Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2014 11:51:46 AM EDT
1) Is that all I need?  No BCG or anything else?  Just slap it on a lower and shoot?

2) Is that a good price?  I was shopping for BCG's and barrels and saw this and thought it would be fun.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 11:58:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
1) Is that all I need?  No BCG or anything else?  Just slap it on a lower and shoot?

2) Is that a good price?  I was shopping for BCG's and barrels and saw this and thought it would be fun.
View Quote

1 yes that's all you need.

2 yes it's a okay price. I don't think you'll find it any less elsewhere. I think most places have them at that price.

I've had one and it jammed allot. Most have had the same problem. I ended up selling mine and getting a S&W 15-22 and couldn't be happier.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 12:02:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I was also looking at the Mossberg International 715T .22 LR (A-2 style) for $169.  $169!!  I probably spent that on junk food and scratch-offs at 7-11 over the last month or three.  

Getting an entire gun to give to your 10yr old in a few years seems like a good deal versus just the upper.  But the Mossberg had so many mixed reviews I'm hesitant.

Anyway, I went for a BCG and Barrel, now I'm considering one of those.... PSA and their daily deals suck.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 12:10:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was also looking at the Mossberg International 715T .22 LR (A-2 style) for $169.  $169!!  I probably spent that on junk food and scratch-offs at 7-11 over the last month or three.  

Getting an entire gun to give to your 10yr old in a few years seems like a good deal versus just the upper.  But the Mossberg had so many mixed reviews I'm hesitant.

Anyway, I went for a BCG and Barrel, now I'm considering one of those.... PSA and their daily deals suck.  
View Quote

The Mossberg isn't really an "AR" it's one of their other rimfire rifles dressed up as an AR, if that makes any difference to you. I don't think it'll share any parts
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 12:18:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The Mossberg isn't really an "AR" it's one of their other rimfire rifles dressed up as an AR, if that makes any difference to you. I don't think it'll share any parts
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, I got that.  My son wants a "gun like dad's".  Ah.. to still be cool in your kids' eyes.  I gotta enjoy these moments.  

I just don't know if it's a POS or not.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 12:28:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote
You may hold off for Black Friday...I anticipate the S&W MP22 will drop to $299...maybe lower...

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 5:21:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I have one and have had no issues...
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 6:45:54 AM EDT
[#7]
I bought one.
Fired more than a thousand rounds through it, no issues other than some dud .22s but that is to be expected  with .22s in any firearm.
I liked it so much I bought a 2nd one for my daughter.
Cant beat the price for Dad and Daughter fun.

OK so that being said the bolt looks terrible.
Imagine if you will a bolt produced by drunken clowns with bees in their pants using rocks as tools and you can get an idea of the look of the bolt.
But it works just fine, go figure.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 8:23:29 AM EDT
[#8]
It may be alright for a first upper for a kid, But I do not have alot of confidence in it for the long run. I do not think it would be something he could pass on to his kid.

I would get him the SW MP22 before that ATI. But I did neither for my kids. I just went with a good quality upper from the likes of CMMG from the start. I studied the SW MP22 and these cheaper ones and decided against them. Our two dedicated CMMG uppers are in for the long haul. Just alot better quality than the cheaper stuff in my opinion.

Both our CMMGs run 100% flawless on any ammo we run through them.

The SW is a fine little rifle from what I have read. But I did not like the plastic, nor the proprietary design of them. Wanted a upper that duplicated the Big Brother faithfully.

You do not want the kid getting discouraged with a a Firearm. I think eventually and likely from the get go, that is what he will get from the ATI.  Maybe I am wrong. But I just do not think that ATI will have long term durability. And likely no parts or customer support in the long run either.  It may have problems right out of the box likely. You may get one that works. You may not.

Just my two cents worth. Take it for what it is worth to you.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 8:32:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
OK so that being said the bolt looks terrible.
Imagine if you will a bolt produced by drunken clowns with bees in their pants using rocks as tools and you can get an idea of the look of the bolt.
But it works just fine, go figure.
View Quote

Ditto - I did strip mine thoroughly and soak it with EEZOX (my favorite CLP type product) before first firing, but it runs fabulously so far.  The flash hider is just pinned on, apparently not threaded barrel.  FSB similarly cheesy, but again - it's $200!  Note it's a plastic upper and the charging handle is tweaked for that upper, so you may not be able to run your favorite CH without dremmel work.  

Runs great, shoots quite well, I gave it two thumbs up at $240 when CDNN had them for that price (with 20-something round magazine) - even more so at $200.

Richard
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 2:25:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Just FYI PSA also has a S&W MP15-22 for $300, IMHO a better rifle and a complete rifle for only $100 more.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 4:03:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, I see that.  I'm trying hard not to spend any more money - I had to snag a few "daily deals".  I picked up my first 9mm - and non-Glock at that!  Going to be strange having to purchase something other than .40 for the first time in 10 years.

I'm going to resist the urge and watch prices.  Maybe I'll grab one on sale?
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 5:19:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I used on each of these to build a rifle for my nephew.  ( 2ND gen) The thing runs like a Swiss watch.  I did swap the barrel and bolt over to a PSA blemished upper, and threw away the goofy polymer upper.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 5:54:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I'll never buy one of these again.  So much grief getting it to run.  One of the bolts even broke into pieces.  Got a new bolt in via the guy i bought it from, and swapped all the guts into a yhm upper.  It runs very reliably now, but for all that trouble, The next upper is only going to be built with quality parts.  Screw ATI/Chiappa.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:51:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'll never buy one of these again.  So much grief getting it to run.  One of the bolts even broke into pieces.  Got a new bolt in via the guy i bought it from, and swapped all the guts into a yhm upper.  It runs very reliably now, but for all that trouble, The next upper is only going to be built with quality parts.  Screw ATI/Chiappa.
View Quote

We have heard this more than a few times. The Chiappa was a cheap copy of a Tactical Solutions design. TS built theirs very well, in typical TS ultra fine machining fashion. The cheap copy was just that....a cheap copy. Some had OK luck with them, many did not.

There is a reason they are so cheap...same for the Mossburg......remember you get what you pay for.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top