Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/10/2014 11:58:02 PM EDT
Hello it was suggested I I post here. My question is  all do all of the M261 conversion kits have serial numbers to them? I have seen one that has the model info but where the serial number is normally found it simply has SN 126- and then no number that I have normally seen follow. Does anyone know what the significance of this is? Why were they serialized to begin with? Thanks Ike
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 9:11:50 AM EDT
[#1]
The following explanation comes to me from a retired U.S. Army supply officer:

To understand this is to understand the Big Army's post Vietnam inventory mentality.
When the M261 was first introduced the Army serialized almost everything including
some equipment and accessories that under normal wear and tear would be considered
perishable.

Eventually they realized that the M261 could not be economically repaired, but it was still
accountable for at inventory time.  Units that had "surplussed"  these accessories now had
to fill out extra disposition paper work. Serialization was then looked at as being a bad idea
for perishable/semi-perishable items.

With the regulation rewritten, the manufacturer was now free to drop the serial numbers.

Is he right? I don't know, but it sounds right.

Ted
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 10:41:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Ted thanks for the info it would make sense form what I see with regards to the serial numbers. The ones I have seen seem to be marked by the manufacturer not lower level depots.  Ike
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 3:18:36 AM EDT
[#3]
The ones I have had come and go over the years had no Sn#
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:21:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey thanks for the info!!!1
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top