Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/17/2014 7:15:24 PM EDT
Well, I was just going to get a RRA 9mm upper with the gas deflector but saw that a lot of the build pics show a VLTOR MUR1 for their builds.  So I thought maybe I'd go that route.  Then I read a thread about needing the gas deflector  to protect yourself from gas-in-the face.  I'm a lefty and will be shooting this gun mostly if not entirely suppressed.  I assume that means back pressure and gas coming from the upper is really a concern.  Any wisdom or advice for what upper to use.  I obviously don't want or need a FA  on the uppe and assumed that I only needed a brass deflector.  I liked the look of the VLTOR upper but am reconsidering now that I read about the gas issues.  I'm inclined to stick with the RRA upper in light of this.  Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Cheers623
DVC
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:44:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Tagged.
I have a mega upper with out a FA, deflector or ejection port cover I  was going to use.

Eta: with a 4.5 barrel suppressed

Didnt think of the gas shield...

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:59:59 PM EDT
[#2]
My plan is to just use an upper w/o the FA, use 147gr ammo, and see how it goes...
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:49:38 PM EDT
[#3]
So far, my Vltor mur. Isn't giving me a problem suppressed with 147 grain.  Maybe because I'm using an octane 45 on a 9 mm.  Gas didn't seem to be that much
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:10:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm using a Sun Devil upper with no FA or brass deflector, but it does have an ejection port cover so you can attach the 9mm gas deflector.  The 556 brass deflector isn't going to do anything on a 9mm to block gas.  

I don't have the gas deflector installed in this pic.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:19:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a couple thousand rounds through this one, MUR-1S, integral suppressor, no gas deflector.  Never had any issues with gas.  I'm not a lefty, but I am left eye dominant and shoot about 40% of the time from the left side.  I shoot reloads tailored to this gun, 147gr FMJ 1050 fps VV N330 powder.  Only have a couple dozen other rounds through it, but don't recall any gas issues with them either.

Old picture before it was finished.

Recent picture.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:33:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a couple thousand rounds through this one, MUR-1S, integral suppressor, no gas deflector.  Never had any issues with gas.  I'm not a lefty, but I am left eye dominant and shoot about 40% of the time from the left side.  I shoot reloads tailored to this gun, 147gr FMJ 1050 fps VV N330 powder.  Only have a couple dozen other rounds through it, but don't recall any gas issues with them either.

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z110/Howlin_Mad_pics/ARs/9mmsbr1.jpg

Recent picture.

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z110/Howlin_Mad_pics/ARs/9mmsbr2.jpg

View Quote

That's pretty sweet, where did you get the integral barrel?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:02:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm using a Sun Devil upper with no FA or brass deflector, but it does have an ejection port cover so you can attach the 9mm gas deflector.  The 556 brass deflector isn't going to do anything on a 9mm to block gas.  

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1424/13602099/24570561/409942651.jpg
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1424/13602099/24383929/409723313.jpg
View Quote

Sundevil upper with CMMG deflector:

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:36:11 AM EDT
[#8]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-ze5ETXS-DAQ/Uy24_rVa1mI/AAAAAAAAbT8/zmZTahsFJq4/s800/IMG_0229_DPP.JPG

Where did you get your deflector and ejection port door from?  I have tried to different ones and cannot get them both to fit at the same time, the rod just doesn't want to go into the second hole.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:20:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Where did you get your deflector and ejection port door from?  I have tried to different ones and cannot get them both to fit at the same time, the rod just doesn't want to go into the second hole.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-ze5ETXS-DAQ/Uy24_rVa1mI/AAAAAAAAbT8/zmZTahsFJq4/s800/IMG_0229_DPP.JPG

Pricey but very easy to install......no c-clip needed, very secure and works well:  http://www.cmmginc.com/product_p/55ba530.htm
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:12:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I scored a Colt 635 upper here off the EE.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:28:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z110/Howlin_Mad_pics/ARs/9mmsbr1.jpg

Recent picture.

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z110/Howlin_Mad_pics/ARs/9mmsbr2.jpg

It's from SRT Arms up in Cave Creek AZ.  6.5" ported barrel from a cut down Colt SMG barrel, 13" overall, yes a two stamp gun.  He also makes a 16" version.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:24:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Just curious...how much was the Sun Devil upper receiver.....looks like some of the original 100 Tactical Machining uppers Jimmy made when he first started....I think I still have three of them......
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:23:16 AM EDT
[#13]
I, like several others, am running a Sun Devil billet, slick side upper on my DDLES build (I just finished it and have yet to post pictures). I love the way it looks with the lower. I don't plan to run the gas deflector as I am a righty and hate how they look. If I wouldn't have found the Sun Devil, I would have gone with the Vltor.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:18:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Just curious...how much was the Sun Devil upper receiver.....looks like some of the original 100 Tactical Machining uppers Jimmy made when he first started....I think I still have three of them......
View Quote

I paid either $150 or 160 shipped for mine.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 7:54:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Arizona Armory has them for about $150 shipped. I got mine from Quentin Tactical for $180 shipped.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:31:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Note that the Quentin Defense upper is similar to the Sundevil upper but with one big difference.  The SD upper will only work with larger ID handguards  with anti-rotation tabs like the BAR from Seekins and Spikes.  The forward part of the SD upper has a bit too much material to work with smaller ID handguards with anti rotation tabs.  The QD upper removed this extra material so most if not all handgards will work.

QD top; SD bottom:
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:26:09 PM EDT
[#17]
I was gonna post a similar thread. I plan to pick up a QC10 glock lower, and im leaning towards a sun devil slickside upper.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:16:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Boy, you guys are hard on wallets!  This is a great post that changed my mind about getting an RRA complete upper. I was simply planning on getting one of those to mate to my DDLES lower until I saw the Sundevil.  It looks outstanding, especially with the CMMG deflector.  Does anyone know if the Sundevil upper will work with a RRA Aluminum Free Float Handguard (as pictured on RRAs website)?  That's what I'd now like to go with.  
One further note:  I just visited Sundevil's website and didn't see any 9mm uppers.  Maybe the site isn't totally updated?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:02:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Boy, you guys are hard on wallets!  This is a great post that changed my mind about getting an RRA complete upper. I was simply planning on getting one of those to mate to my DDLES lower until I saw the Sundevil.  It looks outstanding, especially with the CMMG deflector.  Does anyone know if the Sundevil upper will work with a RRA Aluminum Free Float Handguard (as pictured on RRAs website)?  That's what I'd now like to go with.  
One further note:  I just visited Sundevil's website and didn't see any 9mm uppers.  Maybe the site isn't totally updated?
View Quote

The Sundevil or QD upper can be used for 223/556/9mm/22LR....so there is no SD or QD upper specifically made for 9mm.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:18:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The Sundevil or QD upper can be used for 223/556/9mm/22LR....so there is no SD or QD upper specifically made for 9mm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They aren't 9mm specific, they just happen to work very well for that application.  I got mine from here, it's about 1/4 way down the page.  The website is kinda minimal so you'll have to call and do the payment over the phone, but it's the cheapest I've found it and it was shipped the next day.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 7:23:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks.  There are a few more questions that come to mind now that the SD Upper idea won't exit my brain.  I'll list them here and the knowledgeable readers will hopefully provide some answers:

1) If I use the SD Upper combined with a CMMG gas deflector (like seattlite's), doe the ejection port cover have to be shortened so it can pop open?  (I'm totally new to 9mm ARs and have never seen one in the flesh).
2) As for the upper internals and barrel, which manufacturer would you recommend buying or are they all pretty much the same as far as quality and compatibility across the brands?
3) Are ramped bolts available for purchase?  I've been reading about ADCO who offers the ramping service but buying one ramped would simplify matters....
4) Any suggestions for a good AR builder to assemble all the parts?  I not a gun mechanic and wouldn't wanna fudge it!
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 10:04:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Thanks.  There are a few more questions that come to mind now that the SD Upper idea won't exit my brain.  I'll list them here and the knowledgeable readers will hopefully provide some answers:

1) If I use the SD Upper combined with a CMMG gas deflector (like seattlite's), doe the ejection port cover have to be shortened so it can pop open?  (I'm totally new to 9mm ARs and have never seen one in the flesh).
2) As for the upper internals and barrel, which manufacturer would you recommend buying or are they all pretty much the same as far as quality and compatibility across the brands?
3) Are ramped bolts available for purchase?  I've been reading about ADCO who offers the ramping service but buying one ramped would simplify matters....
4) Any suggestions for a good AR builder to assemble all the parts?  I not a gun mechanic and wouldn't wanna fudge it!
View Quote

1) I bought this one from CMMG, its the same one seattlite posted.  It's a quick disconnect type and it fit perfectly as is.
2) My barrel is from ADCO, it's a nice barrel and very reasonably priced.  TROS is another option, but you will be waiting many months for it.
3) CMMG and JP both make ramped bolts, I went with the JP and I am also using their 9mm silent capture spring.
4) Save the money and do it yourself.  It's super easy, more so than a regular AR.  No gas system to line up, no forward assist to install.  If you can change a light bulb then you can probably build one of these.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 3:26:58 PM EDT
[#23]
@dvp18:  Your response was a good one and I thank you for it.  Here are some further comments/questions for you or any one else to respond to:

With regards to your CMMG gas deflector info: I saw your earlier post regarding in (as well as seattlite's pic showing it) and understand that it is a quick disconnect type but HOW does it attach?  By that I mean, do you have do drill holes?  Like I had said, I've never seen a 9mm AR in person, so I'm not sure if they all (Colt, RRA, etc) have gas deflectors that are machined into the upper receiver.  That's why I asked about the ejection port cover and whether it has to be shortened.  By the looks of seattlite's, I would conclude that the ejection port cover is short.

I should have said that the barrel length I've decided to go with will be 10.5" using a RRA aluminum free float handguard and I will not be running it suppressed.  Speaking of RRA, they mention their 10.5" barrel is chrome lined.  I like that thought and will probably go with it for that reason (unless other companies offer chrome lined ones too, then it wouldn't matter).  

JP bolts look really nice and I may go with one.

Last thought and one I completely forgot about.  I'll want the option of open sights and would like to have folding ones.  The rear sights won't be an issue since they can mount on the rail but what about front sights?    What do they mount to?

I appreciate any and all input.  At this point in the game it's better to measure three times and cut once!

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 7:42:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
@dvp18:  Your response was a good one and I thank you for it.  Here are some further comments/questions for you or any one else to respond to:

[b]With regards to your CMMG gas deflector info: I saw your earlier post regarding in (as well as seattlite's pic showing it) and understand that it is a quick disconnect type but HOW does it attach?  By that I mean, do you have do drill holes?  Like I had said, I've never seen a 9mm AR in person, so I'm not sure if they all (Colt, RRA, etc) have gas deflectors that are machined into the upper receiver.  That's why I asked about the ejection port cover and whether it has to be shortened.  By the looks of seattlite's, I would conclude that the ejection port cover is short.[b]

I should have said that the barrel length I've decided to go with will be 10.5" using a RRA aluminum free float handguard and I will not be running it suppressed.  Speaking of RRA, they mention their 10.5" barrel is chrome lined.  I like that thought and will probably go with it for that reason (unless other companies offer chrome lined ones too, then it wouldn't matter).  

Last thought and one I completely forgot about.  I'll want the option of open sights and would like to have folding ones.  The rear sights won't be an issue since they can mount on the rail but what about front sights?    What do they mount to?

I appreciate any and all input.  At this point in the game it's better to measure three times and cut once!

View Quote

The CMMG Quick Detach Ejection Port Cover uses the existing Ejection Port Cover hinge rod holes...no modification needed to the receiver.  You install the aft end of the CMMG QD Ejection Port Cover first then the fwd end.  The fwd end of the hinge rod has a captured spring so all you need to do is compress the fwd part of the hinge rod then slip the fwd tip of the hinge rod into the existing hinge hole in the upper receiver.  Picture of spring location is below:

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 8:28:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

With regards to your CMMG gas deflector info: I saw your earlier post regarding in (as well as seattlite's pic showing it) and understand that it is a quick disconnect type but HOW does it attach?  By that I mean, do you have do drill holes?  Like I had said, I've never seen a 9mm AR in person, so I'm not sure if they all (Colt, RRA, etc) have gas deflectors that are machined into the upper receiver.  That's why I asked about the ejection port cover and whether it has to be shortened.  By the looks of seattlite's, I would conclude that the ejection port cover is short.

View Quote

The QD deflector from CMMG doesn't require any holes to be drilled in anything.  It uses the existing holes for the dust cover rod, pics above show it as best a possible.  The front sight would also attach to the rail section on top of the hand guard.  This is assuming you use a hand guard that has a top rail, if you get a hand guard without a rail then you wont be able to mount a front sight.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:13:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Got it!  That close up picture explains it all.  Thank you.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top