Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2014 5:59:30 PM EDT
Looking to pick a Nikon P22 up for my sons 10th birthday in a couple of weeks for his .22 build.

Nikon Rimfire Scopes

I think I want to go with the 2-7x magnification vs the 3-9

The 2-7 offers a model with an extra turret - what does this mean & should I get that model instead?

What mount do I need for picatinny rails?

Does anyone know who has a really good deal on this scope?

Thank you!
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 6:11:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Cabela's has them on sale in store for $160 or same price on ebay with free shipping.  I'm not sure about an extra turret, but you should only need elevation and windage...

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 4:50:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Might I suggest the 3-9 Adjustable Objective?  My daughter got hers for ~$160 a while back though Amazon is higher right now:
Nikon Prostaff Target EFR

Adjustable Objective is nice for indoor 25yd ranges and then moves out to 100+ nicely....

Richard

ETA: I used Burris Signature Rings because I like the inserts - keeps scope tubes crisp and new
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:19:25 AM EDT
[#4]
What would dictate if I want the 2-7x or 3-9x?

Id imagine shooting would be 25-100 yards.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:43:40 AM EDT
[#5]
I found one locally at Walmart about a year ago for around 140.00. But have not seen any there since. Maybe yours would have one though.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:38:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Look at the field of view specification for each of the two scopes.  I'm thinking there
isn't going to be a hell of a lot of difference between them. At 25 yards 7X is O.K. on
steel or 6" paper targets.  But if your game involves accurate shooting at very small
bulls out to 100 yards - which generally is a study in frustration with .22lr - you're
going to need 36X.

Another thing you'll need to consider is that none of the Nikon scopes have their
parallax set under 50ft.  So what you ask?  Go to a store that sells the one you are interested in
and try to focus it at 25 yards. Not so sharp, is it?

Experience will be your best teacher. If you want small long range groups and your skill set
and gun can deliver, you'll need a much higher power than either 7 or 9. If you are mostly
a 25 yard shooter, you'll need a scope with parallax focus capability at that range.

Ted
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:58:15 PM EDT
[#7]
You need an adjustable Objective.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 4:41:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Look at the field of view specification for each of the two scopes.  I'm thinking there
isn't going to be a hell of a lot of difference between them. At 25 yards 7X is O.K. on
steel or 6" paper targets.  But if your game involves accurate shooting at very small
bulls out to 100 yards - which generally is a study in frustration with .22lr - you're
going to need 36X.

Another thing you'll need to consider is that none of the Nikon scopes have their
parallax set under 50ft.  So what you ask?  Go to a store that sells the one you are interested in

Experience will be your best teacher. If you want small long range groups and your skill set
and gun can deliver, you'll need a much higher power than either 7 or 9. If you are mostly
a 25 yard shooter, you'll need a scope with parallax focus capability at that range.

Ted
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
going to need 36X.

Ted

Ok, so I assume I will focus on shooting at 50 yards.  I only say 25 because that's what most indoor ranges are here and since i'm in cleveland, a lot of shooting will be done in winter time indoors.

I guess I just don't know what to do.  If shooting 100 yards isn't reasonable without a 36x scope, which I assume is a pretty penny, I will have to hold off on the scope for now.

I'm not sure what parallax focus means?  

Quoted:
You need an adjustable Objective.

Isn't the Nikon P22 adjustable?  

Sorry folks, I'm not too familiar when it comes to actual scopes and now really confused as to what to get.  I was pretty set on the Nikon P22, but not sure if it's the right scope for me?
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 11:09:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Google for parallax to get an explanation of what and how.  In short, a scope is set for a certain distance, and its optics are optimized for that distance.  Closer (and to a lesser extent, farther away) the error between where you see the reticle and where it "really" is becomes pronounced.  Most hunting scopes are set for 100yds, so if you routinely shoot closer (e.g. 25yds) then your Point Of Impact will be much more sensitive to your head position, etc, as the reticle will "move" more as you move your eye position.  

This is why we're all suggesting an "Adjustable Objective" or "Adjustable Focus" or "Variable Parallax" (all different names for the same basic thing) scope.  The P22 you're looking at is FIXED focus:
http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/Nikon-Products/Riflescopes/P-Rimfire-2-7x32-Nikoplex-with-Extra-Turret.html
"Parallax Setting - Other  50 yds"

So it's a decent compromise at 25yds and 100yds.  For not much difference in price, I suggested the Prostaff Target EFR (#6734):
http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/Nikon-Products/Product/Hunting-Optics/PROSTAFF-Target-EFR.html
"Parallax Setting - Other 50 yds - 8"

Interestingly enough, I notice the website says 50yds to Infinity, but the scope is marked with 10yds and 25yds in addition, so I think the online spec has a typo.  In any case, the rifle is deadly accurate at 25yds with the parallax set at 25.  Actually I just went and looked at the manual and it lists 10yds to Infinity.

I still suggest you look at the Prostaff Target EFR - it provides the features suggested in this thread with the exception of the super-high magnification.  I would argue for a youngster that 9X will be fine for the 100yd shooting he's likely to do - and if the glass becomes a limiting factor, you can always move him into a higher dollar scope.  Sure, a 30 or 40X would be nice for shooting dimes at 100yds, but for anything but serious competition, he'll be fine at 9X, IMO.  FWIW, you're looking at probably 4 to 6X the money for that kind of scope.  I got a closeout deal on a Bushnell Elite 6500 4.5-30 a while back for only ~2-3X what my daughter paid for her EFR, but you can't count on finding a deal on any given day.

Just my $0.02
Richard
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 3:14:43 AM EDT
[#10]
I appreciate the help and while I don't quite understand all of it yet, I will get the one you suggest.  I'm not worried about high magnification at this time.

I found two on Amazon, difference of about $40, but I can't tell the difference between the two?  Obviously I'd like to get the cheaper one, unless it doesn't do everything the other one/the one you suggest does?

Nikon Prostaff Target EFR 3-9x40 for $162

Nikon ProStaff Rimfire 3-9 x 40 Black Matte Riflescope (BDC 150) for $120

And I assume I need mounts, amazon suggest these as a combo:

AccuShot Premium 1-Inch Weaver Style See-Thru High-Pro Rings

What do you think, are those GTG or is there a better option?

ETA - Maybe these Nikon mounts instead? They're 4x the price, but whatever, if they're better I'll get them.  

Nikon P-Series Mount

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 2:02:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Bump...
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 5:13:55 PM EDT
[#12]
The cheaper one doesn't have the adjustable objective, so I'd still get the more expensive one.

I like the Burris Signature Zee rings, you probably can get away with Medium if it's a 10/22:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000V2Q92

I don't like cheap no-name rings, but in truth these days they're probably fine.  The nice thing about the Signature rings is the plastic insert prevents marring the scope (and allows offsetting it if you ever need that for long-range zeroing or whatever).

Those Nikon P-mounts are helpful on flattop ARs if you don't have a railed handguard.  My daughter's scope is on a 10/22 so not needed there.

HTH,
Richard
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 12:37:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Got it, thanks for the info.  I'll get the EFR version for $162.

I'll also probably end up just getting the Nikon mounts.  I do have a flat top upper too.

Link Posted: 1/11/2015 7:10:37 AM EDT
[#14]
I did not see anyone answer your question about the third turret.  The turret on the left side of the scope is to adjust Parallax to the distance you are shooting at.  With a .22 I would get the scope that allows you to eliminate Parallax and allow me to shoot at any range I may want to.

Lead Foot
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 2:19:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I did not see anyone answer your question about the third turret.  The turret on the left side of the scope is to adjust Parallax to the distance you are shooting at.  With a .22 I would get the scope that allows you to eliminate Parallax and allow me to shoot at any range I may want to.
View Quote

It's been a while since I looked, but I believe the "third turret" you refer to was actually an "extra turret" the OP asked about as the scope in question shipped with an interchangeable elevation turret which could be low-profile or "target" high-profile - swappable by the end user.  

No matter though as I agree with everything you said in general, and that's the reason I steered OP to the scope I did (in which the parallax happens to be adjusted at the objective lens instead of via a third turret).  

Richard
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:46:03 PM EDT
[#16]
The Nikon p22 is a fine scope for general purpose hunting.
You will not make the smallest of groups but for a plinker it will work good.
I have one on my Sig 522
One turret is for standard velocity the other is for high velocity

The Nikon efr has finer crosshairs and can get "lost" in the foliage in dark woods, it is a great scope for open fields but for a rifle that will see dark woods there are better choices.

Most rifle scopes with a screw on cap over the Objective end can be parallex adjusted to be suitable for rimfire by the user. Rimfire Central has a running thread dealing with this topic.
Fine crosshairs are great for target practice in perfect conditions however in the dark woods they leave a lot to be desired. All of my hunting rifles have standard duplex crosshairs.

Midway USA has the Redfield tac .22 for $119 with free shipping
It has mildot based reticle which might be too "buisy" for some. Parallex is set at 75 yards if I'm not mistaken.

Check out Sightron, Philippine or Japanese mfg. depending on the model and lots of reticle choices, many have adjustable objectives. Good glass for the money. Optics planet carries them just call and check inventory prior to ordering from them.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 2:09:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The Nikon p22 is a fine scope for general purpose hunting.
You will not make the smallest of groups but for a plinker it will work good.
I have one on my Sig 522
One turret is for standard velocity the other is for high velocity

The Nikon efr has finer crosshairs and can get "lost" in the foliage in dark woods, it is a great scope for open fields but for a rifle that will see dark woods there are better choices.

Most rifle scopes with a screw on cap over the Objective end can be parallex adjusted to be suitable for rimfire by the user. Rimfire Central has a running thread dealing with this topic.
Fine crosshairs are great for target practice in perfect conditions however in the dark woods they leave a lot to be desired. All of my hunting rifles have standard duplex crosshairs.

Midway USA has the Redfield tac .22 for $119 with free shipping
It has mildot based reticle which might be too "buisy" for some. Parallex is set at 75 yards if I'm not mistaken.

Check out Sightron, Philippine or Japanese mfg. depending on the model and lots of reticle choices, many have adjustable objectives. Good glass for the money. Optics planet carries them just call and check inventory prior to ordering from them.
View Quote

Is the mildot based recticle those hash marks on the crosshairs?

I watched a video on the Nikon EFR on Midway & they just have crosshairs, no has marks.

What is the point of these hash marks?  Me understanding that would determine if I want them or not.

I was pretty sold on the Nikon EFR and about to pull the trigger and honestly after watching the video and seeing how easy it it to adjust the parallax, I may just buy it anyways, but always open to consider other options.

We aren't hunters, but I always set up guns so that they could be used for hunting if need be and this .22 is no exception.  So if there is a scope like the Nikon EFR that has an easy to adjust parallax, is high quality glass for a reasonable price and has better crosshairs for target/plinking as well as hunting, I would prefer that type of a scope I think.

I'm lost in a needle of haystacks and totally unfamiliar with rifle scopes, so if anyone could really help point out a couple of specific ones that would be great.

If not I'll get the Nikon EFR.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:43:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Adding onto my last post, What's the difference between The 22 and 223 nikon scopes? Is the 223 just more durable? If that's the case would it be worth getting?
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top