Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2014 1:04:02 PM EDT
I'm putting together a dedicated 22 AR consisting of an Anderson lower and upper, CMMG barrel, bolt, and magazine.  I currently have it put together as a pistol as my SBR stamp is still in jail.  I took it out to test fire the other day and it jams about half the time.  I am using a standard charging handle and am thinking that might be the problem.  Is it required to use the CMMG charging handle with their bolt & barrel?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:23:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Was the problem that cases were getting stuck in the charge handle groove?
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:40:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 2:01:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

I have never used anything but the CMMG .22 charging handle and have never had that issue. Others have filled the channel with silicone or JB weld in their regular CH's too to keep this from happening.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 3:25:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I have never used anything but the CMMG .22 charging handle and have never had that issue. Others have filled the channel with silicone or JB weld in their regular CH's too to keep this from happening.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

I guess I'll order one.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 4:53:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

I filled mine with JB weld stick, to save some money and to use what I had...Has worked well for years now.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 5:55:07 AM EDT
[#6]
It must be a problem with getting empty cases stuck in the standard charging handles with short barrels. We have used standard Handles with no filling in both our CMMGs with long barrels from the start and have NEVER had a round stuck in the handles. (1000s and 1000s of rounds) One has a CMMG barrel, the other a Taccom ULW.

I would assume with the short barrels you just do not get the blow back force to cycle the bolt with enough authority for the rounds to eject properly? If not there must be something else wrong.  But ours will even cycle and work 100% reliable on even Standard Velocity CCIs.  I bet if you tried some hyper velocity stuff this would not happen. That is expensive though. What ammo are you using? Hopefully the handle will resolve the problem with the stub barrel.  Just my thoughts right or wrong. Good Luck

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:32:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It must be a problem with getting empty cases stuck in the standard charging handles with short barrels. We have used standard Handles with no filling in both our CMMGs with long barrels from the start and have NEVER had a round stuck in the handles. (1000s and 1000s of rounds) One has a CMMG barrel, the other a Taccom ULW.

I would assume with the short barrels you just do not get the blow back force to cycle the bolt with enough authority for the rounds to eject properly? If not there must be something else wrong.  But ours will even cycle and work 100% reliable on even Standard Velocity CCIs.  I bet if you tried some hyper velocity stuff this would not happen. That is expensive though. What ammo are you using? Hopefully the handle will resolve the problem with the stub barrel.  Just my thoughts right or wrong. Good Luck

View Quote

So far I've only tried CCI and Win, both standard velocity.  IIRC, the CCI did a little better as it might be a little hotter.  I also have a can in jail that I plan to keep on the gun full time.  Maybe that will solve the problem.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:35:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

It must be a problem with getting empty cases stuck in the standard charging handles with short barrels.

View Quote
no its usually a problem with the extractor being too tight. The shape pushed the round "up".

Link Posted: 11/16/2014 12:08:26 PM EDT
[#9]
finally ordered the CMMG charging handle and am still having jamming problems.  Fired cases appear to be ejecting.  It will sometimes run 7 or 8 rounds before jamming and sometimes only a couple.  Any suggestions appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 10:40:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
finally ordered the CMMG charging handle and am still having jamming problems.  Fired cases appear to be ejecting.  It will sometimes run 7 or 8 rounds before jamming and sometimes only a couple.  Any suggestions appreciated.
View Quote

I'm not sure that it will work for you, but try some Black Dog Machine magazines.

I have a 4" TACCOM bbl, bolt and reliability plug.  Running this in a VLTOR modular upper with no FA, Sparrow SS on the end.

Was a fucking jam-o-matic with CMMG mags.  Tried a Black Dog Machine mag and it runs freakin' great, even with a standard charging handle.  And I've had the same results with multiple mags from each brand and with different ammo.  It runs Federal bulk pack like a champ.

Hope this helps, I know the frustration.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 11:23:07 PM EDT
[#11]
We only use Black Dog drums and SW Mp 15 22 mags and both the cmmg bolts run flawlessley...
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 10:13:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm not sure that it will work for you, but try some Black Dog Machine magazines.

I have a 4" TACCOM bbl, bolt and reliability plug.  Running this in a VLTOR modular upper with no FA, Sparrow SS on the end.

Was a fucking jam-o-matic with CMMG mags.  Tried a Black Dog Machine mag and it runs freakin' great, even with a standard charging handle.  And I've had the same results with multiple mags from each brand and with different ammo.  It runs Federal bulk pack like a champ.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great, thanks.  I'll try a Black Dog mag.

Ordered one.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:39:50 PM EDT
[#13]
You have an extractor problem......not a charge handle problem. switching out the charge handle will not stop the shell from coming off the extractor too soon.

What is happening is that your extractor is not holding the shell when it is coming back and it is being knocked off by the shell below.......you need to increase the tension or somehow fit the extractor you have so that a shell will stay in place when you lightly shake the bolt. Now.....it can't be too tight, or the tension will stop the shell from going into battery

Tim
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 10:28:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You have an extractor problem......not a charge handle problem. switching out the charge handle will not stop the shell from coming off the extractor too soon.

What is happening is that your extractor is not holding the shell when it is coming back and it is being knocked off by the shell below.......you need to increase the tension or somehow fit the extractor you have so that a shell will stay in place when you lightly shake the bolt. Now.....it can't be too tight, or the tension will stop the shell from going into battery

Tim
View Quote

Thanks Tim.  I'll check it out.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 7:36:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:34:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I build .22 AR's and have a decent reputation for doiand see what happens.  ng so over here.
If your cases are getting thrown up into the charging handle area, then the problem isn't the charging handle (I use std handles on the ones I build).
The problem is most likely the extractor.
The easiest way to check this is to take the extractor out of the bolt and then try it. (It should run perfectly without it, as the extractor is only required to pull a live round from the chamber).
If that cures it then get an EDM cut aftermarket one as a replacement
View Quote

I tried my new black Dog mag yesterday and it did not help at all.  I'll temove the extractor next and see what happens.   Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 12:09:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I tried my new black Dog mag yesterday and it did not help at all.  I'll temove the extractor next and see what happens.   Thanks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I build .22 AR's and have a decent reputation for doiand see what happens.  ng so over here.
If your cases are getting thrown up into the charging handle area, then the problem isn't the charging handle (I use std handles on the ones I build).
The easiest way to check this is to take the extractor out of the bolt and then try it. (It should run perfectly without it, as the extractor is only required to pull a live round from the chamber).

Dang.  Sorry that didn't help.  

Now that Tim has chimed in I would listen to him.

At least you have an extra good mag!  
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 2:24:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just got an e-mail from CMMG.  They are sending me a new barrel collar.  Now we wait.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 6:45:25 PM EDT
[#19]
I received the new collar and tried it out today.  Runs like a top with both mags and a couple of different brands of ammo!  Now if my two stamps would just get here...
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top