08:37 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm running a RLL in a CMMG lower, RRA upper and a bolt modified by M60 Joe. It runs pretty good.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 12:31:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Hey Mad Machinist

Will a Colt SP1 lightning link work if the bolt is correctly machined as well as the lower with room for the piece. ( or something similar )
Just thought I ask to see what the options are as I have a CMMG dedicated lower in 9mm on my build.
Curious and intrigued.? I know the legalities...just looking for thoughts.

View Quote

Its been done before. As the post above states, M60joe does great work.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 3:19:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Run it with a KNS Re-enforcer if you do.  I've broken tabs off one LL using it in an Oly 9mm, and of the other LLs I know have broken tabs, most were being used in pistol caliber carbines at the time of the breakage.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 8:02:56 PM EDT
[#15]
It's often the case that blowback ARs are much harder on lower parts than gas guns.  Hammer pins are a big casualty, which is why some folks go with KNS pins, hoping that their pins won't break the way GI pins do.  I'm not surprised that LLs also get battered around in blowback guns.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top