Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/23/2014 7:09:36 PM EDT

DI45 built by Ron on a WAR upper.  He does amazing work.  Quickly got this running despite its unique gas system.   I just got it back and haven't had a chance to take it out yet... hopefully I'll be able to this weekend.  It'll be interesting to see if turning the gas off significantly reduces how loud it is.

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:28:56 PM EDT
[#1]
What rear sight is that?
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:33:15 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What rear sight is that?

View Quote
It's a Centurion Arms rear sight which is pretty much just an HK drum sight on a riser at AR-height.

...and also it was the only spare rear BUIS I had floating around, haha.  I say that because it's a bit unorthodox to use a combo of HK and M4 sights.  However, I was surprised to find that with the A2 sight at the carbine position, it actually fits the V-notch of the HK sight rather well.

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:28:16 AM EDT
[#3]
I'll second the fact that Ron does amazing work. I have a pistol length 45 that he built
for me. It's set up similarly to yours but without the can. I have a couple Glock / Kriss
mags for high capacity using a Lone Wolf 9mm Lower that Ron modified for the larger Glock
Mags but I can use even the Glock 30 magazines. It's absolutely my favorite home defense weapon.

Dave in Florida
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:51:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Did Ron have to modify the valve in the WAR or did it work right out of the box?
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 9:34:53 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Did Ron have to modify the valve in the WAR or did it work right out of the box?
View Quote

The valve worked for my purposes right out of the box.  My criteria was simply that it would cycle unsuppressed on the full open setting.  My intent was to have the gas either on or off ("off” is leaving the valve between port settings).  Ron said during his test firing that it was almost cycling on the reduced gas position, as well.  When I get the chance to take it out, I’ll see if the suppressor adds enough backpressure to utilize the reduced port size.  

I suppose the main challenges for Ron would have been to overcome any leakage that occurs around the valve and manufacturing a new gas tube that fits the WAR upper. I was just surprised with how fast he got it turned around and running.

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 9:40:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I suppose the main challenges for Ron would have been to overcome any leakage that occurs around the valve and manufacturing a new gas tube that fits the WAR upper. I was just surprised with how fast he got it turned around and running.

View Quote

All he likely had to do was chop the gas tube to length and use his normal gas block.  I believe the end of the tube that goes into the WAR upper is just a standard gas tube diameter without the reduced "mushroom" section at the end.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 9:58:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the kind words.
The tube has a slight reduction at the end to fit in the gas valve. The one that they suplied was a loose fit. I made a gas tube that made it a press fit. I also made it touch the back of the valve & the shoulder of the gas tube contact the outside of the valve. In the end a couple contact points to stop gas leakage.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 10:29:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The tube has a slight reduction at the end to fit in the gas valve. The one that they suplied was a loose fit. I made a gas tube that made it a press fit. I also made it touch the back of the valve & the shoulder of the gas tube contact the outside of the valve. In the end a couple contact points to stop gas leakage.
View Quote

Gotcha.  Do you normally make your own gas tubes from scratch?  Do you use standard diameter tubes or something different?
I built my .45 with a shortened standard tube, but for my bufferless stuff, where I need it to be a type of secondary guide rod, I use a 1/4" OD hard ejector sleeve.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:27:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Got a chance to put some rounds through it this weekend.  I was shooting Silver Bear 230gr.  It functioned well on the full open gas setting.  With the can on and the reduced gas port, the action would lightly cycle but invariably result in a stove pipe.  Perhaps hotter ammo would make the reduced setting work.   However, I doubt it would be necessary...  even on the full gas setting there was no gas to the face.  In regards to the gas "off" position, it did result in knocking off a decibel or two.  You can sort of hear the difference in the video (the first 3 shots are full gas and the last three are gas off)... the difference was a bit more noticeable in person.  Also, we were shooting next to a wall, which may have had an effect on sound.  

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:22:10 AM EDT
[#10]
What length barrel?  I am thinking that a 45 AR is my next build.

MAHA
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:11:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Got a chance to put some rounds through it this weekend.  I was shooting Silver Bear 230gr.  It functioned well on the full open gas setting.  With the can on and the reduced gas port, the action would lightly cycle but invariably result in a stove pipe.  Perhaps hotter ammo would make the reduced setting work.   However, I doubt it would be necessary...  even on the full gas setting there was no gas to the face.  In regards to the gas "off" position, it did result in knocking off a decibel or two.  You can sort of hear the difference in the video (the first 3 shots are full gas and the last three are gas off)... the difference was a bit more noticeable in person.  Also, we were shooting next to a wall, which may have had an effect on sound.  

http://youtu.be/ojuywKgBcG0

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

http://youtu.be/ojuywKgBcG0

If your gas port is the corect size there is no real port noise. It sounds louder to shooter because you hear the spring/buffer cycle. The gun presed into your jaw & the sound/vibration is transmitted to your ear. Not an expert but that is how I see it. For a real test I always have someone else shoot it & listen from a few feet away. If I hear a pop from the action the gun is running too hot. Not an issue with my 45s.
Any obstructions around the supressor will add sound bounceback. So will humidity.
With the gas off it will be a little quieter. I think its becase all the pressure/heat goes through the can.

Quoted:
What length barrel?  I am thinking that a 45 AR is my next build.

MAHA

10.5".
I build a ton of 7.5' uppers for supressed use but if you can deal with a longer brl it will be a little/alot quieter depending on caliber. Longer brl means lower muzzle pressure for the can to deal with & alot less unburnt powder producing heat.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 12:48:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:37:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I got one of Ron's first DI45 years ago. Mine runs great. F/A is so smooth. Totally opposite of the 9mm blowback AR. No comparison.
Ron is always cool to deal with.  The new billet lowers are GTG.
http://i1324.photobucket.com/albums/u601/SLRrifleworks/DSC_67012_zps35de203f.jpg
View Quote

100% Jealous right now
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 10:38:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Gotcha.  Do you normally make your own gas tubes from scratch?  Do you use standard diameter tubes or something different?
I built my .45 with a shortened standard tube, but for my bufferless stuff, where I need it to be a type of secondary guide rod, I use a 1/4" OD hard ejector sleeve.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry I missed this. I use std gas tube but make 4 out of a rifle tube.

Quoted:
I got one of Ron's first DI45 years ago. Mine runs great. F/A is so smooth. Totally opposite of the 9mm blowback AR. No comparison.
http://i1324.photobucket.com/albums/u601/SLRrifleworks/DSC_67012_zps35de203f.jpg

Thanks Todd. The lowers realy turned out nice & I am yet to have to do anything to a mag but cut the mag catch.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 1:04:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:37:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Significant enough to offload my M11/9 with Lage Max-31mkII for a RR or DIAS?
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:22:04 PM EDT
[#17]
That is a toughie........................ I build pistol caliber uppers (DI and Blowback) for a living..........and love the platform......but the Lage is a beast as well......I'd go semi and see how I liked it .....my policy is once it is in my personal safe....it's MINE For new FA toys....take a loan.......I guarantee it'll appreciate ....you buy a new car and expect to loose 60 cents on the dollar after 5 years......buy full auto and it will have appreciated after 5 years.......they are toys yes....but they are also a very sound investment.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 8:26:34 PM EDT
[#18]
That's an incredibly cool build. I had considered doing this but changed plans because WAR uppers were back ordered. :/

Glad someone else made it work!
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top