Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2014 10:02:56 PM EDT
I currently have a Spike's ST-22 4.5" dedicated 22 upper for one of my SBR'd lowers.  I like it ok, but really don't like the rail on it… a 7" YHM quad rail.  It's too bulky and I don't care much for 7" hand guards.  I shoot it suppressed and am pretty sure I can get a 9" rail on it, or the SLR 8" Solo.  I'm also looking at the BCM 9" KMR (if it ever comes back into stock).  Anyway, I started thinking that if I was going to spend that much money on just a handguard, that I might just go ahead and get a 15-22 instead.  My 22 upper has to share the lower with another lower so it would be nice to have just a dedicated 22 AR.

So, any positives or negatives to either one?  If I stay with the 22 upper, any suggestions on the rail?  Thanks
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:45:17 PM EDT
[#1]
On the up side, the 15-22 magazine system is very reliable. So much so, that I now run them on my dedicated Rimfire ARs.
The 15-22 comes with some options too. I would say life is too short not to get yourself the 15-22 and the handguards!

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 2:43:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I went for the 15-22 instead of an upper, as you said the uppers cost almost as much as a 15-22.  You also wont have to mess with swapping the uppers around, which will probably lead you to building a lower for it and then you'll have another $150 in it.  Save yourself some time and money and get a complete rifle.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:19:45 PM EDT
[#3]
15-22 as the bolt release is operational. Yeah it's a light gun, but correct operations to build muscle memory is paramount
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:06:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Dedicated upper, better mag adapter, SW MP 15-22 Mags.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:12:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I have both. I never use my dedicated upper anymore. Yes the 15-22 is all nylon, but it just works. It's a blast to shoot. Mine eats everything including Remington ammo. Besides if you catch one on sale at Palmetto State Armory you can score one for $299.00. Mine was $317.00 shipped to me. A lot cheaper then a dedicated upper.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top