BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/16/2014 8:12:02 PM EDT
The Form 1 is already submitted for a 5" barrel and I'm waiting on a Tirant-9 for my DDLES 9mm AR. Yeah, I know that AAC hasn't released the 3-lug adapter for the Tirant, but I also have an Octane that could be used in its place while waiting. AAC said they'd be shipping soon. The can will probably be dedicated to the SBR for the most part and I don't want to deal with it unthreading itself while shooting.

Is anyone using the Tros 3-lug barrel? Do you like it? I found a couple threads in the archives where people were complaining about poor accuracy and a large poi shift with the Tros barrel, but I guess every manufacturer can let out a bad one or two. Any other suggestions?

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:15:58 PM EDT
[#1]
When I was first researching this, TROS was the overwhelming recommendation I received, and I should be the proud owner of one in the next week or so.  Unfortunately, my Octane 9 will be a bit behind it...
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 10:20:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a TROS 3 lug and a 9mm Octane,  at 25 yards the accuracy is excellent. I have not shot the barrel with out the can,  so I can not speak to POI shifts
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 10:27:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a 5" tros barrel under a MI hand guard. One time at the range I apparently didn't lock the suppressor (YHM cobra) and I launched it about 25 yards down range.

Luckily there was no damage.  I don't like not being able to really see under the hand guard.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 10:54:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:20:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't have one yet, but have been waiting for 8 months for my paid in full barrel. I was warned by multiple people about possible poor accuracy/POI shift, long wait times, poor communication, etc. but still ordered one because they are the only game in town for a 5" direct 3-lug. This market definitely needs some competition. I am going to buy an ADCO 4.5" if it doesn't show up by the end of October.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:26:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Same here still waiting on my barrel
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:47:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Maybe he only makes them when he's got enough orders to justify a run?  I remember I had to wait ~4 months or so to get my barrel after I ordered it.

I've gone through enough NFA related waits (both accessories and stamps) that I wasn't too concerned about it.  Eventually the barrel showed up,  and it worked as promised.

I'm not justifying the delay but unfortunately waits aren't that uncommon,  particularly in the NFA community.

-bob
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:37:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I have had my Tros 5” barrel for some time and use it with an SWR Trident suppressor.  I have a CMMG upper and lower dedicated for 9mm.  They registered my SBR through their Class Three department.  I find no POI shift with or without the suppressor.  I have the 3 lug adapter and another for my 9mm pistols.  I use it for Steel Challenge and IDPA.  Of Course, I can’t run those suppressed, because the Chronometer won’t pick up the shots.

Tros does do his barrels in lots periodically.  It’s easier to set up the shop for one product at a time and then move onto the next item.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:48:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Do TROS barrels work with Glock style lowers & mags?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:55:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do TROS barrels work with Glock style lowers & mags?
View Quote

Yup, they work fine.  My rifle has a 5" TROS barrel with a DDLES Glock mag lower.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:54:41 AM EDT
[#11]
I didn't want to wait for a TROS barrel so I got a 4.5" barrel threaded 1/2x28 from ADCO.  It works great for me, haven't really sat at a bench and tried to group it though, maybe I will try that tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:13:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have a 5" tros barrel under a MI hand guard. One time at the range I apparently didn't lock the suppressor (YHM cobra) and I launched it about 25 yards down range.  Luckily there was no damage.  I don't like not being able to really see under the hand guard.
View Quote

I have seen many incorrectly mounted suppressors launched downrange and I have never seen any of them damaged other that being dirty from landing on the ground.  By the time the gas pressure that launches them hits them the bullet has already exited.  Just put one witness mark on the suppressor and two on the handguard, maybe just a line on the suppressor and "OFF" and "ON" on the handguard.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:24:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I have seen many incorrectly mounted suppressors launched downrange and I have never seen any of them damaged other that being dirty from landing on the ground.  By the time the gas pressure that launches them hits them the bullet has already exited.  Just put one witness mark on the suppressor and two on the handguard, maybe just a line on the suppressor and "OFF" and "ON" on the handguard.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a 5" tros barrel under a MI hand guard. One time at the range I apparently didn't lock the suppressor (YHM cobra) and I launched it about 25 yards down range.  Luckily there was no damage.  I don't like not being able to really see under the hand guard.

That would be the more economical solution.

I bought another 9mm suppressor to use on everything else and keep the cobra dedicated on the 9mm AR.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:43:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I didn't want to wait for a TROS barrel so I got a 4.5" barrel threaded 1/2x28 from ADCO.  It works great for me, haven't really sat at a bench and tried to group it though, maybe I will try that tomorrow.
View Quote

Do you need to tighten up the can every mag or two? That's what I'm trying to avoid by going with a Tros barrel. But if that isn't an issue, then a ADCO barrel is certainly more economical. Plus, I wouldn't need to wait for AAC to release the 3-lug adapter for the Tirant-9. Maybe a bit of blue loctite on the threads would help?
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 4:17:33 PM EDT
[#15]
If it is threaded, it will back off and need to be checked periodically.  Even the three lug adapter needs to be checked as it can loosen from the suppressor.  Also the three lug adapters that screw onto a threaded barrel need to be checked while shooting.  Keep an oven mitt along to make checks.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 9:59:43 PM EDT
[#16]
I was in the same boat.  I decided to get an Octane not knowing if/when AAC would make a 3 lug adapter.  I use the TiRant on my pistol hosts and the Octane on the SBR.  As far as the barrel, its very accurate and I havent noticed any POI shift but then again, I only shoot suppressed.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:32:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Man that's a work of art!

Does your BHO work?
Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:50:19 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Man that's a work of art!

Does your BHO work?
Thanks!
View Quote

Thanks!  Yes, mine has worked 100% since day one.  I did have to tweak it a bit, but I haven't had any issues with my last round BHO.  One thing I stumbled across when adjusting mine that no one has ever mentioned is that there's a little washer that goes between the bolt hold open bar and the receiver.  Both are held in place with a dowel pin.  Make sure the washer is on towards the OUTSIDE of the receiver.  Mine came installed on the inside of the receiver and it wasn't untill I changed it that my last round BHO worked properly.  I have a friend who's washer was installed on the inside as well and once he changed it, his BHO worked correctly.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:36:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Nice build. Is that a KAC URX4? If so, does it also have a QD socket on the other side? The KAC website only shows a picture of the other side and there is no QD socket. Just wondering if it is truly asymmetrical or if they have since changed the design and removed the QD sockets all together.
Thanks,
Esox
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:54:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Nice build. Is that a KAC URX4? If so, does it also have a QD socket on the other side? The KAC website only shows a picture of the other side and there is no QD socket. Just wondering if it is truly asymmetrical or if they have since changed the design and removed the QD sockets all together.
Thanks,
Esox
View Quote

Yes, both sides.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:16:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Ya I check it after a couple mags, it usually comes just a little loose.  You will have to check the 3 lug too since it can come loose as well.  I even periodically check my QD rifle cans just to be sure, it's an easy thing to do to prevent damage to something so expensive and time consuming to get.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:59:42 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I don't have one yet, but have been waiting for 8 months for my paid in full barrel. I was warned by multiple people about possible poor accuracy/POI shift, long wait times, poor communication, etc. but still ordered one because they are the only game in town for a 5" direct 3-lug. This market definitely needs some competition. I am going to buy an ADCO 4.5" if it doesn't show up by the end of October.
View Quote
Have you spoken to Mark?  He just told me the barrel I ordered in August should ship this Friday...

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 7:23:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If it is threaded, it will back off and need to be checked periodically.  Even the three lug adapter needs to be checked as it can loosen from the suppressor.  Also the three lug adapters that screw onto a threaded barrel need to be checked while shooting.  Keep an oven mitt along to make checks.
View Quote

Does Tros use a threaded on adapter? I thought that they machined the barrel that way.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 11:11:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Have you spoken to Mark?  He just told me the barrel I ordered in August should ship this Friday...  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, I haven't spoke to him. I contacted him in June and in August. Both times I was told "2-3 weeks out" so I figured it wasn't worth inquiring any more. It will show up when it shows up.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 11:51:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Does Tros use a threaded on adapter? I thought that they machined the barrel that way.
View Quote

My Tros barrel is one piece with the three lug machined to the barrel.  There are three lug adapters that screw on to a threaded barrel.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 12:36:35 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
My Tros barrel is one piece with the three lug machined to the barrel.  There are three lug adapters that screw on to a threaded barrel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Tros barrels are machined with the 3 lug.  I have 3 on various rifles, no issues to speak of.

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:02:02 AM EDT
[#27]
I have two 5" TROS barrels and one 9" TROS barrel. No POI shift whatsoever. I use a Gemtech Multimount suppressor and a Liberty Suppressors Mystic with a Gemtech 3-lug mount. Both work well, no POI shift.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:51:30 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

****Update****

Received my barrel from TROS today, and it looks great...
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:31:14 PM EDT
[#29]
I sent a money order off last week for a barrel. Tried emailing and a phone call to no avail (to verify stock and confirm receipt of payment). I'm not jumping the gun yet as I know some folks have waited a LONG time but I am not impressed with the communication and ordering system. Communication is key especially when there is a non-refundable payment.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:41:59 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I sent a money order off last week for a barrel. Tried emailing and a phone call to no avail (to verify stock and confirm receipt of payment). I'm not jumping the gun yet as I know some folks have waited a LONG time but I am not impressed with the communication and ordering system. Communication is key especially when there is a non-refundable payment.
View Quote
I generally email Mark early in the morning, and he usually responds within a couple of hours...

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:58:50 PM EDT
[#31]
I ordered two 5 Inch barrels back in August and received them today.  They look top notch!
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:13:35 PM EDT
[#32]
I have emailed mark a few times in the past week and have gotten very quick replies (under 12 hours). For those that recently got theirs, when did you send your checks and get on the list?

Have these barrels always been black oxide finish inside and out?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:27:38 PM EDT
[#33]
I sent him an email about two weeks ago as well.  He told me about the upcoming run and if  I wanted one to send him in some $.  So I did.  Haven't seen anything yet.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:01:19 PM EDT
[#34]
He acknowledged that he received my MO the other day but I no idea on shipping/delivery. I was also informed 2-3 weeks ago that he was completing a run of barrels. This seems to be correct as others above have received theirs. I see that he has a good reputation but there are also those that got a bad taste in their mouth from the very poor communication. Simply sending off a MO and waiting for your barrel to show up in the mail isn't exactly how I prefer to do business. I'll give it another week or so before checking with him again. I just hope I didn't miss out and am caught waiting 6+ months for the next batch.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:03:45 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Just got the stamp back on mine.  The TROS came highly recommended when I started this project (10 years ago).  I hope to have some time to shoot it in the next couple of weeks.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=68655
View Quote

I think I did my TROS 5" build at the same time... except I still haven't followed up with a can for it yet...  

Glad to hear it is still an optimal config at least.  

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:26:50 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I have emailed mark a few times in the past week and have gotten very quick replies (under 12 hours). For those that recently got theirs, when did you send your checks and get on the list?

Have these barrels always been black oxide finish inside and out?
View Quote
I sent my check mid-August.  I'm not sure if the finish has always been the same, but it looks nice...

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 1:17:49 AM EDT
[#37]
Went and picked up my barrel from the post office today as well.  Looks fantastic.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:16:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Inquired in February, was told 8-10 weeks before next batch, sent my check to him in March, waited until June and emailed 3 times with no reply...finally got a reply of "2-3 weeks out", waited, emailed again in August and was told "2-3 weeks out", waited, FINALLY got mine yesterday.

It looks good and has a black melonite type finish inside and out.

This is NOT how to run a successful business unless you have a niche monopoly (which he currently does).
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:37:50 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Inquired in February, was told 8-10 weeks before next batch, sent my check to him in March, waited until June and emailed 3 times with no reply...finally got a reply of "2-3 weeks out", waited, emailed again in August and was told "2-3 weeks out", waited, FINALLY got mine yesterday.

This is NOT how to run a successful business unless you have a niche monopoly (which he currently does).
View Quote

Monopoly or not this isn't how you do it. About the time you think you can rest on your laurels somebody else will challenge you. I'm OK with long lead times and waiting but the lack of communication is very unsettling and irritating. I have no idea if he has any barrels in stock. It could show up today or December 31st. Who knows? I'm going to give it a week or two before I reach out to Mark again.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:21:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Monopoly or not this isn't how you do it. About the time you think you can rest on your laurels somebody else will challenge you. I'm OK with long lead times and waiting but the lack of communication is very unsettling and irritating. I have no idea if he has any barrels in stock. It could show up today or December 31st. Who knows? I'm going to give it a week or two before I reach out to Mark again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am surprised nobody has stepped up. Long as I can remember they are the only game in town for these and the quality does seem to be good.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:04:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wow, that sounds awfully familiar...

• Inquired in March, 4-6 weeks for next run

• Check sent in mid-late March

• Inquired about barrel in May (about 9 weeks later) and was informed they were shooting for mid June delivery

• Inquired again at the end of June and was told Mid July ETA

• Inquired again in the beginning of August (4 weeks after mid-July) and was told to ask for an ETA in a week

• Inquire again a week and a half later and was told early-mid September

• Inquired again late September and was told they would ship "next week"

• Finally received it a few days ago.

6 weeks ... 6 months ... what's the difference?

I'm happy with the quality of the barrel but the lack of timeliness and blown delivery dates are definitely a poor way to run a business. I always waited well past the promised delivery date before sending another inquiry.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:27:02 PM EDT
[#42]
My emails have been replied to by Mark promptly. Within hours. The barrel looks beautiful and was worth the wait. I am ordering another one and have no issue with TROS.  if you don't have the patience to deal with a speciality shop, then just choose a different path.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 4:14:53 AM EDT
[#43]
When you buy a barrel buy your can at the same time.  then wait for both...  take a chill pill custom stuff takes custom time.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:05:17 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

When you buy a barrel buy your can at the same time.  then wait for both...  take a chill pill custom stuff takes custom time.
View Quote

I did (well, SBR not can). The stamp came back first.

I'm absolutely thrilled with the quality of the work on the barrel and did try to order a second one.

No problems waiting for custom stuff. I think the nuance is in the promising of subsequent delivery dates again and again.

Anyways, it is what it is. The TROS 9mm 3 lug barrel is a very nice product and would go well with one's 9mm build.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:04:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Yeah I got my sbr stamp back first. Still waiting on the can. I actually spoke to mark at tros and he told me simply the runs just keep getting bigger and bigger and it's a struggle to keep up. I don't think he's lying he just keeps getting orders and estimates keep changing.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:05:31 AM EDT
[#46]
Also I've never had a problem with communication with him. Always emailed back within a few hours
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 2:40:41 PM EDT
[#47]
In line for a 5" 3 lug barrel.   From the form 1 above, did Mark use to make these in 5.5" length? Website currently says 5.0" and 9.0" available.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 9:36:05 PM EDT
[#48]
I really like my 9" TROS barrel. If I did it again I would have gone shorter.

Link Posted: 11/4/2014 10:42:33 PM EDT
[#49]
How do you order from/contact him?
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 11:02:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
How do you order from/contact him?
View Quote

You send a money order in and wait...

I gave up after a few weeks of poor communication and a missed delivery. Did I throw in the towel early and be impatient? I won't deny it. But I just didn't get a good vibe from the whole experience. After doing some research my experience was not too rare either.

I got a refund, purchased an Adco barrel and haven't looked back. I've got a can in jail so I have some time to decide on a direct thread or a HK 3 lug adapter.

All this makes me want to go into the 3 lug 9mm AR barrel business. TROS has a lock on it and they are a terribly run business.

As always YMMV.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top