Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2014 11:12:44 AM EDT
My spectre finally got approved after a long 4.5 months. I never put a rail on my 4.5in upper because I was just going to wait until I had the suppressor in hand, which made sense to me. Anyway, I'm guessing the norm is a 7in carbine rail, and that the can would stick out an inch or so. I just want to be sure if I need to remove the can for cleaning, that it won't be an issue if the endcap sticks. Also, I don't want to spend $200 on a rail for a plinking 22 when I'm saving for a 14.5" 5.56 barrel and I have a kid on the way.

Suggestions? Pics are welcome.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:31:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Here is a 7" Samson rail on a 4" barrel with a HTA Kestrel 556:

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:43:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Look at the Midwest industries gen 2 ss rail. Good option and sub $140 for the 7". Also many don't like it but I used. 4.5" suppressed .22 ar with a 7" utg pro rail and it was solid as a rock. Those are about $80 for carbine length I believe.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:21:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Consider a mini.  I got mine from Yankee Hill Machine.  Cleaning is easier and if you do have an issue with the suppressor adapter, it's right there.   But, if you want a carbine length they have those also and for a good price.

Another benefit of a mini is that the rifle will fit in a small bag.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:42:59 PM EDT
[#4]
what's the barrel length on that gun?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:47:32 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

My spectre finally got approved after a long 4.5 months. I never put a rail on my 4.5in upper because I was just going to wait until I had the suppressor in hand, which made sense to me. Anyway, I'm guessing the norm is a 7in carbine rail, and that the can would stick out an inch or so. I just want to be sure if I need to remove the can for cleaning, that it won't be an issue if the endcap sticks. Also, I don't want to spend $200 on a rail for a plinking 22 when I'm saving for a 14.5" 5.56 barrel and I have a kid on the way.

View Quote

Same thing I'm toying with...

4.5" threaded Adco Barrel + Octane 45 HD Can, only plan to shoot suppresed, but  want to be able to remove the can to go on other devices....

I'm leaning towards the Samson like the one in the second post...

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 3:31:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

4.5" threaded Adco Barrel + Octane 45 HD Can, only plan to shoot suppresed, but  want to be able to remove the can to go on other devices....

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Is the ID of the Samson large enough for the Octane?

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 3:46:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmm good question...

Samson ID:  1.56" Octane 45 HD OD 1.375"  .185 difference... THats pretty dang close...

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:32:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm kind of liking the mini rail look, and I'll probably put a folding stock on it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:34:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Hmm good question...

Samson ID:  1.56" Octane 45 HD OD 1.375"  .185 difference... THats pretty dang close...

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmm good question...

It may get a bit warm depending on how fast you shoot...  

Also, why not just get a 22 can?  The Octane seems to be a bit of overkill...
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:34:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmm good question...

Also, why not just get a 22 can?  The Octane seems to be a bit of overkill...
Why, I'll tell you why...  Cause I suck at the readin skillz, I missed the part in the OPs post where he said .22....

I'm planing a 9mm AR SBR build, have the Octane 45 in Jail and the mostly the thread title caught my attention... Looking at different rails to get the look I want and the ability to take the can off to use on several other hosts...  

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:06:59 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Why, I'll tell you why...  Cause I suck at the readin skillz, I missed the part in the OPs post where he said .22....

I'm planing a 9mm AR SBR build, have the Octane 45 in Jail and the mostly the thread title caught my attention... Looking at different rails to get the look I want and the ability to take the can off to use on several other hosts...  

View Quote
I have an Octane in NFA hell as well.  I got the 3 lug adapter and a TROS 5" 3 lug barrel for a 9mm SBR build.  The barrel was just delivered, so Mark may have a few in stock if you're interested.  IMO, if you're going to run the can under a rail, 3 lug is the way to go.  The Octane I purchased will come with a 13.5x1LH mount for my pistol use...

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:44:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I have an Octane in NFA hell as well.  I got the 3 lug adapter and a TROS 5" 3 lug barrel for a 9mm SBR build.  The barrel was just delivered, so Mark may have a few in stock if you're interested.  IMO, if you're going to run the can under a rail, 3 lug is the way to go.  The Octane I purchased will come with a 13.5x1LH mount for my pistol use...  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

yea, already have the Adco 4.5"...  I figure as long as its not too far under the rail, I can take it off when I want to use it on a pistol..  

Next year, I may order a dedicated Octane 9mm for it...

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:58:12 PM EDT
[#13]
what's the barrel length on that gun?
View Quote

That is a 5 inch Tros barrel with the triple locking lugs.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:11:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Hmm good question...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmm good question...

That picture above was with a HTA Kestrel 556 can which has an OD of 1.50... And it clears... Maybe a few scrapes here and there.. Runs really nice.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:20:13 PM EDT
[#15]
I would think a 7" rail is what you need for your 22 with a 4.5" barrel and your can.

My 9mm has a 4.5" barrel and a 9" rail with my Octane 45. I felt that the 7" rail was too short and didn't cover enough of the suppressor.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 1:37:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Some things to remember.
A 22 barrel stock about an inch further into the receiver then a standard 5.56.
You can use some kind of thread locker to keep the end cap on the tube so it won't get stuck on the barrel.

I have a TACCOM 4" barrel and shoot with a Huntertown Kestrel 22 can. I used low strength thread locker to attach the rear end cap to the tube so I don't have to worry about it getting stuck. I removed it once to do a deep clean and less then a min with a torch and it broke free.

Here is a photo of my set up.

It is a TACCOM upper, 4" all steel barrel, MI SS Gen 2 7" hand guard, with the Huntertown Kestrel 22.

MAHA
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:53:36 PM EDT
[#17]
I'd look at the Hogue free float tube for suppressor equipped ARs. I'm using the carbine length rail on my 4.5" CMMG .22LR barreled upper. The nice thing is that the diameter of the tube will fit an octane 9 beautifully and the tube portion screws onto the barrel nut allowing easy removal of the tube to clean your barrel. It is a wee bit on the large size (diameter) but is great for easy access to the barrel and is pretty inexpensive.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:11:11 AM EDT
[#18]
I decided to go with a 7in rail. I'll post pics when I finish.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 9:39:16 AM EDT
[#19]
And here's the end result
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 10:30:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Looks good!  You need a riser on that optic!
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 10:50:12 AM EDT
[#21]
I know, I'm working on it. I forgot to get one when I ordered the optic.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top