Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/10/2014 1:43:16 PM EDT
I have a 4.5 inch adco barrel under a knights armament 8.5 inch rail.   My Octane 45 fits nicely under the rail......but is there a barrel extension I can purchase in the case I don't want to run the suppressor?  It's a 9mm adco barrel.

something like this.  This is a DPMS and when I called, I was told ID wouldn't allow for a 9mm bullet

Thanks,
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 2:08:43 PM EDT
[#1]
If your barrel is threaded 1/2x28, yes that will work on a 9mm barrel. I bought one from Brownells ($13.11) for the same reason. It works just fine as is. No modifications required.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 2:11:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I use one of the 5.5 inch flash hider from model 1 sales for my 9mm. I am not sure if it's made by DPMS but it looks similar. YMMV
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 2:52:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use one of the 5.5 inch flash hider from model 1 sales for my 9mm. I am not sure if it's made by DPMS but it looks similar. YMMV
View Quote

thanks, both of you.  that's what I'm looking for.  Just something to get the muzzle blast past the hand rail.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 3:22:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

ok,  I called.  Technician says internal diameter is 7/8 and he didn't recommend me using it on a 9mm barrel.  Also called DPMS with the model number from Brownell's and they said internal diameter would only work for a 223.   So, I'm back to square one.  I supposed they are not made for this purpose but can be used?   I'm not going to mess around with what if, so if I have to only use the rifle suppressed, I'm ok with that.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 3:53:31 PM EDT
[#5]
send it to me and I'll open it up....just cover return shipping
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 4:10:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
send it to me and I'll open it up....just cover return shipping
View Quote

Seriously,  Thank you.   I'll look into getting one.   I appreciate that.  I ordered one from Model 1.   I'll let you know if I need assistance.     It's in Texas, so I'll have it soon enough.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 4:42:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I ordered that flash hider with the intention of having a machine shop drilling it out 3/8" to accommodate the 9mm bullet. It was not necessary. Where you normally have a constriction just past the wrench flats was more than large enough, almost 1/2" A 9mm bullet drops freely thru the entire length. Unless they are being cautious about the bullet not being stabilized for approx. 5" of barrel length. I've shot it, without issues, so far.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 8:11:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Those 5.5" things 1/2-28 at back, and wide open all way to exit.. 9mm be like shooting through drain tile..

Pic denotes Olympic at left with mount cut off and 9mm inside the body... the right part is off my Bushmaster 1989+/- vintage 11.5 + 5.5 barrel with a 9mm sitting inside..

Should be no mods required.

Link Posted: 9/10/2014 8:56:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I just can't understand why they would say 9mm wouldn't work at DPMS.  unless they are too lazy to go measure.   If what I get is like what you have posted, then I'm good to go.  I'll probably always shoot the octane, but never know
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 9:56:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I just can't understand why they would say 9mm wouldn't work at DPMS.
They likely think your 9mm barrel has the 1/2-36 thread, and you cannot install a 1/2-28 threaded device on a 1/2-36 threaded barrel.
View Quote

I have never seen a 5.5" that was 22 caliber hole all way from mount to exit.. the thing would be rather heavy at that.. get your 5.5, and post back what it look like,, I will venture it back-bored all way to mount on the inside
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 11:11:17 AM EDT
[#11]
I have the DPMS 5.5" flash hider that I use for the same reason (4.5" barrel, 7.6" rail).  You might still be a bit short with the 5.5" hider and an 8.5" rail, the slots on the hider wont all be outside of the rail, but it will be close (probably half under).
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 11:22:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have the DPMS 5.5" flash hider that I use for the same reason (4.5" barrel, 7.6" rail).  You might still be a bit short with the 5.5" hider and an 8.5" rail, the slots on the hider wont all be outside of the rail, but it will be close (probably half under).
View Quote

hmm,   well I guess it's all they make for now.  It will have to do.  Hopefully I'm good.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:08:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I got my 5.5 inch barrel extension in today.  No modifications needed.  The ID is far larger than the 9 mm bullet.   Considering I'll be using this under a rail, how did you guys tighten it?  Did you use a crush washer or anything on the threads?  Not sure how you would get a crush washer on a 4.5 inch barrel.  Would be tricky
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 1:21:47 AM EDT
[#14]
I just thread mine on by hand and check for tightness as I would a can. Never have had it loosen up, though honestly I don't shoot without can very often...usually only if I need my shot timer to record my shots.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:09:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Just hand tightened and checked after each mag. Used it with a bumpfire stock and a couple hundred rounds last week, stayed tight.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top