Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2014 6:19:01 PM EDT
I haven't had a chance to get to a range yet but with a new assembled pistol upper I wanted to try shooting some 22LR into a stack of magazines.  Never before tried shooting strait down with a conversion kit and Im gettingfailure to eject almost every other round. It's a CMMG kit by the way

Never had a problem from this kit before but the upper and barrel are new.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:23:04 PM EDT
[#1]
More detail, these failure to ejects leave me with a partially fed new round and a fired casing above it sticking against the charging handle.  I'll try a different lower tomorrow to see if the results are the same.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:48:04 PM EDT
[#2]
The plastic CMMG Charging handle was designed to help spent cases from getting stuck in the charging handle grooves.  On newer kits function can be affected a lot by ammo.  Most new kits are not reliable with standard velocity or target ammo.  Most user report the best function with Federal Bulk HV, Winchester 555 or 333 and CCI Mini Mags.  I have also had good luck with CCI Blazers in my conversion kit.   You might try polishing the chamber insert on your conversion kit.  I polish mine using Flitz on a barrel mop attached to a hand drill.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:55:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought I got to the bottom of it, I thought I found the BHO device was tagging the rounds as they came up in the mag.   I swapped lowers and instead of having a an empty and a semi fed round stuck in the upper, that lower had stove piped every round.  It has a bobbed hammer but both lowers have full strength hammer springs.

Am I expecting too much from this conversion kit?    I would have thought I could fire it at any angle but shooting down hill as in a staircase for example, I have ejection failures out the wazzoo.  I've misplaced the CMMG extractor, I am using the TACCOM firing pin, extractor, and plug and the CMMG BHO device

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:47:42 PM EDT
[#4]
The problem is in the extractor.......the shell is bumping off the round on the top of the magazine before it hits the ejector. this typically means that the tension is too light on the case

Tim
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:17:30 PM EDT
[#5]
To check back in, I pulled the kit apart and there is pretty much no way to improve the grip on the extractor.  I really wish I could find the original CMMG extractor to try again, I can't recall how it fit compared to the Taccom part.

But after making sure everything was cleaned, lubed, and free of rough spots I tried to run a magazine of Federal Lightnings 'blue box' and I got stove pipes, short strokes, and failure to reset the hammer.  I tried another mag of American Eagle 'red box' and blew thru the whole magazine without a hitch.

I've used Federal lightning in the past but that was in 11.5, 16.5, and 20" barrels.  Would it make sense that out of a 7.5" barrel that ammo is more picky?

Wanting as close to 100% reliability as possible, any tips for improving function with the weaker ammo?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:24:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
To check back in, I pulled the kit apart and there is pretty much no way to improve the grip on the extractor. I really wish I could find the original CMMG extractor to try again, I can't recall how it fit compared to the Taccom part.

But after making sure everything was cleaned, lubed, and free of rough spots I tried to run a magazine of Federal Lightnings 'blue box' and I got stove pipes, short strokes, and failure to reset the hammer.  I tried another mag of American Eagle 'red box' and blew thru the whole magazine without a hitch.

I've used Federal lightning in the past but that was in 11.5, 16.5, and 20" barrels.  Would it make sense that out of a 7.5" barrel that ammo is more picky?

Wanting as close to 100% reliability as possible, any tips for improving function with the weaker ammo?
View Quote

And what was it about the original part that made you think you needed to replace it?
If you can't find the part, go here: http://www.cmmginc.com/product_p/22ba475.htm
They won't have any problem finding a replacement for you and the price won't break the bank.

Ted
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:33:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought the Taccom reliability kit after the stock firing pin broke.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:33:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Ditch the BHOA and BHOA mags.
They are crap.
See what happens then.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 7:23:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bought the Taccom reliability kit after the stock firing pin broke.
View Quote

I have the Tactical Industries conversion and was having the same problems in normal shooting. The TACCOM kit fixed it.

Good luck.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top